Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 529357 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #1275 on: March 21, 2019, 06:22:57 PM »
It could be nutritional or due to the size(establishment) of your trees. Your Coconut Cream looks like it could use some fertilizer based on the light green color of your leaves.

Your other trees may have a more established root system and canopy so it may have more energy to push out larger blooms.

Simon

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 21, 2019, 06:36:03 PM »
It could be nutritional or due to the size(establishment) of your trees. Your Coconut Cream looks like it could use some fertilizer based on the light green color of your leaves.

Your other trees may have a more established root system and canopy so it may have more energy to push out larger blooms.

Simon

I have been feeding 20-20-20 with micros through Ez-Flo during regular watering which is a few times a week, and fish emulsion + kelp every two weeks. Can it be in a nutrient lock condition for any reason?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #1277 on: March 21, 2019, 06:37:24 PM »
Unfortunately, my 3 gallon coconut cream from plantogram appeared to develop floral malformation. It was planted September 2018, and has grown a few feet since then. It started to form multiple flower panicles lately, and most of them look like below. What is the best remedy? Cut all the flowers if it has a chance in the future without the use of fungicides? Or, should I cut my losses and remove it so the disease doesn't spread to healthy trees. Thanks in advance.

Post photos when the flowers open.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 22, 2019, 10:23:50 PM »

Simon

I have been feeding 20-20-20 with micros through Ez-Flo during regular watering which is a few times a week, and fish emulsion + kelp every two weeks. Can it be in a nutrient lock condition for any reason?

Those ratios are too high for Mangos grown in SoCal, especially when combined with fish emulsion. Unless you are using the 20-20-20 in diluted feedings, you can be causing nutrient lock but it depends on many factors.

Going into the fall and especially in Winter, Mangos don’t need much if any fertilizer since they basically stop growing vegetatively when it’s cold.

Too much Nitrogen in Fall and Winter will encourage wayward( out of season) growth that may start out vegetatively but will end up usually turning into blooms. This out of season growth is exposed to cold weather and the growth often gets injured by the cold or fungus.

Your fertilizer regimen may work well in the warmer months between May through August but I would decrease Nitrogen and increase Silica, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese and Zinc around September. Increasing these micros and some of the minors around this time will help your tree uptake these elements before it gets too cold. When it gets too cold, it becomes more difficult for mango trees to uptake these nutrients partly because of slower respiration and partly because of decreased microbial activity in the soil.

Simon

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 23, 2019, 09:54:27 PM »
You are right Simon, I was likely over fertilizing the trees during winter. I noticed flushes during January/February are lighter green than the past flashes. Some like Maha Chanok, cogshall, small 3 g ice cream flowered a lot. I made a mistake of cutting flower panicles in the muddle of January which killed the trees except maha that is in ground, but in a bad shape. Trees started drying up from the top and eventually died. I haven’t seen that to trees I didn’t cut flower panicles. I am hoping CC doesn’t have malformation and it’s current status is due to over fertilization.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 26, 2019, 09:15:04 PM »
Unfortunately, my 3 gallon coconut cream from plantogram appeared to develop floral malformation. It was planted September 2018, and has grown a few feet since then. It started to form multiple flower panicles lately, and most of them look like below. What is the best remedy? Cut all the flowers if it has a chance in the future without the use of fungicides? Or, should I cut my losses and remove it so the disease doesn't spread to healthy trees. Thanks in advance.

Post photos when the flowers open.

Here are some pictures with open flowers, a few opened so far. That is the case with my other mangoes as well. Most flowered but flowers didn't open yet as we were still getting low 40s until last week and a few low 40s in the forecast next week as well.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 26, 2019, 10:35:32 PM »
The eggs/cocoons look like those laid by parasitic wasps, but I have only ever seem them lay them on tomato hornworms.
Maybe you can take some of the eggs off, place them in a TIGHTLY sealed jar and see what hatches! Otherwise, whatever they are may leave before you see them.
I did that when I was a kid - thought I had a million baby dragonflies.  Turned out to be a million mosquitoes...

Carolyn

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 26, 2019, 10:38:18 PM »
The side branches of the inflorescence look stunted or dwarfed, but otherwise, all the tissue appears healthy.
Har

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 26, 2019, 11:00:36 PM »
The side branches of the inflorescence look stunted or dwarfed, but otherwise, all the tissue appears healthy.

What a relief! I was waiting to hear your opinion, good thing I didn’t yank the tree thinking it developed malformation disease. Thanks.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: March 27, 2019, 09:56:09 AM »
A paper published in India, quite a few years ago, indicated that mango flowers infected with mango malformation, could be made to set fruit anyway by spraying them with Ascorbic Acid / Vitamin-C.  This is only relevant for hopelessly infested trees, where it would be financially ruinous to cut them all down.

