Author Topic: BUMP: Which cold hardy avocados are the . . . ?  (Read 810 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
BUMP: Which cold hardy avocados are the . . . ?
« on: October 16, 2020, 10:00:01 PM »
Quote from: CTMIAMI
. . . . most of the so called cold hardy avocados are not really that good.

CTMIAMI,

You got me to wondering with your remark above.

If, as you say, cold hardy avocados are not the tastiest, which of the cold hardy cultivars would you recommend as being the more tasty selections.

BTW the one I have is a 'Mexicola Grande' and it is about twelve feet tall now after being close to three years in the ground.

It bloomed profusely last year and set one fruit which fell off after it got ripe and we did not notice it 'til it was on the ground too long.  This season it bloomed well again but set no fruit.  I have read that this is a type A avocado and thus self-fertile, so where was the fruit?

Maybe it needs a vecino to encourage it to set more fruit.  Anyway, still curious to know y'all's thoughts on cold hardy avocado cultivars.

TIA

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 01:16:09 AM by Epicatt2 »

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
BUMP: Which cold hardy avocadoes are the . . . ?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 02:12:18 PM »
Since there's been lots of avocado discussion today I'm still wondering which ones y'all might consider to be the better tasting cold-tolerant avocados for somewhere like Florida 9b.

As I mentioned before the only avocado that currently I have is 'Mexicola Grande', purchased because of its cold-hardiness and because of the tree's smaller mature stature.

So, what other cold-hardy cultivars with better flavor can you recommend?

STIA

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:52:09 PM by Epicatt2 »

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
Re: BUMP: Which cold hardy avocadoes are the . . . ?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 02:45:45 PM »
I like bacon and stuart/stewart. Stuart range is 18-24* depending on the cite and bacon is 24*

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 03:29:07 PM »
Super Hass which is early which would give you the California type flavor Monroe which is late would you give you the Florida type flavor
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 06:46:38 PM »
Thanx CM and Bovine.  I will check into the cultivars that you mentioned.

One thing I did not understand exactly was what is the difference in the 'California' and the 'Florida' taste of acocados that you mentioned?  I ask this because I am not much acquainted with avocados and their flavor variations.  I always hated the taste of grocery store avocados here and declined to eat them, yuk!

I never did become enamored with avocados 'til I finally got to taste fresh ripes ones in Costa Rica and those were wonderful and buttery tasting.

So I am thinking to get a 'friend' for my 'Mexicola Grande' for companionship (and cross pollinating) and hopefully improved fruit-set.  Wondering now whether 'Brogdon' would have decent flavor as a cold-tolerant choice.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 06:24:18 AM »
Thanx CM and Bovine.  I will check into the cultivars that you mentioned.

One thing I did not understand exactly was what is the difference in the 'California' and the 'Florida' taste of acocados that you mentioned?  I ask this because I am not much acquainted with avocados and their flavor variations.  I always hated the taste of grocery store avocados here and declined to eat them, yuk!

I never did become enamored with avocados 'til I finally got to taste fresh ripes ones in Costa Rica and those were wonderful and buttery tasting.

So I am thinking to get a 'friend' for my 'Mexicola Grande' for companionship (and cross pollinating) and hopefully improved fruit-set.  Wondering now whether 'Brogdon' would have decent flavor as a cold-tolerant choice.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==
[/quote

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/197515/hass-avocado-vs-florida-avocado-what-is-the-difference/
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk