Author Topic: Ambarella roots growing through pot, what would you do?  (Read 1273 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Ambarella roots growing through pot, what would you do?
« on: September 21, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »
I have an ambarella that is in a 10-gallon plastic pot. Last winter, the height was about 6', the roots were already growing out the bottom and into the soil. I didn't want to cut off those roots, so it was left outside. The winter weather caused all the leaves and most of the lateral branches to fall off. Underneath the bark, it was still green. Since then the tree has grown to about 10', lots of new growth, looking great at the moment, and it even has 3 small fruits (never fruited until this time). I think the root system is pretty well established in the ground by now. I don't know if I should cut them off and move the tree to my heated greenhouse, or let it suffer again outdoors and regrow next spring. Which would cause more damage: cut off roots and move indoor, or let it be?

Thanks,

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
Re: Ambarella roots growing through pot, what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 11:08:14 PM »
let it be is my vote.  you can try to cut the top part off first. then try it cut thru the base by cutting piece by piece from the side.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:09:56 PM »
I would think that you should either plant it out or transplant it to a bigger pot.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 12:24:24 PM »
I would think that you should either plant it out or transplant it to a bigger pot.

I agree! Turns out they root pretty easily from cuttings if you want back up.