Author Topic: Effectiveness of Praying Mantis?  (Read 2388 times)

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
Effectiveness of Praying Mantis?
« on: May 21, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
What has been anyone's experience with the praying mantis as a natural insect predator?  I'm wondering what to expect if I release some onto my mango tree, especially with regards to whiteflies and weevils.

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Effectiveness of Praying Mantis?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 11:29:50 AM »
I believe Mantis would eat other beneficial bugs as well as nuisance bugs, may not be the best choice of biological control.
- Colin

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:27:46 PM »
If you only have one tree, it would likely be a waste as they will head off in search of more food elsewhere. I like Mantises and keep checking my local nursery to see if they have some eggs.(slapping my forehead about not buying them the last time I saw them). I think the benefit of them taking out bad bugs outweighs the negatives. Plus lets face it, they are entertaining as hell to play with and watch.

Lady bugs are a good option as well. I released about 1500 in my orchard about a month ago. Seen a couple still sticking around. Its a shame we cant legally get the good ladybug species called Destroyer ladybugs. Saw them over at Epcot, those things are monstrous predators apparently but the USDA wont approve them for release. Probably send their new SWAT team after you if you tried hehe.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 12:21:19 AM »
I agree that ladybugs would probably be most effective, even though the praying mantis is much cooler. Also, there are some issues with introducing foreign species of mantis that are endangering native mantises: http://nativeplantwildlifegarden.com/praying-mantises-which-are-the-good-ones/

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 07:46:28 AM »
I agree that ladybugs would probably be most effective, even though the praying mantis is much cooler. Also, there are some issues with introducing foreign species of mantis that are endangering native mantises: http://nativeplantwildlifegarden.com/praying-mantises-which-are-the-good-ones/
Interesting article, Hollywood.  Thanks for sharing.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 07:48:45 AM »
Yeah great... So now I guess you are going to tell me Blue Orchard Bees and Texas Killer bees are bad for my garden as well right? :P   Oh well, glad I didn't buy them then. Now to somehow get hold of Destroyer Ladybugs.....

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »
I tend to think of predator insects as a novelty.  If you are looking for extinction of a harmful pest, then predator bugs are not the way to go.  If you are only looking for reducing the harmful population, then go for it.  Predators won't scour a tree before looking for greener pastures.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 04:21:04 AM »
Bugs are really only sucking insects. I have quite a few species of mantises  around the yard including 6 inch fat whoppers, stick and leaf types. The don't like the smelly bugs but beetles, grasshoppers, moths, bees, flies,caterpillars and wasps seem to get eaten. Their hard foamy egg masses hatch out lots more really fast. They do make difference at my place.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 06:16:55 AM »
Preying mantis are cool to have around. They seem to have naturalized here. But still have outbreaks of aphids and other bugs. They're not really preying on just the ones we don't like, they eat anything. So i wouldn't buy them for as biological control.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk