Author Topic: Calcium and PH Levels  (Read 3205 times)

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
Calcium and PH Levels
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
My mangos this summer have been exhibiting jelly seed.  From what I've read, adding calcium can help prevent this.  I'm in central Broward County and my soil is alkaline, (value of 7.6).  Will adding calcium to the soil further increase the PH level?  What is recommended for adding calcium?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Calcium and PH Levels
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:55:51 AM »
While it has been written that calcium will "cure" this problem, there are some that attribute it more to the variety's being prone to it.  I have seen circumstances where calcium was added and the fruit still had the problem.
- Rob

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 11:20:22 AM »
The tree in question is a Cogshall, which I don't think is one of the varieties prone to jelly seed.  I figure some supplemental calcium shouldn't hurt.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 05:46:09 PM »
If you want to add calcium to your trees a good source will be Calcium Nitrate you are adding calcium 19% and also Nitrogen 15%. But I doubt you have a shortage of calcium in your soil and in your tree.  My PH averages around 7.9. I have a high content of calcium in my soil. My tissue test is normal to high for calcium. There is a lot of C in south Florida.
I have several mangos this season all seem to be suffering of some form of Jelly seed.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 09:09:09 PM »
Calcium can't be properly utilized if there is not enough, Magnesium, Boron, Copper, Manganese. etc.
Har

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 09:33:23 AM »
Calcium can't be properly utilized if there is not enough, Magnesium, Boron, Copper, Manganese. etc.
So then a feeding of minors at the same time is recommended?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 11:04:01 AM »
Usually if you harvest the fruit early, it will ripen without jelly seed. I had some really excellent cogshalls this year that were harvested several weeks early and ripened without jelly seed.
Jeff  :-)

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 11:41:12 AM »
Usually if you harvest the fruit early, it will ripen without jelly seed. I had some really excellent cogshalls this year that were harvested several weeks early and ripened without jelly seed.
That's probably a good idea, not only for jelly seed but because I've been fighting a losing battle vs. the squirrels.  70 mangos produced, squirrels took about 15 so far. 
The mangos without jelly seed have been outstanding, by the way.  How much are we losing flavor wise by picking two weeks early and letting the fruit ripen in the kitchen? 

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 01:59:14 PM »
Isn't calcium and magnesium a yin and yang thing?
They need to work in concert with each other.
Of course if you are deficient in one...

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 04:58:06 PM »
Get a soil analysis done. Money well spent and then you will know exactly what your deficiencies are and be able to take the proper corrective measures. Adding calcium blindly could make things worse IMO

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 07:37:30 PM »
We were picking the cogshall really green (in late may / june), and they ripened up extremely well. Cogshall can be incredibly delicious, with smart, appley flavor that reminds me of baileys marvel. I"m going to be planting this one out eventually.
Jeff  :-)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »
That's probably a good idea, not only for jelly seed but because I've been fighting a losing battle vs. the squirrels.  70 mangos produced, squirrels took about 15 so far. 
The mangos without jelly seed have been outstanding, by the way.  How much are we losing flavor wise by picking two weeks early and letting the fruit ripen in the kitchen?

I tried this year after a few attacks by possum or squirrel. Mixed peanut butter with Portland cement. Made 2 little balls and set outside on a plate. The plate had something over 6" above it so it would not get rained on.
It did not take the bait the first night. It destroyed and ate another mango
It must have eaten it the next night because no problems since then except for minor bites
Before "it" was taking down a mango each night

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk