Author Topic: What do you do with the wood you prune from your trees?  (Read 4889 times)

Spoontaneous

• USA, So. Florida, Palm Beach County Zone 10
    • View Profile
    • spoon photos
What do you do with the wood you prune from your trees?
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »
Hi Everyone ~ I just now signed onto your forum after perusing for a day or two. In the interest of 'full disclosure' I should mention that I am not a grower. In fact, my wife has me living in one of those condo 'boxes' at the moment. My background is in Horticulture (Ornamental) and while I am (was) fairly knowledgeable of Zone 7 plant culture.... I know very little with regards to Zone 10ish and in particular these tropical fruits.

So... you might be wondering why in the heck am I showing up on the board. Well.... actually it is for admittedly self-serving purposes. While you folks are passionate about the tropical fruit trees.... I am passionate about the wood that comes from them.

I carve and sell (mostly online) wooden spoons. Some are functional, some are non-functional..... and most are dysfunctional. Beings that I live in Florida nowadays, I have had the opportunity to carve some of the exotic woods found here. I have a strong liking for carving spoons from wood that maybe no one else has carved from.... or at least, wood that generally would not be considered for that purpose.

Local woods I have carved include Surinam Cherry, Carambola, Yellow Tabby, Bougainvillea, Sea Grape and Shaving Brush tree.... among others. Most of the wood I gather from other folks brush piles..... which I enjoy doing because in my mind.... it gives the tree a sort of 'second life' in addition to that 'circle of life' decaying process.

I enjoy working with wood that has minor decay (spalt), contrast in light and dark (heartwood and sapwood), interesting bark textures (including thorns and the such) and really anything unusual that gives the wood added character... worm holes, woodpeckers, graft lines, etc.

I know this is a trading forum.... and that is why I am showing up.... to hopefully find some new woods to mess with... and maybe once in a while swap out a spoon for said wood. The wood does not have to be large..... from an inch or two in diameter up.... and 8 - 12 inches long (thereabouts). I just hate to see good wood go to the landfill or burn pile.

The two spoon photos attached are both from less than a 2" branch of Star Fruit wood.... so it does not take a lot of wood to fashion a spoon. By the way.... Star Fruit is a bit hard to carve but is becoming a favorite.

So... I just thought I would throw this out there in front of you guys and see what comes of it.... if anything. Just want to add that I am envious that you guys have property to actually 'GROW' on. I am hoping one day to escape this box and get myself a piece of ground to play on. Thanks for taking the time to read.... (and I hope it is an appropriate post for this forum. If not.... my apologies are offered).

'Unravel'

'Tree Skin'

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:09:06 PM by Spoontaneous »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with the wood you prune from your trees?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 12:39:09 PM »
Now that is different.

rovha

• the nooby gardener
    • Portgal, madeira island, funchal, santo antonio, rua da quinta falcćo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »
That looks really cool and by just using prunned out branchs and such those are really awesome.
Do you have a website or something where you sell them?
I also heard that rambutan is a good wood for carving too.
Joćo David Abreu Sousa

Spoontaneous

• View Profile
    • spoon photos
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 01:12:06 PM »
Thanks for the response(s). I wasn't for sure if I could post that sort of 'link' on here since it might be considered 'spoon spam'. I am building a new website just now.... but I do sell the spoons on ETSY with pretty good luck. To view a larger sampling of the spoons you can look through my photos on Flickr which also includes the 'sold' spoons.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spoontaneous

Thanks again....

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »
Thanks for the response(s). I wasn't for sure if I could post that sort of 'link' on here since it might be considered 'spoon spam'. I am building a new website just now.... but I do sell the spoons on ETSY with pretty good luck. To view a larger sampling of the spoons you can look through my photos on Flickr which also includes the 'sold' spoons.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spoontaneous

Thanks again....

Really nice spoons! That takes some talent and skills, looks like you have it mastered. Have you tried using Marula (Sclerocarya birrea) wood yet? "The wood is used for furniture, panelling, flooring, carvings and household utensils like spoons." http://www.plantzafrica.com/frames/plantsfram.htm

Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 01:46:32 PM »
Very cool and the fact that they are made from wood of fruit trees makes them all the cooler
George

Spoontaneous

• View Profile
    • spoon photos
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 02:03:39 PM »
Thanks again y'all. Nullzero... I had never heard of that tree before. Sounds interesting... for the wood and other qualities. Also... that is a very nice resource site. I bookmarked it.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 03:51:02 PM »
I have a tree trimming service that needs a place to dump there chips and a place to chip larger wood and as compensation for the service I provide there chip all my trimmings for free. Right now they dump about five hundred pounds of Australian pine trunks on my property. So you might to contact one of these services because I regularly get mango, avocado, old oak, Australian pine, black olive wood.
- David Antonio Garcia

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 07:05:18 PM »
You've got spoons wired... have you thought of doing wood grafting knives?

Spoontaneous

• View Profile
    • spoon photos
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 07:40:03 AM »
David ~ I have left my 'business' card with a few tree cutters... and asked them to keep a look out. But I haven't had much response and assume that in the 'midst of battle' I am probably not on their mind. <grin>

PltdWorld ~ No... I hadn't consider grafting knives and if I did... it would be the handles only. I can't even keep my own metal tools sharp.

Thanks for the responses.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 08:59:20 PM »
From time to time I prune mahogany, atemoya, mamey sapote, and star fruit.  I'll keep you in mind.

Would larger branches be of any use:  Say 3-4 inches in diameter?

Spoontaneous

• View Profile
    • spoon photos
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 09:59:29 PM »
Mangomandan ~ Yes.... Please do keep me in mind. All of those sound useful and the size is perfect. I appreciate it!

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 05:01:53 AM »
Cool spoons. Older cats claw acacia wood is really beautiful. Next time I am chipping I will save you a couple of choice pieces.  Dave

Spoontaneous

• View Profile
    • spoon photos
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 08:32:12 AM »
Dave ~ That is awesome.... and very gracious of you. I've never worked with that wood ......but photos of it sure make me want to. Regards.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 01:56:48 PM »
Not sure if you would see it in trimmings but lychee has some really nice grain patterns.  There is a guy here who offers it in flooring from time to time and it is gorgeous stuff (budget was too tight to use it in my house, however).

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk