Author Topic: Help: wax apple won’t flower  (Read 3467 times)

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
Help: wax apple won’t flower
« on: June 30, 2018, 04:17:28 AM »
I need help.  For the last 5 years my 1 foot wax apple tree turn into a 6 foot monster that won’t flower.  I try trimming it, composting, starving it, cutting the bark off, and heavy fertilizer but it won’t flower.  I am about to relocate it or get a new one.  The only thing i have not done is not watering it.  I am going to try to cut back to once a week watering cycle.

Advice is greatly needed.

Thanks.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
Re: Help: wax apple won’t flower
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 09:37:32 AM »
good grief why are you watering it more than once a week or even weekly for that matter is it in a small pot???                                         Patrick

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 10:53:49 AM »
It is in the ground.  Watering plants is therapy for me.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 01:57:32 AM »
Have you tried 0-0-50 sulfate of potash? I use it regularly on any trees producing flowers/fruit and I believe it certainly helps. I would do it now since they are starting to flower and you could still get a decent crop. I buy mine from SoAg by the case- not too expensive. One bummer I've encountered on my tree is that it will produce 100's of fruit, so much so, that it will start snapping off (due in part of their brittleness) in large sections if not tied properly- or possums break 3ft chunks off when they are already overburdened with fruits. Good luck. Chris
-Chris

andrewq

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 11:41:32 PM »
any pics of it?

how many hours of sunlight is it getting?

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 11:30:32 AM »
Here is the tree.  I recently trimmed it.  We are having a heat wave this week in Southern California so i won’t water it.  I will try potassium to see if this will help. 

This variety is the green wax apple from Thailand.  It produce a lot of foliage but no flower.  This year i will try to minimize the watering to see if it will flower otherwise i may replace it with my many annonas.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »
Most of my wax jambu are also not flowering this year but have flowered/fruited last year. (One, the red-green, is setting a small amount of fruit but it barely flowered.) They're in-ground and I run my drip irrigation three times a week in summer. Do they do better with less water? I was under the impression frequent watering helped them flower, and less water helped the fruits sweeten more.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 02:00:54 AM »
Why the "no water" during this insane heat wave Mikey? They love water and it's more important to take care of them when it gets 110 degrees. The more you irrigate the less the damage from the intense heat...a hydrated tree is happier than a parched tree in the heat. My tree is barely flowering this year as compared to previous years. Good luck. Chris
-Chris

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 04:19:24 AM »
My Black Diamond wax jambu has several fruit plumping up, and is now pushing more flower buds, too.  Perhaps it's just the variety?

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 06:08:50 PM »
You may have a seedling or you may be trimming off the new growth where the buds form on wax jambus.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 06:14:07 PM »
You may have a seedling or you may be trimming off the new growth where the buds form on wax jambus.
Do buds form on current year growth or last year's growth?

I pinch of new growth on mine because it's every leggy, maybe that is inhibiting flowering :'(
Also a seedling. Do seedlings only usually flower when huge?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 07:48:15 PM »

I pinch of new growth on mine because it's every leggy, maybe that is inhibiting flowering :'(

Yes, the fruit forms on the ends of the springs new growth. I'm not sure how long a seedling takes to fruit. I've only had airlayers.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 03:45:13 AM »

Yes, the fruit forms on the ends of the springs new growth. I'm not sure how long a seedling takes to fruit. I've only had airlayers.
Thanks Mark! :)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 02:33:00 AM »
According to this article http://www.apaari.org/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/02/Wax-Apple-Industry-in-Taiwan_15-2-2014.pdf

Cover tree with black net for 20-40 days then light pruning and add fertilizer.
I'm not sure if the heat buildup from black net or low light help.

Si Duong

• Hayward, Northern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 03:08:41 AM »
Mickey,

Your tree is very healthy and happy. May be your tree is seedling so it will take many years to fruit.

What you need to do is asking your friend or neighbors or buy scions of other variety then graft on that tree and you will have a new cocktail tree and you don't have to wait not much longer to have your tree to fruit. Instead of planting a new tree all over again. 

My Red Thai wax jambu last year gave me lot of fruits, this year only few flowers.

Good Luck Mickey

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 09:25:01 PM »
I purchased from Ong’s nursery and they said it was airlayed.  It was suppose to be a green wax jambu.  I can get everything to fruit in my yard by this wax jambu.  So i got a black diamond that has fruit on it from last year.  I am going to see if it is not fruiting because of my watering ot just my luck.

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 11:44:40 PM »
I purchased from Ong’s nursery and they said it was airlayed.  It was suppose to be a green wax jambu.  I can get everything to fruit in my yard by this wax jambu.  So i got a black diamond that has fruit on it from last year.  I am going to see if it is not fruiting because of my watering ot just my luck.
Sometimes different trees are slower to fruit. Just don't trim it back, keep it watered and maybe add some high bloom fertilizer.