Author Topic: Advice on cold hardiness of West Indian avocados?  (Read 1418 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Advice on cold hardiness of West Indian avocados?
« on: October 02, 2012, 06:52:21 PM »
I will be planting a simmonds and a Donnie avocado tree in the ground soon. I will also be planing lychee trees.  Are these types of avocado trees more or less cold sensitive than lychee trees? 

Thanks

Brad
Brad

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on cold hardiness of West Indian avocados?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 07:04:06 PM »
The following are your cold hearty avos and their minimum temps (from ECHO -- "Information in above tables adapted from Florida Fruit by Lewis Maxwell and Rare and Exotic Tropical Fruit Trees and Palms, by Carl W. Campbell and Seymour Goldweber, published by the Caloosa Rare Fruit Exchange; and A guide for choosing rare fruit trees for your yard by David and Tina Silber, published by the California Rare Fruit Growers, Inc. and our own observations and experience"):

Brogdon - 22

Winter Mexican - 22

Custer's Red - 24

Day - 25

Marcus Pumpkin - 25

Lula - 25

Choquette - 26

Tonnage - 26

Russell - 32

As for Lychees, they show the minimum at 26.

http://www.echonet.org/content/fruitInformation/889
- Rob

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on cold hardiness of West Indian avocados?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:11:12 PM »
Thanks Rob.  I saw that info in a web search previously.  I guess I'm trying to figure out if they are more/less cold sensitive than lychees, so I know which trees to give the select few spots behind the house to.  The spots behind the house are protected from the northerly winds.

Brad
Brad