Author Topic: Eureka lemon bark splitting  (Read 2232 times)

lotusblos

• San Joaquin County, California
    • View Profile
Eureka lemon bark splitting
« on: May 25, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »
I've got a 5-year old Eureka lemon tree that's gotten a significant amount of split bark. I think it all happened over the winter. The tree seems healthy now, but I'm wondering if there's something I can do to prevent it from happening in the future.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka lemon bark splitting
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 02:20:31 PM »
lotusblos, Citrus tree problems with bark that is cracking and splitting can frequently be more or less common, and may not be cause for alarm. Cracked bark can be caused by the natural growth process, or rapid changes in weather conditions or temperature during various parts of the growing season. However, if your  tree is showing other symptoms, such as gumming, discoloration or die back, your tree may be infected with one of several disease.  I have several lemon trees that develop vertical bark splits from time to time.  The splits are generally anywhere from  3 to 5 inches long, and of very shallow depth. I have several varieties of lemons.  The splits to my trees have never caused any actual damage, or hardship to the tree, nor do I ever see any type of bleeding or oozing from them.  All of my lemon trees remain very healthy and producing fruit throughout the year. - Millet
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:33:15 PM by Millet »

lotusblos

• San Joaquin County, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 04:13:12 PM »
Thanks Millet. This tree did experience significant die back last winter. I think I had a bad leaf miner infestation just before the cold weather hit. The "expert" at OSH advised that I treat it with a systemic poison, which I did. The tree is growing and flowering, with I think only a minor problem with scale.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 08:27:44 PM »
Lotusblos, scale are quite easy to control with a good horticultural oil.  In fact horticultural oil also does a great job controlling  aphids, white flies, mites, and mealybug.  The great thing about horticultural oil, is that it is 100% non toxic. - Millet