Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Cambuca hardiness

(1/2) > >>

emegar:
Does anyone have an idea of the cold tolerance of Plinia edulis?  I've got a number of seedlings growing, and I'm wondering how they compare to jaboticabas in terms of their hardiness, and what sort of care they'll need here in Southern California.  Is anyone growing them in-ground on the mainland?

James

luc:
Only for your information and may not apply to California . I have them in full sun , lowest temperature here at night in the winter is 7 Celsius , no special care , just enough water .

Rtreid:
emegar,

I have two small plants as well as four seedlings, all in pots right now.  All of them did just fine outside this winter, even with unusually low temps of 34 F for two nights in Jan (with 4 or 5 nights in the mid to high 30s). 

For what it is worth, I am in coastal San Diego, Sunset zone 24, about 1 mile from Torrey Pines State Beach.

Hope this helps,
Richard

FlyingFoxFruits:
I've seen one in a protected location, but in a very cold area.

Its survived some horrible hard freezes...and it gets burnt back when temps dip to around 28F...but to outright kill a somewhat mature tree...it would probably have to drop to 25F, for an extended period (5hrs?).

They like protection from cold dry wind...and they are an evergreen tree...which is somewhat unusual for jaboticabas...most I grow are semi-deciduous. 

marklee:
I have a decent sized one, it flowered like crazy recently, but I think the cold we had forced the fruit to drop. It is about 8 years old and never had a problem in the high 30's we get here sometime. Just can't get the fruit to set.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version