If malformation begins on a mostly healthy tree, the infected branch should be cut off, including cutting off at least several inches of healthy-looking branch--- some growers prefer to remove 2-3 feet of healthy-looking branch.  Clippers or saws should be sanitized between cuts, and prunings should be removed from the grove.
Har

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: April 01, 2019, 03:24:06 PM »
What's going on with my lemon zest tree? This is (thus far) only happening on a couple branches - everything else appears to be healthy. Not entirely clear from the photo, but the leaves are severely curling up which is what first caught my eye.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: April 01, 2019, 09:26:57 PM »
Powdery Mildew.
Har

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: April 01, 2019, 10:32:47 PM »
I noticed blackened leaves near the petiole and part of the branch, I cut it off as a precaution. Should I be worried if I see more of this, and is there a remedy? Thanks.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: April 02, 2019, 08:22:04 AM »
Inside the branch where you cut it, was the wood clean creamy white?  Or were there dark stains?

If the dark stains go on down to the roots, the tree is probably a gonner, and the ground contaminated;  however, you might be able to save the tree by drenching the ground with a conventional systemic fungicide, such as Alliette or Flanker, which often bring plants back from the edge of death.

If the wood looked clean where you cut it, you still might want to drench the soil with a Potassium Phosphite product, such as Organocide Plant Doctor (NOT Organocide 3-in-1).  You may have to follow the directions for drenching avocadoes, as most labels don't manage to mention drenching mangoes, as established trees in groves are unlikely to need it.
Har

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: April 02, 2019, 09:10:31 AM »
Cut part of the branch was creamy white. I am going to drench the affected Alphonso with Organocide systemic fungicide once I get it tomorrow. Does it kill beneficial organisms when applied, if not I can drench all mango trees as a precaution?  Thanks.

Edit: Alphonso was in a 15 gallon pot until yesterday when I planted it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 10:02:18 AM by hawkfish007 »

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: April 02, 2019, 03:03:29 PM »
it is pretty strong stuff, so measure carefully.
Har

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: April 02, 2019, 04:41:04 PM »
it is pretty strong stuff, so measure carefully.

Har, I can only find foliar and bark injection rates for mango and avocado on the label online. Should I use soil drench rate given for conifers 2-4 teaspoons/gallon, or 2/3 oz per gallon? I can make a stock solution at .66 oz/gallon or more, and drench the soil at 1:100 rate with dosatron; however, 0.66 oz/gallon rate is higher than the foliar rate given for both mango and avocado. Thanks for your help.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: April 02, 2019, 08:32:05 PM »
You are right.  [about the label specs for mango and avocado]

[In recent years I have sprayed with Potassium Phosphite products labeled as fertilizers, and coming in 2 1/2-gallon jugs, and those don't have specific recommendations for drenching mango trees either, as everything would have to be just right to avoid injuring the trees.]

If your small mango tree has plenty of healthy leaves on it, then the labeled instructions for spraying the foliage, at 2 teaspoons per gallon, will work best.  It is systemic in action, just as it would be if entering the roots.  And this way you will be strictly per label.

If, however, the tree looks as though it is going to die anyway, then nothing worse than death will happen to it if it is drenched at the ornamental bedding plant rate of 1/8 teaspoon in just one gallon of water over that 15-gallon-sized rootball.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:21:13 AM by Guanabanus »
Har

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: April 02, 2019, 10:07:05 PM »
Thanks Har, I will use recommended foilar spray rate or 2 teaspoons/gallon for drenching as you recommended. I will probably drench all the mangoes since they are in ground for only 6 months or less.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: April 03, 2019, 09:17:16 AM »
That is probably too strong for drenching, because the volume of mix that you are applying to the plant is far greater.

Soil drenching rates are usually different from foliar spraying rates.

What I mentioned as Probably safe for drenching is 1/8 teaspoon per gallon.  If you go with stronger, than just do one and observe it for at least a month before doing any others.
Har

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: April 03, 2019, 10:24:48 PM »
Har, thanks for pointing that out, or I would have used too much. I bought a quart size and at this rate it should last me decades since there is no expiration date. I used 1 ml/2 gallon of water. Thanks again.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: April 03, 2019, 10:58:05 PM »
I noticed blackened leaves near the petiole and part of the branch, I cut it off as a precaution. Should I be worried if I see more of this, and is there a remedy? Thanks.

I call that black stuff “Black Death”. If untreated, the blackened areas gradually increase in size and cause leaf death and eventually die back of the infected area. The PPK lineage seems really susceptible to this type of die back. Lemon Zest and PPK can get it really bad. I don’t have enough data on Orange Sherbet.

Simon

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: April 03, 2019, 11:27:05 PM »

I call that black stuff “Black Death”. If untreated, the blackened areas gradually increase in size and cause leaf death and eventually die back of the infected area. The PPK lineage seems really susceptible to this type of die back. Lemon Zest and PPK can get it really bad. I don’t have enough data on Orange Sherbet.

Simon

I drenched the affected tree with Organocide systemic fungicide as Har suggested. I haven't seen black spot in other areas or on other trees, fingers crossed.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #1298 on: April 05, 2019, 10:58:51 AM »
Someone emailed me these pictures. They said it was only on the trunk and branches. Any ideas?

-Josh

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 05, 2019, 11:47:33 AM »
picrure quality isn't great, but kinda looks like lobate scale (though I've never seen it on mango before).