Author Topic: Mangosteen tree near sunny window?  (Read 1318 times)

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
Mangosteen tree near sunny window?
« on: September 27, 2018, 05:53:57 PM »
I kept my "large" purple mangosteen in shade all summer but I'm thinking I will put it near a window that gets intense morning sun when I bring it in for the winter. I'm gathering this won't burn it but was curious for extra feedback...

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Mangosteen tree near sunny window?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 11:01:07 PM »
Have only kept purple mangosteen indoors for brief periods during storms and a cold spell or two when smaller. My guess is that it will not do well indoors due to the low humidity. Also, if it is not used to any sun, direct sun in the morning for several hours might be a bit much at first.

If you could partially shade it (progressively less) with another plant or something else, and mist daily, might get through the winter okay.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 11:32:37 PM »
You might want to cover it in a large clear plastic bag. It's definitely going to dry out inside (ESPECIALLY if your home's central heating goes on at any point).

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 02:02:34 AM »
Thank you for the replies. I have lots of houseplants that require humidity so aside from pebble trays with water I plan to mist and use a humidifier in the room once a day. I will do what it takes to keep the humidity up.

Now that the sun is not so strong I will give the tree an hour of direct sun per day till I bring it inside...

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 07:38:02 AM »
Thank you for the replies. I have lots of houseplants that require humidity so aside from pebble trays with water I plan to mist and use a humidifier in the room once a day.
Keep in mind purple mangosteen is a lot more sensitive than other common plants that require humidity, and if damaged are not going to be able to recover easily (particularly on young smaller plants).

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 07:38:47 PM »
Thank you for the replies. I have lots of houseplants that require humidity so aside from pebble trays with water I plan to mist and use a humidifier in the room once a day.
Keep in mind purple mangosteen is a lot more sensitive than other common plants that require humidity, and if damaged are not going to be able to recover easily (particularly on young smaller plants).

Its about 3 feet, I kept seedlings alive through most of last winter till I fell behind on watering, not planning to make that mistake again..