Author Topic: E. observa - one for the compost bin  (Read 3604 times)

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
E. observa - one for the compost bin
« on: November 14, 2014, 12:56:48 PM »
I purchased seeds of Eugenia observa from Helton two years back, and of course from them I get numerous  healthy, attractive and fast growing plants.  I was quite excited when they bloomed this fall and all the care I gave these plants rewarded me with numerous fruits. That is the good news.

The bad news is that there is nothing to recommend these as a fruit.  The berries are small and the flesh surrounding the seed is about 1 mm thick.  there is no real flavor to speak of, either than a slight astringency and really not much else.  I am afraid these plants are heading for the compost bin.  It is a shame, because they are attractive plants and if I had unlimited room they might make a pretty informal hedge.

Cheers,
Richard

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Re: E. observa - one for the compost bin
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 02:22:30 PM »
Looks like Eugenia Reinwardtiana, another tasteless fruit, thank you for remind me , that one is also going to meet the axe!

El verde es vida!

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 02:24:51 PM »
Thanks for posting.  Helpful info.  It is good to point out the losers as well as the winners.  Some people have space they can afford to waste on growing out a loser but most of us really do not have the time.

John

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 03:06:42 PM »
Richard, I got my seeds from another source, and most have more pulp than in your photo. Also - I have some without the slight astringency (which reminds me of E. uniflora); still - it is more of a collectors item for sure.!
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 06:25:54 PM »
Looks like Eugenia Reinwardtiana, another tasteless fruit, thank you for remind me , that one is also going to meet the axe!

Raul , I wouldn't say that , I have some very decent Cederbay cherries , I always wait till they drop by themselves before eating them .

I have 3 E. observa going ( thank you Soren ) hopefully they turn out OK , had to wait about 4 months for germination , since Richard's plants fruited in 2 years I will keep them in the nurserybag till they fruit in order not not waste one of my few remaining sunny planting spots .

While we're at it , there may be a post in the forum about this , what is your favorite Eugenia ? Keep the acid and sweet separated .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 07:24:41 PM »
Thanks for the report Richard!

Sounds like this one is "for the birds"!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 12:21:50 AM »
Thanks for the report Richard!

Sounds like this one is "for the birds"!

There is a very big interest in Brazil in just that, growing plants just to feed birds! I'm sure you've seen that on e-jardim website?
With over 1000 species of eugenias it's not surprising that some of them are not going to be so great for human consumption. About reinwardtiana (cedar bay cherry) there is tremendous variation in quality, and some of them are pretty good.
Oscar

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 12:47:51 AM »

There is a very big interest in Brazil in just that, growing plants just to feed birds! I'm sure you've seen that on e-jardim website?

I noticed that -- personally, I try to avoid things that are popular with birds.  I have unpleasant memories of my father's place where there were wild chokecherries across the street and our neighbor had elderberries (not sure if his raspberries & blueberries were also contributing to the mess -- the others sure were).  His place was constantly getting bombed by the birds.  Very highly pigmented, made a mess of everything & would even eat into a car's paint if not washed off promptly.

I'm sure I have some things birds will like, hopefully not too many.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 01:56:28 AM »

I noticed that -- personally, I try to avoid things that are popular with birds.  I have unpleasant memories of my father's place where there were wild chokecherries across the street and our neighbor had elderberries (not sure if his raspberries & blueberries were also contributing to the mess -- the others sure were).  His place was constantly getting bombed by the birds.  Very highly pigmented, made a mess of everything & would even eat into a car's paint if not washed off promptly.

I'm sure I have some things birds will like, hopefully not too many.

John

If you are mostly interested in growing fruits to eat yourself then attracting birds would potentially rob you of a lot of fruits. If you are just growing plants for bird watching then it seems less of a problem. Seems that more gardeners in Brazil are just interested in the bird watching aspect of gardening. I guess American bird watchers find it easier to just buy a bird feeder?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »
I have a few observas planted and the birds here are interested in bigger game really.

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 06:06:19 PM »
Richard, I got my seeds from another source, and most have more pulp than in your photo. Also - I have some without the slight astringency (which reminds me of E. uniflora); still - it is more of a collectors item for sure.!

Soren,

Thanks for your info.  I do have a second plant that is ripening fruit right now, so hopefully they are better than the first plant.

Adam,
 this is definitely one for the birds!  if only I could get the birds to eat them instead of my cherries, peaches and plums >:(

Richard