Author Topic: Unproductive Cogshall. . .Any Ideas Why?  (Read 2092 times)

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
Unproductive Cogshall. . .Any Ideas Why?
« on: January 20, 2015, 02:50:49 PM »
My Cogshall has been inground for about 6 years, transplanted from a 3 gallon pot.  For the first two years it produced no fruit, in part because I wanted it to grow and I fed it accordingly.  Two years ago I pulled my first 9 mangoes off the tree.  Hallelujah!  Visions of a bumper crop in my head for the next season.  Well, the next season was a dud: 2 fruits.  Finally, last summer was an awakening, with 70 mangoes to harvest.
This season, so far at least, looks like another dud.  Today I counted but 15 pannicles on the tree, with a few branches looking like they are ready to push out some more.  But driving around my neighborhood I am seeing mango tree after mango tree covered with flowers already.
To my knowledge, the Cogshall is not a shy bearer.  The tree is in sunlight almost all day.  Last year I fed it once a month with some 8-3-9,  and sprayed some minors on the tree monthly.  Did this from about March through September.  In October and November I sprinkled it with some 0-0-50.  I haven't fed it since.
I've attached some photos which show the few pannicles, but also shows a few of the pannicles that either died shortly after opening or are stunted.
Any ideas?  Thank you.

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Unproductive Cogshall. . .Any Ideas Why?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 03:38:37 PM »
My Cogshall is doing great after 2 years in ground.  Came from Excalibur. 

West side view --- loaded with big panicles.

South side view

Little mangos forming

Haven't put anything down yet this year.  I fert monthly with 6-3-16 with minors from Diamond R.  February to November.
No signs of drop off, disease or panicle wilt.  Except when my new Min Pin eats the lower buds.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:45:12 PM by Bananimal »
Dan

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 07:24:25 PM »
There is still some winter left with more cold mornings to go.  It may have a second bloom before spring.

That being said, you could consider cessation of N feeding altogether or stop in July or August.  I don't give N to trees over 5 years old.  Another thing would be to stop irrigating the tree, if you are at this point letting it get hit with supplemental water.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 07:30:42 PM »
Straight potassium helps fruiting I think. Plus maybe a heavy wood chip mulch would supply what it needs

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:35:15 PM »
Sleepdoc, zands. . .I haven't watered the tree in months.  I figured that by now it is well established and there's no need for supplemental watering.  Plus, it's been a wetter than usual dry season.
I think I'm going to forego all nitrogen this season.  I'll just spray with some minors during the summer months, and hit it with 0-0-50 starting in September.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 07:51:50 PM »
i would say don't fertilize the tree at all...unless it's showing deficiency...you could be over feeding it.

also, it could just be that the season was poor due to weather conditions.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk