Author Topic: Are other varieties of finger lime trees illegal in California?  (Read 1345 times)

ExpertPruning.com

• CA
    • View Profile
Are other varieties of finger lime trees illegal in California?
« on: November 07, 2017, 12:10:32 AM »
I recently saw a green finger lime tree at home depot. I called up a local nursery to see what varieties they have (I noticed theres tons of crazy colors).

He told me that standard green variety of finger lime is the only variety legally allowed outside of Australia.

Does anyone know what the situation is? I would love to get pink, red, and other cool varieties if its possible!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Are other varieties of finger lime trees illegal in California?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 10:20:02 AM »
four winds has a very sour variety that is different from the much tastier W&N Variety. i don't think the nurseries know the cultivar they are working with. so for now we get the proverbial "white peach".
Limes are supposedly try to type so I'm sure someone has absconded from down under with some seeds.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 11:13:48 AM »
I believe that there are some nursery's in Australia that will sell you plants but I don't know which ones do maybe some of our Aussie members can enlighten us? 

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »
Well the issue is the citrus quarentines as well as export/import/quarentine stuff.  I had heard rumors there was stuff under quarentine, but it would be for commercial people.

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 01:07:11 PM »
There's a long process for the any type of plant import.
Contact your local APHIS for details, but it involves several years of waiting and permits.

Brian is right though, many commercial businesses go through this way.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/import-information/permits/plants-and-plant-products-permits

Better get started now :D

Or just pick up some seeds and be patient.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk