Author Topic: Giant Granadilla Fruits Growing in San Jose, CA  (Read 3817 times)

HoangNguyen

• US, California, San Jose, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Giant Granadilla Fruits Growing in San Jose, CA
« on: November 23, 2016, 03:43:04 PM »
Giant Granadilla (Passiflora quadrangularis) grows in San Jose, CA.  The vine is in the ground and covers an area of 4ftx10ft.  In Vietnam, it is called dua tay.

I have fresh seeds from the fruits.  Please go to buy, sell, and trade if you want to grow it.

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Granadilla Fruits Growing in San Jose, CA
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 11:40:12 PM »
Has it made it through a winter yet? My edulis "Fredrick" had no damage last winter (very mild) but my original vines were killed three winters ago during a cold spell of a few days.

HoangNguyen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »
Has it made it through a winter yet? My edulis "Fredrick" had no damage last winter (very mild) but my original vines were killed three winters ago during a cold spell of a few days.

It was 3 yrs old from the seed.  It went through 2 winter in container.  I just put it in the ground May 2016.  The time from flower to ripe fruit is about 3 months as long as Fredrick's.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:56:09 PM by HoangNguyen »

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 06:24:22 AM »
Is it self fertile? How's the taste?
Lorenzo

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 11:11:27 AM »
Beautiful huge fruit Hoang, you have a nice vine going hope you get a lot of fruit off it thanks for posting 8)

Jon

• US NY Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 04:11:25 PM »

It was 3 yrs old from the seed.  It went through 2 winter in container.  I just put it in the ground May 2016.  The time from flower to ripe fruit is about 3 months as long as Fredrick's.
Beautiful fruit and flower, Good luck!!!
Let us know how it tastes please.
Jon

HoangNguyen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 12:35:28 PM »
Jon

The weight of each is about 2.5lbs to 3.0lbs. The fragrance is not so strong as passion fruit.  The arils (things cover the seeds) are more juicy than passion fruit, and They are very tasty, excellent.  The sweetness/sourness ratio is 7/3.  Thickness of the seeds are thinner than passion fruit seeds, and the seeds are very crunchy too.  The rind is edible.  We mix the rind and arils like the picture below.

Hoang

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 02:59:33 PM »
Your flowers and fruits look great! :) I grow this species as well. I have 2 seedlings and one plant grown from a cutting. Did it take three years to fruit, or is that how long you've had it? 
Anisha

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 04:07:19 PM »
Jon

The weight of each is about 2.5lbs to 3.0lbs. The fragrance is not so strong as passion fruit.  The arils (things cover the seeds) are more juicy than passion fruit, and They are very tasty, excellent.  The sweetness/sourness ratio is 7/3.  Thickness of the seeds are thinner than passion fruit seeds, and the seeds are very crunchy too.  The rind is edible.  We mix the rind and arils like the picture below.

Hoang
Congratulations my friend! This is a great idea!   :P