Author Topic: Bacon Avocado  (Read 8457 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Bacon Avocado
« on: November 19, 2012, 09:49:48 PM »
Looking for opinions for those who have personally grown/eaten this variety (growth habit, quality of fruit, "make up" of fruit (texture, richness, oil/fat content, flavor etc.), size of fruit, and harvest season on this variety, especially from those who have grown it and/or tasted it (Florida grown).  Would also like to here opinions for the Cali peeps.

Thx!
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Bacon Avocado
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 10:48:18 PM »
Looking for opinions for those who have personally grown/eaten this variety (growth habit, quality of fruit, "make up" of fruit (texture, richness, oil/fat content, flavor etc.), size of fruit, and harvest season on this variety, especially from those who have grown it and/or tasted it (Florida grown).  Would also like to here opinions for the Cali peeps.

Thx!

Rob

Bacon is not consider a very good tasting avocado here in Socal but it's very cold hardy and a nice B pollinizer. They call it a medium size tree but the trees I've seen around here are large and spreading. I happen to like the fruit but like the Fuerte the skin is very thin, great for guacamole. I had a Bacon that was severely burned during a heatwave and never bounce back and died.

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 10:49:36 PM »
If I recall that avocado is a great b type cultivar. I remember that the trees spread outwards and can be VERY large. Great pollinator, cold hardy, and the taste is very 'watery'.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:01:35 PM »
If I recall that avocado is a great b type cultivar. I remember that the trees spread outwards and can be VERY large. Great pollinator, cold hardy, and the taste is very 'watery'.

correct Xeno, I confuse it with the Fuerte.....I think is that thin skin, Fuerte is a better tasting avocado.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 01:19:30 AM »
I thought the Bacon grows more straight up than outwards. Anyway, I love the taste of this one.

On a different note, is anyone growing the "Daily 11" I planted one last year and kept 2 fruit on, they are huge already. I would like to know when they are usually ready to pick in So Cal?

Mark in Chula Vista

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 02:15:51 AM »
Bacon is considered the most cold tolerant of all the guatemalans in Australia and it does well poleward of 30 latitude.It is not recommended for the tropics and subtropics.It is rated as one of the finest for eating but in the middle of the pack.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »
In my CA days I found Bacon to be about the least flavorful, most watery-textured avocado.  Is it even suitable for FL?
John

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 02:27:08 PM »
In my country Greece Bacon is used mainly as rootstock because of cold tolerance and disease resistance. Also Zutano for the same reasons. About tasting I would say in the middle of the scale
Mike

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 02:51:14 PM »
The statement I meant to make is it is not considered one of the best avos.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »
I actually like Bacon, though its not my favorite avocado. Creamy, would be a good guacamole avocado. I've got 2 of them growing, and they have been pretty vigorous, upright growers. The fruit mature in October here.

Both trees bloomed in the spring but only one held some fruit to maturity, while the other one decided to keep growing. My guess and based on how its done elsewhere in the state, its a so-so producer here.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 06:08:25 PM by Squam256 »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 01:54:56 AM »
I actually like Bacon, though its not my favorite avocado. Creamy, would be a good guacamole avocado. I've got 2 of them growing, and they have been pretty vigorous, upright growers. The fruit mature in October here.

Both trees bloomed in the spring but only one held some fruit to maturity, while the other one decided to keep growing. My guess and based on how its done elsewhere in the state, its a so-so producer here.

Bacon is oily(18%) and well suited for Guacamole. They are small so you buy 5 or 10 for $1.00 in the Hispanic markets.

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 01:30:33 AM »
So I recently tasted the Bacon avocado and let me tell you this: I cannot fathom why anyone would want to eat this tasteless fruit. The only reason in my opinion why you would want the tree would be for pollination of other avocado trees. For the record I ate this fresh and did not use it as guacamole. I also bought it at a farmers market and have consume quite my fair share of bacon avocados. Bleh.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 07:18:46 PM »
I guess the name gives us a false perspective of flavor of that variety of avocado. I don't think it would taste like Bacon if it's bleh..  ;D
Alexi

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 10:49:03 PM »
I guess the name gives us a false perspective of flavor of that variety of avocado. I don't think it would taste like Bacon if it's bleh..  ;D

Bacon is also a last name.  Maybe it was named after the person who discovered this variety.
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 10:57:33 PM »
I have heard direct reports of people growing this in zone 9 in Florida and the quality is worthy.  I can not directly verify.  It may be an issue of worthy in one state but not in another...
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 12:05:49 AM »

Bacon is also a last name.  Maybe it was named after the person who discovered this variety.

Was named after James E. Bacon of Buena Park, California.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 12:17:37 AM »
I have heard direct reports of people growing this in zone 9 in Florida and the quality is worthy.  I can not directly verify.  It may be an issue of worthy in one state but not in another...

Bacon is just watery not *a tasteless fruit *as Xeno describes it. There are some people that actully like it down here and their are others that don't. You don't need to go to a Farmers market to try it your local Superior or any other Hispanic Supermarkets sell them. 

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 12:21:15 AM »

Was named after James E. Bacon of Buena Park, California.

Thanks for the info.  :)
Alexi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 01:02:30 AM »
These reports are all so different i really wonder if people are talking about the same variety?: watery, bleh, very good, 18% oil content. That is very high! An avocado with that high an oil content would definitely not be watery. I remember eating Bacon avocado in California and it was a very good avocado, certainly better than any Florida avocado i've ever had. Perhaps some of the stores are picking it too early and maybe that's why it's been watery or bleh?
http://www.ucavo.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/Panorama.cgi?AvocadoDB~query~WebExport
Oscar

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 03:26:56 AM »
The Bacon avocados I have had were very large, thin & smooth skin, with a very nice appearance and texture... but no flavor.  With so many great avocados (i.e. Haas) available in SoCal, it's a mystery to me how this one ends up in markets here.

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 10:29:31 PM »
The Bacon avocados I have had were very large, thin & smooth skin, with a very nice appearance and texture... but no flavor.  With so many great avocados (i.e. Haas) available in SoCal, it's a mystery to me how this one ends up in markets here.
Yup. It's kinda like eating textured air.

Like I've said guys I'm eating these fresh (I've eaten close to 18 of them)and these would not be my go to avocado. If I was surrounded by different varieties of avocado I would eat everything else first then probably save the Bacon for last. Not because I'm saving the best for last but because I'm sure they would be decayed beyond belief that I wouldn't get the chance to eat them!  ;D And remember taste is subjective!