Author Topic: Planting a Meyer with "wet feet" issues  (Read 1406 times)

GregBradley

• Upland, CA USDA 9b Sunset 19
    • View Profile
Planting a Meyer with "wet feet" issues
« on: June 23, 2014, 02:04:39 PM »
I have two Meyer Standards awaiting planting, which should have happened a while ago. They have been in the sun all winter and under the eaves on the north side of my house as it started to get hot.

I didn't realize that the heavier mix in the Durling tree was holding water much better than the other until the leaves started to yellow a bit and some new lemons started to turn black. I can see now that the soil has been too wet. The other one in the same location with the same watering and fertilizing is doing well.

I will probably have a hole for one of the Meyers ready by tomorrow. I can plant the one that is doing well or the one that has had its feet wet too much. It hasn't lost a single leaf but most of them are drooping and less green than they were. The one that is doing poorly fits the espalier in that location better.

Should I plant it as-is? Should I let it dry out a bit and let it recover in the pot? I was thinking I might take all the mix off the roots and plant it in the hole with minimal amendments.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Planting a Meyer with "wet feet" issues
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 10:11:51 PM »
Drooping leaves can be caused by drought, and it can also be caused by a medium saturated with too much water. In your tree's case it is from a saturated soil.  Your tree's drooping is actually caused by a lack of soil oxygen which was driven out by the saturated situation..  Without available oxygen roots cannot absorb water even though it is in ample supply.  Planting the tree as is, will not cure the problem.  It should be corrected.  Removing all of the medium, could cause still more trouble for the tree if not done very carefully , depending on how tightly the roots are held by the present soil. - Millet

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Planting a Meyer with "wet feet" issues
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 07:23:04 AM »
Depending on the length they have been in the over moist medium,  there may be irreparable root rot damage to the tree.
- Rob