Author Topic: Cactus fruits that taste good (sweet), other than Dragon Fruit/Pitaya  (Read 64840 times)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:38:01 AM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Cactus fruits that taste good (sweet), other than Dragon Fruit/Pitaya
« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2015, 11:21:05 AM »
Does anyone have any idea about Opuntia Littoralis fruit quality ?.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cactus-Opuntia-Littoralis-1-healthy-medium-size-POD-for-quick-rooting-/171664854838?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f805cf36

I have eaten it from trails in Mission Viejo (Orange County), CA. It is tangy and has raspberry flavor, would say the fruit was ok. However the fruit is seedy and has many glochids, and it takes a while to harvest from a plant from all the spines. Its a fruit better for processing if you had a bunch near by and wanted to make jam. The hassle of harvesting and the large hard seeds and seedy fruit take away from the eating experience.

I actually enjoyed Cylindropuntia prolifera fruit better, it had a unique refreshing acidic flavor. I tried some fruit off a trail in Palos Verdes, CA. Opuntia ficus-indica though is hard to match in quality of fruit and edibility of pads.

Cylindropuntia prolifera
 http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=9588
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:24:52 AM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2015, 03:19:07 PM »
Rivenrock Gardens Cactus Company posted on Facebook:

"We like to pickle the unopened flower blossoms of some of the Opuntia plants. We did our first blossom picking yesterday and made some quick bread and butter pickles. The rest of the blossoms are sitting in a lime-water bath to get ready for their big debut in a more extensive recipe."

"Cactus blossoms sitting in a lime-water bath, in prep for canning into a pickle recipe."

"These will be triple-rinsed tonight, then packed in ice-water for a few hours. Then into a mix of boiling half vinegar and half sugar along with dill and a bit of kosher salt. Removed from heat and allowed to sit overnight, then reboiled for 30 minutes tomorrow, and packed into oven-sterilized jars with boiled lids and heat-treated in boiling water for 15 minutes.
I will sometimes omit the boiling water bath, as I usually start eating them a few days after making them, and I'll eat the small batches we make in a short time. In those cases they stay in the refrigerator once they cool down a bit. The Bread and Butter pickles are usually that method, as I eat them so fast."

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2015, 12:47:49 PM »
Does anyone have any idea about Opuntia Littoralis fruit quality ?.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cactus-Opuntia-Littoralis-1-healthy-medium-size-POD-for-quick-rooting-/171664854838?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f805cf36

I have eaten it from trails in Mission Viejo (Orange County), CA. It is tangy and has raspberry flavor, would say the fruit was ok. However the fruit is seedy and has many glochids, and it takes a while to harvest from a plant from all the spines. Its a fruit better for processing if you had a bunch near by and wanted to make jam. The hassle of harvesting and the large hard seeds and seedy fruit take away from the eating experience.

I actually enjoyed Cylindropuntia prolifera fruit better, it had a unique refreshing acidic flavor. I tried some fruit off a trail in Palos Verdes, CA. Opuntia ficus-indica though is hard to match in quality of fruit and edibility of pads.

Cylindropuntia prolifera
 http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=9588

Thanks for your input.

There is another fruiting Opuntia spp that was grown by the natives in California and Northern Mexico. It has a  big red fruit ( similar to the picture in your Avatar). I heard it was good but I can't remember the scientific name.

Do you know it ?.
Moh'd

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2015, 02:28:18 PM »
Opuntia robusta? Its not native to ca but naturalized. Has large tasty fruit. Also Opuntia engelmanni which is native, think fruit is a little smaller and just ok. I am not sure how your prickly pear diversity is in Dubai, I am sure you have some decent fruuting selections?

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2015, 03:22:27 PM »
Opuntia robusta? Its not native to ca but naturalized. Has large tasty fruit. Also Opuntia engelmanni which is native, think fruit is a little smaller and just ok. I am not sure how your prickly pear diversity is in Dubai, I am sure you have some decent fruuting selections?

None, I went to over 20 nurseries to find dragon fruit and I found nothing. Besides, they don't have any idea what type of prickly pear they have. Anyway, I found a prickly pear cactus with a red fruit near Al mamzar beach park so, I tried it.The fruit was so bland like eating a cucumber  :'(. Most cacti we have in here are for ornamental only. That's why I ordered prickly pear pads from a guy called Chris in Malta and It should arrive this week.

Yes, I mean Opuntia robusta. I Think I have asked you for a pad before, right ?.
Moh'd

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2015, 10:31:03 PM »
Anybody know anything about Opuntia albicarpa?

I am looking for prickly pear cactus (Opuntia ficus-indica) with the "white" fruit (Tuna Blanca).

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2015, 03:50:40 AM »
Daley's Nursery here in Australia has set a precedent by stocking fruiting epiphyllums.

Here is one listing, it was bred by a friend of mine. Unfortunate that it is listed as a 'Dragonfruit', but I guess they do that so it gets a look in.

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/Dragon-Fruit-Tyalgum-Purple-Pitaya.htm

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2015, 06:14:35 AM »
Hey Starling.  Have you tried the fruit from that Epi? Is it as good as Daley's say it is.

joaave

• jujuy-argentina
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2015, 09:52:19 AM »
Trichocereus smrzianus

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2015, 11:16:35 AM »
Those epi fruiting plants are really interesting. Seems like we need some focus over here in the states on breeding Epis and other cactus that have potential (especially since a lot of these fruits, will need to replace many avocado and citrus groves in the future over here in CA).

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2015, 12:56:11 PM »
Daley's Nursery here in Australia has set a precedent by stocking fruiting epiphyllums.
Here is one listing, it was bred by a friend of mine. Unfortunate that it is listed as a 'Dragonfruit', but I guess they do that so it gets a look in.
http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/Dragon-Fruit-Tyalgum-Purple-Pitaya.htm

I wonder how big the fruit is.

I know a couple of CRFG Dragon Fruit growers that are experimenting with adding epiphyllum to their Dragon Fruit hybrids.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2015, 12:59:02 PM »
Those epi fruiting plants are really interesting. Seems like we need some focus over here in the states on breeding Epis and other cactus that have potential (especially since a lot of these fruits, will need to replace many avocado and citrus groves in the future over here in CA).

We need a list of epiphyllum varieties that produce decent fruit.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2015, 07:13:48 PM »

I honestly believe that epi's are one of the best and most untapped food sources in existence. The fruits really are as good or better than dragonfruit, and they haven't really had any serious breeding for fruit quality yet.

The added bonus is that they are small plants and will  reliably fruit in shade. You could grow dozens of them in hanging pots beneath a patio or whatever, and because the soil doesn't really dry out in low light conditions the way it does in full sun, they wouldn't require a lot of water and the yields would be incredible.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2015, 07:19:17 PM »
Im unhappy to report that the 'curly sue' monstrose Epi has very ordinary fruit. Like clag glue. Plus, they are a magnet for a boring insect and ants, so are hardly worth the trouble if you are after the fruit.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2015, 07:55:30 PM »
Im unhappy to report that the 'curly sue' monstrose Epi has very ordinary fruit. Like clag glue. Plus, they are a magnet for a boring insect and ants, so are hardly worth the trouble if you are after the fruit.

Bummer.

So no point even keeping this for purposes of hybridization?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2015, 09:38:14 PM »
I honestly believe that epi's are one of the best and most untapped food sources in existence. The fruits really are as good or better than dragonfruit, and they haven't really had any serious breeding for fruit quality yet.

The added bonus is that they are small plants and will  reliably fruit in shade. You could grow dozens of them in hanging pots beneath a patio or whatever, and because the soil doesn't really dry out in low light conditions the way it does in full sun, they wouldn't require a lot of water and the yields would be incredible.

I have only tasted a couple epi fruit and none have tasted anything close to being as good as a regular white-flesh Dragon Fruit IMO.

I have tasted a unique tasting Dragon Fruit hybrid that was good and had epi genes in its background. See 2014 Pitahaya (Dragon Fruit) Festival Reply 18 & 20 http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=11655.0;all .

Both Edgar and Leo (CRFG Dragon Fruit growers) have mentioned the epiphyllum Cadet as a variety used to pollinate DF. http://www.mattslandscape.com/detail/?plant_name=Cadet

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2015, 07:57:22 PM »
Starling, which epi's have you had that were as good as a dragonfruit?

Thanks!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2015, 11:54:22 PM »

Thanks!

Stay tuned gunnar, I'll be doing an epi report on some fruit discovered cropping in Melbourne this week.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2015, 10:23:46 AM »

i head these were good...

Cereus  validus
Similar to the common apple cactus but with an orange colored fruit. The baseball sized fruits have white, edible flesh with a mildly sweet flavor. The plants themselves also make attractive landscape specimens.
https://www.seedman.com/cactusseeds.htm
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/content/orange-apple-cactus.htm

Cereus   jamacaru
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=12514.0
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/content/pleated-cereus.htm
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31135&p=278265&hilit=jamacaru#p278265
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35029&p=307446&hilit=jamacaru#p307446

Cereus Peruvianus
http://tastylandscape.com/2013/04/24/a-very-tasty-cactus-cereus-peruvianus/

grown from seed (first 3 pics)
supposedly  validus and/or jamacaru
---

---
all my columnar cacti

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2015, 12:50:49 PM »

Cereus  validus

Cereus   jamacaru

Cereus Peruvianus

How can you tell them apart?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2015, 03:34:02 PM »

Thanks!

Stay tuned gunnar, I'll be doing an epi report on some fruit discovered cropping in Melbourne this week.

Ok, cool.  I have one called "Tabasco" that was gifted to me when I placed an order for DF from Matt's Landscape.  I wasn't even sure epi's fruited...so definitely interested in your update.  Thanks.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2015, 04:32:38 PM »

Cereus  validus

Cereus   jamacaru

Cereus Peruvianus

How can you tell them apart?

Ricshaw,
from left to right are C. validus, C. jamacaru and C. peruvianus.

validus is the one with the very long spines and jamacaru is similar to peruvianus but has deeper grooves on the wings

Cheers,
Richard

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2015, 05:07:22 PM »
Richard and Greenman,

Nice columnar Cereus sp., update with the fruit pics :). Cereus sp. going to become more popular with Californians since the drought restrictions and cost of water going up.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2015, 05:36:45 PM »

Ricshaw,
from left to right are C. validus, C. jamacaru and C. peruvianus.

validus is the one with the very long spines and jamacaru is similar to peruvianus but has deeper grooves on the wings

Cheers,
Richard

Thanks!!

The C. jamacaru and C. Peruvianus confuse me.