Author Topic: Be mindful  (Read 2359 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Be mindful
« on: June 04, 2018, 09:39:45 PM »
Came across this little eastern coral snake a few weeks ago in my yard. It backtracked from a grassy patch on through my potted fruit trees before disappearing amongst some seedling papayas.

I love snakes and feel lucky every time I come across one in the wild, but this reminds me to be mindful walking barefoot around my yard and working around my potted plants.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:53:14 PM by fliptop »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Be mindful
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 10:09:20 PM »
For those who do not know...coral snakes have poisonous venom. Like most snakes they like tall neglected unmowed grass. Thanks for the heads up.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 10:35:47 PM »
Like my dad always said when I wanted to pick up a colorful snake -
Red against black, friend of Jack.
Red against yellow, kills a fellow.

Hopefully the cute, dangerous little guy is keeping you pest-free!

markinnaples

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 11:42:23 PM »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 11:47:13 PM »
That's awesome you didn't kill it.  Their diet is mostly snakes especially ring necks.
They will eat skinks and glass lizards too. Super venomous but very non offensive.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 03:53:01 AM »

(Note that the "red and yellow" rhyme only works for North America. Not even sure if it works for all of North America)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 07:52:07 AM »

Around my town we get warned to leave all snakes alone even if you think it is not venomous.They are so variable that a mistake could be fatal.The link has terrible pics of some of the more common local ones.No one seems to have rules or rhymes about which ones are ok. The local basketball team in the national league is called the taipans in honour of the snake.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 07:53:55 AM »

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 08:48:59 AM »
Pretty impressive list of snakes there, Mike T! How common is it to come across any?

Sightings here for me are unfortunately rare occasions. I've been in my house six years and that's the first time I've seen a coral snake here (only second time in my life coming across one). Seeing it did remind me to be aware, as should anyone who may encounter a venomous snake while out gardening.

As a keeper of snakes and a fan of all reptiles and amphibians, I cannot resist the urge to try and catch any nonvenomous snakes I come across. If I am not 100% certain I can identify it, I admire it from afar.

Here is a nonvenomous corn snake found cruising about the yard.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 09:16:01 AM »
Luckily I have never seen a taipan, eastern brown or death adder in the yard only a small eyed snake which is not lethal.I have had 4 species of pythons and the biggest was about 5.5m and ate my ducks and geese. I have seen 6 other harmless types over a long period and one mildly venomous snake in my yard, and would only see snakes 4 or 5 times a year. People are polarised here and many people try to kill any snake they see. Warnings seem to get people freaked out by snakes and thinking everything is a taipan.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 09:20:34 AM »
I am a reptile an amphibian person also and have done a fair bit with them professionally. In spite of handling all kinds of snakes confidently over a long period I am a bit spooked by brown snakes and taipans.

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 10:56:29 AM »
I wouldn't consider myself by any stretch in a rural area but I've got plenty of wildlife visitors in the 2 years I've been at this house.  Didn't get any pictures but had a Bald Eagle back in January - here's the pictures I do have:

King Snake - lookin like the Coral snake - this is the friend of Jack after he decided to go for a swim in my pool.

Hanging out by my mangos eating the geckos.  Prior to his arrival I had around 30 geckos - was down to 2 or 3 after he left.

Wild turkey anyone?

Gopher Tortoise took up residence on my neighbors property but he pays me a visit every few days when I'm out back with the doge.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 12:27:48 PM »
Glad you are ok. Some areas down this way reportedly have lots of coral snakes. I've yet to see one. We catch grey and black racers from time to time. Look really cool when they are babies, more like a colorful corn snake. Also, Fl ringneck snakes show up occasionally. They may even have a mild venom, but seem harmless. Have seen a few moccasins/cottonmouths around the canals.

If I lived in Australia, would definitely look at catching snakes a bit differently. Too many deadly species there, with all kinds of different looks to them.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 12:39:23 PM »
I wouldn't consider myself by any stretch in a rural area but I've got plenty of wildlife visitors in the 2 years I've been at this house.  Didn't get any pictures but had a Bald Eagle back in January - here's the pictures I do have:

King Snake - lookin like the Coral snake - this is the friend of Jack after he decided to go for a swim in my pool.

Hanging out by my mangos eating the geckos.  Prior to his arrival I had around 30 geckos - was down to 2 or 3 after he left.

Wild turkey anyone?

Gopher Tortoise took up residence on my neighbors property but he pays me a visit every few days when I'm out back with the doge.

The snake in the first picture looks like a scarlet snake not a scarlet king. The scarlet king has brighter colors and
the bands go all around the snake. The scarlet snake the underside is white. Scarlet snakes primary diet is reptile
eggs? Once I saw a slider ( water turtle ) laying eggs in my Mom's yard so I took a cub scout pack over there that evening
and we dug the eggs up and I let each kid take a couple home to hatch. When we went there a 24" scarlet
snake was digging at the spot. I wish we had time to watch, I can't imagine the snake eating a turtle egg?

The scarlet king and scarlet snakes are harmless and although they are fairly common they are secretive.

For fun when I see black racers in my property I catch them (sometimes). They are quick and I have 2 1/2 acres.
Once you get a beat on them they flare up while they are fleeing and start striking, I actually catch them and take
them down the road. Someone let curlytails go and I want to let them get established. When you see a racer try to catch
it. Sometimes they just flat out disappear. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 12:42:02 PM by achetadomestica »