Author Topic: Mamme Americana is dioceious?  (Read 1605 times)

Vishnu

• India
    • View Profile
Mamme Americana is dioceious?
« on: November 14, 2017, 12:59:24 AM »
I heard that mamme Americana is dioceious is it true anyone help me plz?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Mamme Americana is dioceious?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:05:25 AM »
In theory it's true.  In practice single trees often bear fruit, but not always.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:06:32 AM »
Some plants will only have male flowers, other female and a few are hermaphroditic.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 12:42:16 PM »
I have 2 mammee trees, both planted on different properties. Both fruit fine.
Techinically garcinias are supposed to be all dioecious. In fact they are almost always able to bear fruit without cross pollination, with a few very limited exceptions. Usually they are either having some hermaphrodite flowers or are able to bear fruit without pollen (apomictic), as in case of mangosteen.
Oscar

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »
Twenty year back a friend of mine gave me a  MA seedling (30cm tall) .It grew up and when 10 meters tall started to flower but never has fruited. Another friend when I complained it did not fruit told me it needed a "female" companion. He sent me two new seedlins 6 years back. Both these grew up and started to flower and fruit profusely every year (months of october-december.  Would these last two trees fruit without the presence of the "male" which flowers but does not fruit ?????

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 04:37:18 PM »
Twenty year back a friend of mine gave me a  MA seedling (30cm tall) .It grew up and when 10 meters tall started to flower but never has fruited. Another friend when I complained it did not fruit told me it needed a "female" companion. He sent me two new seedlins 6 years back. Both these grew up and started to flower and fruit profusely every year (months of october-december.  Would these last two trees fruit without the presence of the "male" which flowers but does not fruit ?????
u
Have you really looked at the flowers? Are you sure your unfruitful tree is male only, and has no hermaphrodite flowers? Many trees fail to fruit for a variety of reasons apart from lack of pollination. I would guess, based on my experience that your two new trees would have fruited, even if planted by themselves.
Oscar

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 06:34:14 PM »
Oscar
        I would be glad to send you a photo of the white flower of the mamey tree I suppose to be male, (when it flowers) if you can identify it.  I also thought of chopping it down but decided to save it for its shade

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 06:37:35 PM »
Oscar
        I would be glad to send you a photo of the white flower of the mamey tree I suppose to be male, (when it flowers) if you can identify it.  I also thought of chopping it down but decided to save it for its shade

Would have to look at a lot of the flowers, not just one, as a tree can have both male and hermaphrodite flowers.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 11:52:07 AM »
If that older tree that never flowered had some hermaphrodite flowers then, you would think, some fruit set would take place.  I think that because of events like this that Mamey has a reputation for being dioecious even if the condition is relatively uncommon.
 I also have isolated trees that bear fruit, but caution people that an occasional tree doesn't bear.
Peter