Author Topic: Avocado trunk . problem. Need help  (Read 2709 times)

recifecbba

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Avocado trunk . problem. Need help
« on: January 04, 2017, 08:39:03 PM »

4+ year old beautiful 8 foot tall avocado (hass or florida hass from pine island) looks great and healthy, 30 + fruit last year and this year also great yield (harvesting now). Im worried by the white moist spot you can see in the picture. seemed to resolve last year but now is back worse. The tree seems fine. Any advice?

Also just bought Hawaiian green sapote and Fairchild #2 Canistel from LAra Farms. Cant wait to get them in the ground.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado trunk . problem. Need help
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 01:30:15 AM »

4+ year old beautiful 8 foot tall avocado (hass or florida hass from pine island) looks great and healthy, 30 + fruit last year and this year also great yield (harvesting now). Im worried by the white moist spot you can see in the picture. seemed to resolve last year but now is back worse. The tree seems fine. Any advice?

Also just bought Hawaiian green sapote and Fairchild #2 Canistel from LAra Farms. Cant wait to get them in the ground.

That green sapote is the Poamoho variety.   You will notice the leaves look slightly different when compared to the more common varieties such as Whitman.  Good luck with it, it could wind up being the gem in your collection.
- Rob

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 08:04:51 AM »
If you can post a picture with a camera that takes good close ups would be better to be able to tell you what I think.
I,m very curious since I have not seen those round lessions in my grove. i was cleaning collar canker the last week but never round . Where are you in So Fl and what type of soil do you have? Any insects working the spots?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

recifecbba

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 08:18:10 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I am very excited to get the Sapote in the ground and hopefully taste the fruits in a few years.
CTMiami, thanks for checking in. I am in Palm Beach county, Royal palm beach. Deep, sandy soil as far as I can tell, definitely well draining. Have not seen any insects around the lesions. I did have quite a bit of purple queen as a groundcover around it but just mowed that down today, and also removed some of the lower branches close to the lesions in the hopes that better airflow will help (if it turns out to be a fungus). I will try and take better pictures tomorrow.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 09:16:24 AM »
Post the pictures and later I will give you some formulation to control I would not leave unattended.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

recifecbba

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 05:19:13 PM »

Hope these pics are better. Thank you for your time and expertise!

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
  • The philosopher of fruit
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 07:06:11 PM »
Have you hit it with a fungicide? That might help.
The hardest plants to grow are often those most worth growing.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:47:54 PM »
Those look like "sugar Volcano" some times when trees get drilled by borer, ambrosias and the like the tree's defenses generate this type of reaction. I have never seen it like this.
If that would be my tree I would scrub clean the spots with soap and water to take a clear look at what is under, paying attention if you see any holes. Then I would cut away all sick or necrotic tissue. I would apply Agri-phos, Reliant  or similar type of fungicide (Mono Di Potassium Salts of Phosphorous acid)
http://questproducts.us/pageResources/productResources/reliantSystemicFungicide/pdf/reliantLabel2016-09-28.pdf
with pentrabark following the label recommendation for basal application https://www.bartlett.com/productlabels/pdfs/Maryland/Product%20Labels/PENTRA%20BARK%20.pdf
If that is too complicated and costly since you probably don't have the products, after you sanitize the area, get some White latex paint 50% paint and 50% water and add some copper fungicide to taste and paint the areas.
After you clean please take pictures to get a better look at what lays under the sugar volcano.  I have never seen them like this in any of my 2700 trees,  I'm very interested on this.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

recifecbba

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 11:05:19 AM »
So i cleaned away the white stuff yesterday and went out this morning to take a pic and the white stuff had returned overnight, only a thin even coating throughout the recessed areas and also a little bit surrounding. I cleaned it away again and took these pictures. I didnt notice any holes, and only a couple sugar ants (more in my kitchen).

recifecbba

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 11:07:09 AM »
I should explain that the recessed areas first appeared as a dark softer spot on the trunk that when squeezed let out some watery foam. So i cut out the areas and those revealed these recessed areas. Then the white stuff appeared slowly over months on these recessed areas.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 02:36:14 PM »
What ever it is is not good. I would clean and take pictures after is cleaned and would apply some of the options described in prior post. Do not leave the shavings from the cleanup in the soil.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com