Author Topic: Green Sapote best light/sun conditions?  (Read 724 times)

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
Green Sapote best light/sun conditions?
« on: November 04, 2023, 06:25:43 PM »
Hey all,

I've had a green sapote seedling survive its first awful summer out here in Phoenix under 50% shade cloth in a pot (did pretty well actually, kept growing steadily), and I'm thinking about where to plant it for long term. My thought is to plant it in a moderately shady space and let it go get the sun when it is ready similar to some other plants that start out as under story in their original habitat, but I wanted some other opinions since I have little experience with this one. It's kind of rare so I don't want to put it in a place that is going to burn in the summer once it gets too large to effectively use shade cloth but I also don't want to stunt it's growth too much. The one mamey that I had was surprisingly sun tolerant before it died of general nutrient pissiness but that's my only point of reference.

Thoughts?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Green Sapote best light/sun conditions?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 07:58:42 PM »
I recently saw a fruiting lucuma here on the central coast which was living in mostly shade of mac nuts and a white sapote, was producing very nicely. I would be looking for a part shade area in AZ. I just can't see one tolerating full sun 100f+ and low humidity.

I did plant a green sapote in full sun at my office, but it's less than 1 mile from the ocean so it's pretty moderate. It hasn't even blinked and is growing nicely. 1 gallon size. I'll get a photo of it this week if I remember to.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 08:06:40 PM »
The one at San Diego Botanic garden are in part shade except for the tippy tops of the trees (like 40ft tall)

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 08:51:18 PM »
Thanks gang, these are helpful data points, my gut reaction was part shade as well although I think I need something closer to 30% (aka "thinned moringa/ pomegranate") or full morning sun since at 50% right now it's noticeably bending towards the southwest. It survived the 115s though which is the hard part in any shade.

I recently saw a fruiting lucuma here on the central coast which was living in mostly shade of mac nuts and a white sapote, was producing very nicely. I would be looking for a part shade area in AZ. I just can't see one tolerating full sun 100f+ and low humidity.

I did plant a green sapote in full sun at my office, but it's less than 1 mile from the ocean so it's pretty moderate. It hasn't even blinked and is growing nicely. 1 gallon size. I'll get a photo of it this week if I remember to.

I envy that marine layer.

Mine actually seems to be able to take full sun most of the day at just about 99-101 (the wind knocked the shade fabric off for a couple of days before I noticed). It's actually doing better than my macnut seedlings. But unless it's a serious mutant I don't see how it manages 115+ for a week in all-day sun like we get in July. Sometimes they surprise me though.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 08:55:54 PM by CeeJey »

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023, 09:22:03 PM »
I have one planted in full sun and one in part shade since they were 1 year seedlings. The one in full sun has outgrown the part shade seedling.  Direct sun on our hottest days has no effect and has never exhibited symptoms of sun burn.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 09:33:53 PM »
unless it's a serious mutant I don't see how it manages 115+ for a week in all-day sun like we get in July

Hence my part shade suggestion for you in particular haha

Direct sun on our hottest days has no effect and has never exhibited symptoms of sun burn.

I pitched mine out from my 50% shade gh into full sun at the office and it also didn't blink at all, but it doesn't ever hit the 100s down there, 90f at most. I have lucumas out in full sun at my house and they're also good to go. I ponder if your place gets hotter than mine.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 09:42:30 PM by K-Rimes »

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 12:13:37 AM »
I have one planted in full sun and one in part shade since they were 1 year seedlings. The one in full sun has outgrown the part shade seedling.  Direct sun on our hottest days has no effect and has never exhibited symptoms of sun burn.

I have tried two now, one seedling, one on mamey rootstock. Both did very poorly with the brunt of the summer and early fall sun in the Zone 9B Inland Empire heat, granted there is a wooden fence behind them which magnified the heat (mangos sure love it!)

The one other seedling I have in a more shaded area has done much better. We will see how it does in the cooler winters we get here, had snow on the ground last year :(

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2023, 10:01:00 AM »
I've got about 20 planted out and in shade cages.  They definitely seem to like a little bit of shade but ill see what goes on in time.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 05:58:41 PM »

Here’s my green sapote just hanging out in an industrial parking lot.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2023, 07:57:52 PM »
baller, looks like its doing good with that full sun and reflective heat
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

SDPirate

• Chula Vista, Zone 10B Coast/Inland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2023, 08:08:33 PM »
Mine is slightly smaller.  It was actually in full sun here for the end of spring and early summer, then our summer heat picked up and started baking it a little.  I will probably nudge mine back in full sun once our daytime highs drop below 80.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2023, 08:13:59 PM »
baller, looks like its doing good with that full sun and reflective heat

The soil is unbelievably good at this office park, it's a crime it's paved over. Wait till you see it next year! I don't even need to fertilize here, it's that good, and the irrigation only needs to run once a week, perfect clay content. Everything I've put in ground in that back parking lot area is FLYING, I think cause there is so much black asphalt mass that it stays hot at night too. That green sapote gets sun all year long, from around 10am to sunset. It's the most choice planting spot on the property imo. I just need to stop the gardener's from trying to remove it periodically.

SD Dan

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2023, 11:13:29 PM »
I noticed my green sapote from Nate were doing pretty good in full sun during early summer but started getting deformed leaves and sun scorched in the middle of summer. I moved them into a partial shade spot and they’re looking great now.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2023, 11:58:39 PM »

Here’s my green sapote just hanging out in an industrial parking lot.

I love how you’re just guerrilla farming all over SB. I thought that was reserved for cannabis growers, but you’re making me rethink the possibilities. 
I’m actually surprised several of you are struggling with full sun green sapote saplings.  I’m more east county than most and the sun has no effect, even during the most intense heat of the summer. You watering your trees enough?  Granted, my sample size is two trees. 

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2023, 02:04:06 PM »
I love how you’re just guerrilla farming all over SB.

Welllllll... A few places anyways. This is at my office, where I do have permission to plant. I also have plants at the Bucket Brigade Community Garden.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2024, 05:58:34 PM »

Looking beat up from the rainy winter, but my parking lot green sapote survived and is growing some new leaves.

SDPirate

• Chula Vista, Zone 10B Coast/Inland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2024, 06:46:03 PM »
Looking good, glad it made it.  Mine is beat up a bit too but I pushed it back into the sun a couple months ago and it seems fine for now.  Funnily enough, the mamey growing right next to it looks fantastic (I thought green sapote was more hardy?), but it is also about a foot taller.