Author Topic: Indochinese mangoes  (Read 2201 times)

PBm4nG0

• Broward 10B
    • View Profile
Indochinese mangoes
« on: July 07, 2020, 10:51:41 PM »
I am a fan of the Saigon type indochinese mangoes.  I have ZINC, Sweet tart and K3 Kathy.
Have tasted Fairchild and it’s a nice tasting little mango picked and ripened properly.
 Question is how much different as far as taste goes are Cambodiana (ZINC’s) possible parent, Dupuis Saigon, or CAC. Never tried any of them, seems like they are hard to find. I can plant maybe 2 more trees in my yard and it’s so hard to choose. Kinda wanted another Indochinese maybe Saigon type.

I also like to experiment with seedings. I planted a P-22 seedling (A ZINC Gary hybrid) because I noticed the leaves when ripped have the same sweet smelling hard to explain aroma as my Sweet Tart, ZINC and Kathy tree. Different than all the other varieties I have. Funny the Florigon seedings I potted up have this same aroma also except for 2 out of the 8 seedings I planted. Makes sense I guess Florigon being a Saigon seedling. Just think this is fascinating in a corny way. THANKS for listening!

Bruce
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 05:55:32 PM by PBm4nG0 »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Saigon mangoes.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 03:13:12 AM »
If you like the indochinese aroma, you will like parsnips, they have a similar if not identical aroma.

It's a vegetable that lends itself well to desserts.

You may also consider Maha Chanok if you like the tropical aroma of durian.

PBm4nG0

• Broward 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 09:38:41 PM »
Funny, I was sharing a Florigon mango with a friend and he said around the stem it taste like parsnips. Can’t remember the last time I ate parsnips but I guess I’ll have to get some.

Maha Chanok is good. Like I said, it’s so hard to choose a variety if you only have a couple spots left. To many good ones out there now.
But I also think disease resistance is important. I’ll take a little hit on flavor if a variety has very good disease resistance.

Bruce

Acetogenin

• USA, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 09:51:40 PM »
Cat hoa loc was 2nd best mango iv ate.  And iv ate about 70 types this yr

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 11:33:38 PM »
I'm a Maha fan, but like you said competition is stiff.

For some ideas on parsnips as well as getting little humans to eat vegetables, you can check out this Good Eats transcript.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 02:23:11 PM »
This is my favorite resin flavor in Mangos as well.

Zinc and its relatives are definitely where you should start.
Also, you need to have Cac if you like that flavor.
So far it has the deepest Indochinese flavor I've tasted (except for some Black/Buxton spice seedlings from Guyana, but these have fiber)

If i had to go for three with this flavor it would be Cac, Zinc and Buttercream.
P22 and J-14 are good too, just don't know much about them yet.

Also if you rename the post to Indochinese flavor mangoes or something like that, I think you'll get more opinions

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 03:02:05 PM »
Also if you rename the post to Indochinese flavor mangoes or something like that, I think you'll get more opinions
That would be a good idea.  Just go back and modify the title of your first post.
John

PBm4nG0

• Broward 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Indochinese mangoes
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 06:03:28 PM »
Modified, thanks for the advice guys.

skhan I tasted a P-22 last year and it was really good. Was told it was out now but I’ve never seen it anywhere. Maybe it’s a special order tree.

Never had buttercream. Is it supposed to be a ZINC sibling? I do have a ZINC tree.

Bruce

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 09:54:37 PM »
Modified, thanks for the advice guys.

skhan I tasted a P-22 last year and it was really good. Was told it was out now but I’ve never seen it anywhere. Maybe it’s a special order tree.

Never had buttercream. Is it supposed to be a ZINC sibling? I do have a ZINC tree.

Bruce

P22 was released by ZHPP but not sure you will find it outside of that nursery.  ZHPP is strictly wholesale only (you will need a provide your license documents to purchase there).

Buttercream is an Edward seedling.  Its an uneven shaped (actually ugly) fruit that is sweet and like by many.  It has a soft texture when ripe that to me is offputting.
- Rob

PBm4nG0

• Broward 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 12:22:43 AM »
Was poking around on Tropical acres site and came across a Saigon mango which could be the original one that was sent to David Fairchild in 1902.  Seems interesting especially if it really is a true dwarf. I can probably fit it in my yard if it is, running out of room Cac maybe to big.

Has anyone tried this mango? Is it good or worth planting and does it taste similar to maybe a Fairchild?

Thanks

Bruce

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 05:27:54 AM »
Indochina is a big area comprising everything between India and China. Youi don't hear it used much any more. There sure are lots of mango varieties and styles in such a big zone.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 08:24:09 AM »
Was poking around on Tropical acres site and came across a Saigon mango which could be the original one that was sent to David Fairchild in 1902.  Seems interesting especially if it really is a true dwarf. I can probably fit it in my yard if it is, running out of room Cac maybe to big.

Has anyone tried this mango? Is it good or worth planting and does it taste similar to maybe a Fairchild?

Thanks

Bruce

It’s pretty good, maybe better than Fairchild honestly.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2020, 10:20:21 AM »
I am excited about Saigon, thank you Alex, i grafted the scions from you to Glenn, it's seedling and Saigon was accepted  :). Saigon seems to have very close nodes so i feel it will grow compact. I am not a big fan of Indochinese taste from what i have tasted so far and compared to Classic or Indian type but Sweet Tart is an exception. Is Saigon supposed to have indochinese flavor? I have tasted Glenn and i get a classic taste but does Saigon have more of Indochinese flavor compared to Glenn?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 10:53:15 AM »
Saigon should not be anything like Glenn.  Indochinese hybrid vs classic
- Rob

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2024, 12:50:00 PM »
I'm bumping this up.

After tasting many, many mangoes last year, I decided that ZINC was one of the best. Unfortunately it's a mono type fruit.

The so called ZINC clone P22 is one that I also found to be quite similar, but I've never seen the seed on one to be able to determine if it is Poly.

I'm looking to grow a poly type ZINC clone, but since there isn't much info out there about P22's seed, I'm now considering Cambodiana.

How far off from ZINC is Cambodiana?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk