Author Topic: Picked Early, Will a Mango ripen properly?  (Read 3711 times)

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
Picked Early, Will a Mango ripen properly?
« on: June 30, 2016, 11:15:31 AM »
My Cogshall is spitting out mangoes faster than I can keep up with it.  Out of about 120 total, there are still about 40 on the tree at various stages of ripeness.  I want to ship a box to my daughter in PA, and I'm hoping to select them so they aren't overripe at arrival, but instead will ripen properly shortly after they arrive.  Picking them for immediate consumption at home has been easy.  My concern is picking fruit too soon and it not being able to ripen as a result.  Any clues, suggestions?

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Picked Early, Will a Mango ripen properly?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 01:56:49 PM »
Yeah, if they're all ripening you should be able to pick the less ripe ones and have them ripen just fine for her. Look at a fruit you know is totally ripe, and compare the fruit shape, especially at the shoulder, to the more green ones, and try to pick ones that are still firm yet shape-wise are filled out. 
Dom

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 09:25:19 PM »
It's counter-intuitive, but many mango cultivars actually taste better if picked green and matured indoors. Nam doc mai, Carrie, and Cogshall are 3 that come to mind. Picking mature green precludes the jelly seed issue and causes the ripe fruit to retain a bit more acidity, which adds to the flavor. Most backyard growers are afraid to pick their mangoes green, because they think that the fruit only hits full flavor if left to ripen on the tree.

You should be able to pick your cogshalls with impunity by now (assuming you're in FL). Mine are all ready to be picked at this point.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 09:48:34 PM »
It's counter-intuitive, but many mango cultivars actually taste better if picked green and matured indoors. Nam doc mai, Carrie, and Cogshall are 3 that come to mind. Picking mature green precludes the jelly seed issue and causes the ripe fruit to retain a bit more acidity, which adds to the flavor. Most backyard growers are afraid to pick their mangoes green, because they think that the fruit only hits full flavor if left to ripen on the tree.

You should be able to pick your cogshalls with impunity by now (assuming you're in FL). Mine are all ready to be picked at this point.

Taste is subjective. ..to me, a NDM or Cogshall dont not ripen that sweet if picked green.  I know you like that acidic component of a Cogshall when picked early and there is nothing wrong with that  but to me, its not to my liking.   If I am going to eat these varieties,  I prefer the NDM with a yellow coloration and Cogshall with the haze over the color gone and an actual color break/turn.

Obviously for shipping,  the "rules" are different.  For best results,  I recommend Fedex overnight when shipping fruit, whether its mzngoes, 'moyas or mandarins.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 10:28:38 PM »
:D They actually ripen really sweet like that. The main difference is that you get a little bit of tart to add complexity to what most would consider a one-dimensional mango (NDM) -- and you don't need to slurp down the slimy gel around the seed (that totally grosses me out :-).

If you pick too early, then yah, you get a sour mango with little sugar development. Timing is key -- and that takes a lot of trial and error. Must be picked "mature green."

The cogshall is notorious for developing jelly seed in this area. In some years, the majority of the crop ripens unevenly. So, you have little choice but to pull them green if you don't want to divert them to the trash can.

And then we have your favorite, the carrie, which turns into orange mango soup if not plucked green :-).

Taste is subjective. ..to me, a NDM or Cogshall dont not ripen that sweet if picked green.  I know you like that acidic component of a Cogshall when picked early and there is nothing wrong with that  but to me, its not to my liking.   If I am going to eat these varieties,  I prefer the NDM with a yellow coloration and Cogshall with the haze over the color gone and an actual color break/turn.

Obviously for shipping,  the "rules" are different.  For best results,  I recommend Fedex overnight when shipping fruit, whether its mzngoes, 'moyas or mandarins.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 10:38:19 PM »
Mmmmmmmm, Carrie soup.   ;) :P ;D
- Rob

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 11:08:38 AM »
:D They actually ripen really sweet like that. The main difference is that you get a little bit of tart to add complexity to what most would consider a one-dimensional mango (NDM) -- and you don't need to slurp down the slimy gel around the seed (that totally grosses me out :-).

If you pick too early, then yah, you get a sour mango with little sugar development. Timing is key -- and that takes a lot of trial and error. Must be picked "mature green."

The cogshall is notorious for developing jelly seed in this area. In some years, the majority of the crop ripens unevenly. So, you have little choice but to pull them green if you don't want to divert them to the trash can.

And then we have your favorite, the carrie, which turns into orange mango soup if not plucked green :-).

I thought carrie should be picked with turning a bit yellow - I have green ones on my tree - last year they tasted very piney - I wonder if I should pick them now..

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 11:19:09 AM »
Picking them early won't necessarily get rid of the piney flavor, but it will cause them to ripen a tiny bit firmer and to retain some acidity. You still have to eat them at first sign of give under pressure. You should try picking a few green and experimenting.

I thought carrie should be picked with turning a bit yellow - I have green ones on my tree - last year they tasted very piney - I wonder if I should pick them now..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk