Author Topic: Trip to Borneo was a success  (Read 2339 times)

ben mango

• View Profile
Trip to Borneo was a success
« on: January 26, 2018, 02:03:18 AM »
I will say musang king in Kuala Lumpur was some of th best fruit tasting of the whole
Trip. I spent 6 weeks traveling around with my gf who is also into fruits. Anyways, back to musang king. Is it really worth the price ? (Of around $12 per kilo). The answer is yes but the price is definitely high. For me, I really like arancillo in Davao and the taste is similar to musang king , bitter sweet, creamy texture. And price in peak season is only a dollar or 2 per kilo there for the best quality arancillo

We sent seeds back to Hawaii of Durio gravoelns (3 types/ orange , red and even one that was orange and yellow, , graveolens x zibethinus hybrids (2 types, one red and one orange), Durio oxylenaus , couple types of cempedak and, many dabai seed which were  my favorite new fruit for me. Some of the cempedak we ate were very rich tasting, making even a Marang seem not as flavorful, and a jackfruit boring. the cempedak would give off strong hints of butterscotch and caramel , leaving my mouth feeling coated in sugar. Many of these seed will be going into the ground soon at a friends piece of land on the hamakua coast on big island.

I recommend Borneo to any exotic fruit lover and I plant to go back again at some point to eat Durio kutejensis which we didn’t get to try on this trip. Also dabai is a really amazing fruit which I can easily eat a pound or two everyday if they are available. Yet, when it comes to getting to feast on unlimited good quality durian Davao still is top for me

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Trip to Borneo was a success
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 10:18:38 AM »
Congratulations on the trip, sounds like you must have had a wonderful time!  Good to hear that you were able to collect seeds from some choice varieties.  Good luck with the APHIS folks, hopefully your seeds will breeze through & help increase our fruit diversity here in HI.

John

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 12:06:08 PM »
Good to hear. What cities did you visit?

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 01:55:28 PM »
Sounds like one heck of a time!

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 03:09:27 PM »
Nice trip.  What were the most rewarding locations in Borneo?
Peter

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 07:41:58 PM »
Miri / graveolens were in abundance, some oxyleanus, dulcis, zibethinus x dulcis and zibethinus x graveolens hybrids were available at Emart farmers market and the daily market downtown, amazing dabai. Then we went to Kota Kinabalu where there were also a lot of wild Durios not including kutejensis, I guess we were too early for that. Great night market there every night with several fruit vendors it starts to open up around 4 or 5. There we tried tenom, Its yellow skin and reddish pink flesh. went to Kuching for a week and explored some of the markets there. Nothing very impressive found besides a 10/10 cempejak , the market in Serian an hour outside Kuching was worth the ride , where we found nice cempedak s, pedalai and more graveolens. Next time I go I would plan to go later in the season and hope to find abundance of kutejensis. Sibu would be great to visit next time too

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 08:01:30 PM »
I spent 6 weeks traveling around with my gf who is also into fruits.

You might want to reword that LOL.....

Sorry, it is Friday night. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 09:17:25 PM »
Thanks a lot for the information.  There’s a lot of markets, I suppose that timing is critical and that is really the random factor with success on a project like this.
Can you drive around Brunei or is it best to fly between Sarawak and Sabah, renting a car in each to access more remote fruit growing areas and markets?
Thanks,
Peter

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 10:32:47 PM »
Kuching for a week and explored some of the markets there. Nothing very impressive found besides a 10/10 cempejak ,

Can you explain what 10/10 means just to be sure.

Which market did you find it?

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 01:23:30 AM »
we flew from city to city, rented a car for one day around Miri but did go into more rural places a couple times. The city still have a good selection of fruits.
Future, 10 out of 10, at least for me the flavor was perfect,sometimes the cempeJaks can have an off taste to it , that particular one was found at a random little market

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk