Author Topic: Mango Seed Germination  (Read 1398 times)

Sidd

• California, 9B
    • View Profile
Mango Seed Germination
« on: August 29, 2018, 09:40:04 PM »
Hello,

What do most people on this forum do to germinate their mango seeds? Is it okay to wrap each seed in a paper towel and lightly spray with water and store in a cupboard for a week, or are there other better methods to germinate?

Thanks.
Sid

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Seed Germination
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 10:05:17 PM »
I did the paper towel in a Ziploc bag method. 100% germination for me. I just left it on a table.
-Kris

Sidd

• California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 10:08:12 PM »
I did the paper towel in a Ziploc bag method. 100% germination for me. I just left it on a table.

Thanks, could I ask how long you let it sit? I'm assuming you left it in shade and not in an area where sunlight would shine down on it?

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 10:19:39 PM »
I peel off the husk and put the bean-like seed onto the surface of seed starting potting mix, in a small pot. You can put a perforated platic bag over it if you want to keep the humidity up.
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 10:27:01 PM »

Thanks, could I ask how long you let it sit? I'm assuming you left it in shade and not in an area where sunlight would shine down on it?
I don't recall exactly but it was around 2 weeks? My table gets partial sun but not direct. They were wrapped in paper towel anyways so not a big deal. Mango seeds have been one of my easiest to germinate. And I did remove the husk and paper around the seed as So_Cal_Mike mentioned.

I germinated Nam Doc Mai, Manilla (Polyembryonic) and I believe tommy atkins (mono) about 15 total.
-Kris

Cort

• 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 10:44:11 PM »
removing the husk was the hard part. Mango seeds are so easy, just wet paper towlels and a ziplock bag and your all good