Author Topic: Dragon Fruit in Containers  (Read 3148 times)

gwrace

• South Texas Zone 10
    • View Profile
Dragon Fruit in Containers
« on: January 12, 2014, 08:39:58 PM »
I recently received some dragon fruit cuttings and seeds. I plan to grow these out in containers with some type of trellis system. There may be  few nights each year where these may need to be moved into the greenhouse. The objective is a fair amount of fruit production. What have you found to be the optimum container/pot size so these plants will fruit? I currently have several types of tropical fruits growing in containers but none require trellising or use areal roots like these cactus. Would appreciate any tips or helpful hints.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit in Containers
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »
The container size depends on how much fruit you want, a 25 gallon on wheels is good to move in and out. And you would get a good amount of fruit.

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:50:31 PM »
I read some where that dragon fruit roots are shallow.

I'm no expert, if some one can confirm that would be great.

If true would a 25 gallon in a wider pot be better (if they make it) then the traditional 25 gallon nursery pots?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 11:23:59 PM »
I read some where that dragon fruit roots are shallow.

I'm no expert, if some one can confirm that would be great.

If true would a 25 gallon in a wider pot be better (if they make it) then the traditional 25 gallon nursery pots?

Yes the roots will tolerate shallowness and the plant will not be stunted. I'm not sure what's the maximum they will go but 1.5-2ft deep seems okay for me.
I use wide storage containers for my plants but should have used something that's UV stable so it doesn't degrade as fast.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 12:36:22 AM »
The container size depends on how much fruit you want, a 25 gallon on wheels is good to move in and out. And you would get a good amount of fruit.

I agree with markee.

You might want to used plastic 55 gallon drums cut in half (two containers) for pots.

Mount the half drum pots on wood base with wheels.

Building a good trellis might be a challenge.

ELK CREEK DRAGON FRUIT http://www.devonsaustraliancattledogs.com/Dragonfruit might be able to help.

I grow Dragon Fruit in pots because of gopher problems, but do not have to move the pots.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 07:11:52 AM »
Thank you so much for your insights, it will help me a lot in my atempt to grow dragonfruit!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk