Author Topic: Cambucá and other trees  (Read 26097 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Cambucá and other trees
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2015, 04:54:56 PM »
thanks for your contribution to this discussion, and for confirming the statements I made earlier in this thread.

The original strain of Cambuca (Plinia edulis) introduced in continental USA, as well as in Hawaii and Australia came from a same source: a very productive tree from Antonio Morschbacker's uncle farm, which is planted besides a stream. It can bears large fruits, from 5 to 7 cm. This first introduction period happened in the early 1990s (so, more than 20 years ago), and are partially reported in Antonio's original article in Rare Fruit News (reproduced in Fruitpedia website):
External Links:
    The Cambuca: The Myrtaceae in Its Best - by Antonio Morschbacker
    http://www.fruitipedia.com/cambuca%20Plinia%20edulis.htm
Antonio was a good friend of the late Bill Whitman (Florida), of Frankie Sekyia (Hawaii) and of Hans Mueller (Australia). These three gentlemen raised and distributed Antonio's seedlings in America and Australia.
Recent imports, as far as I know, came from São Paulo and Santa Catarina States, mainly.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2015, 06:45:00 AM »
The original strain of Cambuca (Plinia edulis) introduced in continental USA, as well as in Hawaii and Australia came from a same source: a very productive tree from Antonio Morschbacker's uncle farm, which is planted besides a stream. It can bears large fruits, from 5 to 7 cm. This first introduction period happened in the early 1990s (so, more than 20 years ago), and are partially reported in Antonio's original article in Rare Fruit News (reproduced in Fruitpedia website):
External Links:
    The Cambuca: The Myrtaceae in Its Best - by Antonio Morschbacker
    http://www.fruitipedia.com/cambuca%20Plinia%20edulis.htm
Antonio was a good friend of the late Bill Whitman (Florida), of Frankie Sekyia (Hawaii) and of Hans Mueller (Australia). These three gentlemen raised and distributed Antonio's seedlings in America and Australia.
Recent imports, as far as I know, came from São Paulo and Santa Catarina States, mainly.

There are errors in that page... The photos are of cambucás, but the text talks about the cambuci (campomanesia Phaea) ;)

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2015, 06:46:53 PM »
Looks like my cambuca is flowering...

bad news is that it's flowering like a eugenia.  Candolleana or something like it.

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2015, 07:07:42 PM »
I'm somewhat annoyed in the sense that I got this plant in the '90s from Ed Krajaulis.  It sounds like it's before Rainforest plums ever got to the US, but it also could be that the late Krajaulis was confused by similar common names in ordering direct from Brasil, so something.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2015, 07:14:21 PM »
Looks like my cambuca is flowering...

bad news is that it's flowering like a eugenia.  Candolleana or something like it.

post a pic, I'll tell you your fortune!

http://youtu.be/zk7H28J137c
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2015, 08:27:09 PM »
I don't have a digital camera.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2015, 08:54:05 PM »
I don't have a digital camera.

I'd be really surprised if you have a Eugenia candolleana...typically the tree would not take more than 4-6yrs to flower.

does the bark look like this?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2015, 01:44:39 PM »
It has flowered with a couple of blossoms at a very young age, but this is the first time there has been any substantial blossoms.  Have now added Syzigium cumini as a possible suspect.  As an aside, it really does seem like eugenia candolleana and sygygium cumini have very similar behavior, and looking at various jambolan pics, S. cumini has lots of types, so I wonder how closely related these two guys are.

Bark was grey some time ago, has peeled to a relatively red bark, and isn't peeling now.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2015, 01:55:49 PM »
the foliage of E. candolleana is much softer and more pliable than S. cumini

they are quite easy to distinguish via visual inspection.

(S. cumini has a more prominent midrib....it's flowers are also much different, having a puff ball appearance, without conspicuous petals)

I don't need a photo to figure out what you have...I like to play the guessing game.

;D

It has flowered with a couple of blossoms at a very young age, but this is the first time there has been any substantial blossoms.  Have now added Syzigium cumini as a possible suspect.  As an aside, it really does seem like eugenia candolleana and sygygium cumini have very similar behavior, and looking at various jambolan pics, S. cumini has lots of types, so I wonder how closely related these two guys are.

Bark was grey some time ago, has peeled to a relatively red bark, and isn't peeling now.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2015, 02:02:32 PM »
also S. cumini is not as closely related to E. candolleana as you may think.

E. uniflora is a closer relative.

if you compare the anatomy of their fruit and flowers, you will see the Syzygiums are noticeably different than Eugenias.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2015, 02:51:02 PM »
Yeah, I'm getting that you can also tell by the trunk, jambolans will not really have peeling trunk at all, and be similar to cattelei guavas, right?

It is really closest to candolleana.  At this point, I'm pretty convinced it's a Eugenia, at least.

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2015, 05:40:02 PM »
Yeah, I am going to have to get a picture of this thing uploaded.  Definitely could be Plinia rivularis, as that the blooms have the same bunch character as E. candolleana or S. cumini.  Got just no head for taxonomy.

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2015, 06:46:43 PM »
An aside, can you tell me what makes E. candolleana E?  It's just not like most of the other common groupings of Eugenias, and really just looks more like it belongs to Plinia to my *extremely* unexpert eye.  I mean, I've seen cambucas in person at Frankie Sekiya's nursery, and checked against the memory of the plant at home.  At least at the time, the cambucas at Frankies didn't have the dark green coloration that I see in pictures today.  I'd be motivated to, since I've have had the experience of buying something and getting something else (cedar bay cherry instead of yellow jaboticaba) before having gone to Hawai'i.

All this stuff is really confusing, especially since I've essentially by now think it's unlikely to be an actual cheating, with something that was common in the nursery trade in the '90s.  There are so many types and so many variations, and if it's some sort of Plinia, god help me, because there are just no good pictures of any aside from cambuca.  Even with P. rivularis, there are only a few pictures of blossoms, with at least one of them more like a truncifolia version of cambuca, with the others look like candolleana.  The drawings of P. renatiana clearly shows an inflorescence that's similar to what I've got now, instead of  big jaboticaba-like blossoms on the branches like P. edulis.

edit:  Eugenia florida can also be added to suspect list.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:57:40 PM by shah8 »

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2015, 03:19:18 PM »
Still kinda going mad trying to pin this down.

Established that the raceme flowering pattern is pretty much the same as candolleana.  The leaves don't have any real aroma when crushed, especially compared to the grimal leaf crushed as control.

Thing is, I got this plant, at the very latest, in 1997.  Throughout the time I've had it, it has never had a growth pattern similar to my Suriname cherry, and roughly grows slightly slower than the grimal.  My thumb ain't that green, and I haven't really been able to care for any of my plants, like repots or root-pruning, and this one has almost died a couple of times--but it has *never* shown the vigor that has been talked about in the candolleana thread, and my Suriname Cherry is a very compliant, robust, have to really try to kill it sort of plant.  It hates, very much, changes in light patterns, and as a small plant, very intolerant of anything like full sun.  Really needs its micronutrients, too.

The other major issue is that at the time I got it, there was really rather little interest in Eugenias, and Jim West was still pretty much at the forefront with E. stipitata and victoriana.  Pitomba was the most exotic Eugenia plants offered in the states.  If I were to have been cheated state-side, this could, practically speaking, only be E. floribunda.  For several reasons, I've had to judge that unlikely.  So that mostly has meant some sort of issue with collection in Brazil.  Who down there would know about candolleana in the mid-90's?  I suppose they would know E. florida, but doesn't sounds like the right sort of flowers or the right color trunk.  Also, there are a number of Plinia, like rivularis and renatiana, that also has racemes instead of cauliflorus blossoms.  I've also have noticed that E. pyriformis has very diverse characteristics, with fruit that might pass for a cambuca.  Just mindboggling.

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2015, 11:25:34 PM »
At this point, I've also entertained Stoppers and other rarer ornamentals--have had to drop b/c only Simpson's has red bark, otherwise not a match.

Substantial red coloration of the bark is a pretty good way of eliminating a lot of suspects.  E. florida, floribunda has been eliminated, various uvaias clearly don't have big enough leaves.

Pretty much left with:

Eugenia Candolleana

+ looks right, flowers right, has red bark

-  Leaves on my tree slightly too large on average--some are 10cm in length, not vigorous (when it has been happy, never grew substantially, has taken size before it would really grow much) Also sounds like it's a more regular shedder of bark compared to mine, lastly acquired before it was well known, wrong color fruit to be described as cambuca.

Plinia Renatiana

+ e-jardim seems to say it has bark like cambuca/psidium, so red bark, online dried collections from Brazil (but not F Guiana) shows proper leaf, flowering, good faith collection would have a fruit similar to cambuca.  E-jardim shows growing tip on top of seedling that is exactly like how mine (and candolleana, and P. rivularis, etc) is colored and grows.  Known as a cambuca variant in Brazil.

- relying on minimal description, average leaves are described to be a bit bigger than mine

Will borrow a camera as soon as it actually blossoms.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2015, 11:42:04 PM »
You can look at photos of rainforest plum (Eugenia candolleana) i've posted in other threads and see if it matches. Use the google image search feature right on the forum.
Oscar

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2015, 03:52:22 PM »
I have, countless times, by now.

If you crush your candolleana leaves, do you get strong fragrance?  I can only get a hint of that green-nutmeg scent, by crushing really hard and smelling hard, and it doesn't smell quite right even then.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »
I have, countless times, by now.

If you crush your candolleana leaves, do you get strong fragrance?  I can only get a hint of that green-nutmeg scent, by crushing really hard and smelling hard, and it doesn't smell quite right even then.
Never tried crushing leaves. I'm usually too busy crushing weeds and mowing grass.  ;) Will try it next time and let you know.
Oscar

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2015, 12:18:46 AM »
So the flowering happened today...

Didn't get a great picture of the flowers.  Substantially similar to E Candolleana in longer, not very rounded petals.  Early in the day, the petals were folded back, away from the petals, but later, when these were taken, the petals were forward, around the stamens.  The flowers did have a scent, enough to easily be sniffable, but not anything like as strong as the Grimal.  The scent isn't as nice, either, smelling something like a weaker narcissus with a little honeysuckle sweetness.  You could say there is an onion/garlic note, but it's more narcissus.

The leaves are a bit like E Candolleana, but they are generally bigger and flatter than E. Candolleana.  I took a picture of a leaf that was 10cm in length, and they can go to at least 12.5cm in length.

At the bottom, the trunk has zero inclinations to sucker, and the tree seems to actively neglect lower branches in favor of higher branches in a spreading format.  The bottom is smooth, with a mottled gold and copper look.  As you go up higher it's a stronger reddish copper smoothness, until you hit bark that hasn't flaked off yet.  It mostly flakes off rather in chips rather than peels off.  Above a point, you have grayish bark with tiny longitudinal ridges, with areas higher that that has flaked off to copper as well.

In addition to seeking the sort of tree shape a M. Trunciflora or P. Rivularis tend to want to have, in the lower areas of the bark, you can find fissures.  These are smaller than what Adam has shown in the JA thread, and there's no signs of a branch, though I might be able to believe that a branch once existed there.  They are hard to see in this image, but the trunk in the forefront has circular patches of copper in the middle of bark area where fissures are, and the background trunk has fissures at the very bottom of the image.

The young leaves have very little red pigmentation that quickly fades.  They are shinier than mature leaves, and have no fuzz.

I basically have no real idea what this is, because it seems that most of these genus and species borrow from a very similar set of different ideas, and you generally need to match multiple traits.  There is also difficulties in making assumptions, because different subspecies/varietals have have some pretty different features. 

So I figure that

1)  However unlikely that is, some kind of Stopper from S. Florida?  Main problem is that the leaves probably should be highly aromatic, when these are not. 

2)  Eugenia Candolleana?  Tree was got before many people knew about E. candolleana.  The leaves are bigger than what Candolleana should be.  It doesn't shed bark annually.  It grows very much like how a jaboticaba would grow, particularly trunciflora, vexator, etc, and not like any of the Eugenias (at least not the fast growing ones like Candolleana).  I also get the sense that Candolleana is more of an upright grower when it gets bigger, rather than the general umbrella, almost weeping shape this tree is.

3)  Eugenia florida?  It's not supposed to have smooth red skin on the trunk, but this tree does have the sort of maybe rough grayish bark...maybe?  The leaves are almost big enough, per Helton, and I suspect this would have been more common than E. candolleana in the 90s.

4)  Some kind of Plinia that's much like Rivularis or Trunciflora.  Again, leaves are bigger than most known myrtacae, and are certainly bigger than previous mentioned species.  It's not grandiflora or aureana.

5)  A uvaia with much bigger than normal leaves.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2015, 12:51:08 AM »
Looks most like Eugenia candolleana!
(Looks like you were right all along!)
 :o
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2015, 02:04:14 AM »
Not gunna trust nothing until I see the ripe fruits, though.  Not kidding when I say the growth habit is wrong--the candolleana cold-hardiness thread and the one-page eugenia candolleana thread both show fairly large plants that essentially grows like surinam cherries, especially in the sense that there are so many low branches and it's all bushy.  Could be a product of how it was grown and managed to survive my incompetence and pot-boundedness.

thing is...so many myrciara species can look so much like another sp.  I also have a hard time believing that there's a twenty year tradition of Brazilians substituting candolleana for P. edulis.

It's not as if it's like the Grimal, with those readily identifiable huge petals...I've been wondering for a while just how close the Grimal is to Paulista and Sabara, genetically.  With as good a look at just how closely even relatively distant relatives can look to each other...

So Adam, do your candolleana leaves have much aromatic oils in them?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2015, 04:31:15 AM »
Looks like rainforest plum (candolleana) to me also. But hard to tell for sure because your flower photo is out of focus. Not really hard to distinguish eugenias from jaboticabas or plinias because the last 2 have cauliflorous flowers and eugenias don't. Your plants is definitely an eugenia. If you take a better photo of the flower can tell you whether it's candolleana or not.
Oscar

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2015, 12:03:59 PM »
There are a number of plinias that bloom with racemes, and apparently some stressed/young jaboticaba sp. will flower in a non-cauliflorous manner.  As far as I can tell, them taxonomists out there separate eugenia from plinia/marliera/myciara mostly by whether a fruit has a semi-stiff shell and gelatinous pulp or whether it has a thin skin and fleshy pulp. 

I had to borrow someone's time as well as ipod, since she insisted on using it herself, so I'd rather not ask again.  The flowers are at least minimally similar to pics here of candolleana.  How are candolleana flowers distinct from other eugenia?  Also, it does seem that different seedlings of candolleana have slightly different flowers.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2015, 01:14:53 PM »
E. candolleana is cold hearty, but in the same way a guava is.

so the term "cold hearty" can be deceptive.

even though they're capable of surviving temps of about 25F, the trees will still defoliate they are exposed to chilly temps (even 40F can do it, if conditions are right...being cold and dry, and windy).

E. candolleana is a deciduous species (maybe semi-deciduous in some places)...but the point is, it sheds its leaves readily...so many people assume it's cold damage, when its not the case.

also, the tree will have branch die back, which can be misinterpreted as cold damage, this is  normal in my experience...I suppose it's how the tree naturally prunes itself.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2015, 03:28:46 PM »
...How are candolleana flowers distinct from other eugenia?  Also, it does seem that different seedlings of candolleana have slightly different flowers.

As a curiosity: Believe me, the same tree can produce slightly different flowers in the same year. I have one small seedling (50 cm tall) that did it in the current winter (when flowered by the first time), but produced zero fruits... I must have the photos in some place... By other side, I have one seedling in 1,80m tall that not flowered until now! Condolleana varies a lot...

To the Admins: I think the discussion and posts about Condollena could be splitted from this, to it´s own thread, since the main subject of this thread verses about cambucá, not about condolleana. The separation will put the place in better organization. Just a suggestion. ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:44:13 PM by Cassio »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk