Author Topic: Barbados Cherry can't set fruit  (Read 3420 times)

Si Duong

• Hayward, Northern California
    • View Profile
Barbados Cherry can't set fruit
« on: September 23, 2017, 03:00:42 PM »
My Barbados Cherry is blooming like crazy but never set fruit. Anyone out there has the same problem can help? Thanks

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Barbados Cherry can't set fruit
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 11:18:58 PM »
How old is the tree? I noticed last year my tree kept flowering but had very limited fruit set,
I got another tree and this year the first tree was having much better fruit set and the second younger
tree was flowering with little fruit set. Hopefully your tree will get better like my trees are. Unfortunately
hurricane Irma destroyed half of my older tree and currently neither tree has flowers or fruit. Last year
I found a lone tree in a neighborhood and it was full of fruit without another tree around.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 12:50:52 AM »
Took mine 3 years of flowering to finally produce fruit.

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 01:29:40 AM »
After about 5 years of regular flowering and no fruit set, I got rid of mine. I've seen others that set well. My guess is I had no pollinators interested in it.

Si Duong

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 04:09:04 AM »
How old is the tree? I noticed last year my tree kept flowering but had very limited fruit set,
I got another tree and this year the first tree was having much better fruit set and the second younger
tree was flowering with little fruit set. Hopefully your tree will get better like my trees are. Unfortunately
hurricane Irma destroyed half of my older tree and currently neither tree has flowers or fruit. Last year
I found a lone tree in a neighborhood and it was full of fruit without another tree around.

I got 2 Dwarf Barbados and they are around more than 2 years old.  I am so sorry to hear the hurricane Irma destroyed half of my older tree. Thanks for sharing your problems and I hope my trees will reward me some fruits soon.

Zarafet

• Southern California 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 12:30:33 PM »
From my experience none of mine began setting fruit until the trunks were as thick as two pencils. I read somewhere that maturity has a huge role to play and for me that was certainly the case. Now i cant get it to STOP giving fruit. I have mine on the West side of my property in full southern california sun, and it takes the 100+ days like a champ.

Si Duong

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 02:39:11 PM »
From my experience none of mine began setting fruit until the trunks were as thick as two pencils. I read somewhere that maturity has a huge role to play and for me that was certainly the case. Now i cant get it to STOP giving fruit. I have mine on the West side of my property in full southern california sun, and it takes the 100+ days like a champ.

Congratulation and thanks for your info.
Do you know the Barbados plant can handle the freeze well?

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 02:46:12 PM »
My Barbados Cherry is blooming like crazy but never set fruit. Anyone out there has the same problem can help? Thanks

barbados cherry need a lot of water to set fruit

Zarafet

• Southern California 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 08:21:22 AM »
Mine are better than most tropicals in Frost but they are in a protected area do I'm sure that contributed to it's survival. I'd still cover it if left in an unprotected area.

Congratulation and thanks for your info.
Do you know the Barbados plant can handle the freeze well?

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 12:31:44 PM »

Mine started fruiting right before two years in the ground. What has been consistent with this tree is that it doesn't fruit during South Florida's summer heat if planted in full sun - it blooms but doesn't set fruits or the fruits come out misshaped or never reach maturity. Mine is blooming right now and I already see the pollinators hovering around (some sort of large bees. )  The inset picture was taking in October last year, so I'm expecting to start eating these delicious cherries soon. The season should last until May-June next year.

As a side note, my tree is located on the east side of the house, which was the side that received the most damage from hurricane Irma, but luckily this tree was intact - not a single broken branch. I'll post a picture later.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:35:49 PM by Paquicuba »

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 12:24:22 AM »
I think it's a temperature issue in the Bay Area. Next time I have blooms I might try the tomato set spray. I suspect a cold night issue is at play.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »
mine usually blooms all summer, often in spurts
this year i didnt see any fruit at all until last week.
 (maybe a couple of blooms all summer)

we did have a LOT of rain
i think it rained  3 to 5 days a week, it seemed every week for July and Aug.
sometimes twice a day.

Me thinks if it gets dry for a bit, then gets a good soaking,
then that triggers it to flower.

i have another small one in a container that flushes tons of flowers
( it was bought as a "dwarf" if i remember right)
a couple of times a year
it did flush in July, but that container dries out a lot faster than the ground.
i never have seen a fruit on it though
does dwarf Acerola fruit ? is it normal size fruit ?

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 06:41:47 PM »
Does it fruit well in container? Mine is about 2 years old, lots of dieback  last winter (I didn't protect it at all). I'm trying to decide if I should keep in in a container and protect it in the winter, or just plant it in the ground. I have 2 very vigorous Surinam cherry bushes in the ground, they are unaffected by hot (100+ F) or cold (30s F). I might plant the Barbados cherry next to them.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 07:21:44 PM »

I got 2 Dwarf Barbados and they are around more than 2 years old.  I am so sorry to hear the hurricane Irma destroyed half of my older tree. Thanks for sharing your problems and I hope my trees will reward me some fruits soon.
The dwarf Barbados Cherry is quite a bit different from the full size one, from what I have seen at a friend's house.
Not worth growing for fruit, more like bonsai.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Outi88ns9DA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk