Author Topic: Stolen banana hand  (Read 5596 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Stolen banana hand
« on: May 09, 2012, 02:31:15 PM »
So I am harvesting some tomatoes and about to head home from an arable land plot i have.  It comes to mind to check on those bananas, even though I looked at them just this Sunday. 

Gone.

A clean cut.

As if they were never there.

First theft from this relatively obscure location (in a quiet neighborhood).  Kiss 40lbs of organic banana goodbye...

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen banana hand
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 02:36:36 PM »
So where were they located? 

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 02:42:52 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear that, especially the neighborhood as you described ... I'd walk around pissed pointing fingers at everyone, but you're a better man than I
Tim

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:53:52 PM »

I have a plot of arable land nestled in a neighborhood.  Outside traffice would be limited to those who need to be there.  One way in and one way out.  Of course landscapers, postal delivery, trash trucks, the cable guy, the phone gal etc. are seeing it as theydo their work.  Still,l this is a first and very much a sign of the times.  In bermuda, organic bananas sell at a premium price - way above US prices.  The hand was easily worth $100.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »

I have a plot of arable land nestled in a neighborhood.  Outside traffice would be limited to those who need to be there.  One way in and one way out.  Of course landscapers, postal delivery, trash trucks, the cable guy, the phone gal etc. are seeing it as theydo their work.  Still,l this is a first and very much a sign of the times.  In bermuda, organic bananas sell at a premium price - way above US prices.  The hand was easily worth $100.

So sorry to hear, this has been a common theme the last 4 years. Fruit and vegetable thieves.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »

Sounds like they stole your whole stock, not just one hand. A hand is just one section of the stock, like you buy in the stores. Sorry to hear about the theft. I know how much that can hurt....way beyond a money hurt. All i can suggest is to start a neighborhood watch to clue you in on suspicous characters lurking around.
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 04:59:26 PM »

First theft from this relatively obscure location (in a quiet neighborhood).  Kiss 40lbs of organic banana goodbye...

Sucks! My symapthies

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 08:23:56 PM »
Ah yes, you are correct, the whole stock.  The other reason it is most likely someone from outside the area, most ppl in the area have fruit trees themselves.  So there is a natural respect there. 

Anyhow, I am not going to compost the thief just yet though...

Sounds like they stole your whole stock, not just one hand. A hand is just one section of the stock, like you buy in the stores. Sorry to hear about the theft. I know how much that can hurt....way beyond a money hurt. All i can suggest is to start a neighborhood watch to clue you in on suspicous characters lurking around.

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 09:49:30 PM »
We had an Indian couple come to a family member's house and insistently inform them that "your mangos are overripe...they need to be picked NOW. You don't know what you are doing..." We politely informed them that they were not quite ready (they were Keitts and needed to fill out laterally). The next day, all 30+ mangos were gone. Several years later, the Indian grandmother walked into the house (through the open garage door), scared the heck out of my family member and then politely asked "so, you sell mangos, no?" In a not so nice tone they were told to get out of the house. And this is in an upscale neighborhood!!!
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 10:16:19 PM »
Oh no!
Sorry to hear!

Berman beats up banana trees for not fruiting, but never steals the fruits!

Did you see my post about "Taking others fruits? whats your take?"

were these planted on an easement? or well withing the limits of your property?

I wonder how far onto your property the thieves had to wander?

Once again, sorry to hear...that was a precious and long awaited edible treasure...totally jacked. :( >:(
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 06:25:04 AM »
Did not see the post but you can imagine my view.  They had to cross 20ft (2 10ft wide raised beds) across the border to access the trees.  This is the other problem with thieves.  They know not what they trample upon as they cross a property to steal. 

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 06:44:56 AM »
Bananas are one of the easier things to steal for persons who grew up around them.  Some know how to rip off the whole bunch with just a yanking twist, no knife necessary, and the whole thing already has its own handle.  The deed can be done in less than a minute.  In some countries, persons who think that they are not dumb, refuse to plant anything, because someone else will for sure take the fruit or cut the tree for firewood. 

A friend of mine, Moise, planted a small grove of avocadoes and mangos in his country, on a property a few miles away from his town.  One day he went to tend his plot of still juvenile trees.  He found people just finishing loading up the last of his trees cut into firewood.  They said, "There was NOBODY HERE!"  He got on a raft and arrived half starved in Florida around 1979.  He eventually became the main mango grafter at Zills.
Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 06:52:34 AM »
Bananas are one of the easier things to steal for persons who grew up around them.  Some know how to rip off the whole bunch with just a yanking twist, no knife necessary, and the whole thing already has its own handle.  The deed can be done in less than a minute. In some countries, persons who think that they are not dumb, refuse to plant anything, because someone else will for sure take the fruit or cut the tree for firewood. 

A friend of mine, Moise, planted a small grove of avocadoes and mangos in his country, on a property a few miles away from his town.  One day he went to tend his plot of still juvenile trees.  He found people just finishing loading up the last of his trees cut into firewood.  They said, "There was NOBODY HERE!"  He got on a raft and arrived half starved in Florida around 1979.  He eventually became the main mango grafter at Zills.

It's better to have planted and lost then to never have planted at all.
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
Interesting comments.  Ease of theft is a deciding factor for many would be growers here.  As a result of theft,  many people have cut down prime fruit trees in their yards, even the thief loses out now.  I myself have contemplated what to grow that is least likely to be stolen and it always comes down to some obscure plant that is unfamiliar to thieves and their (witting or unwitting) customers.  Pumpkins and watermelons are prime theft targets, as are bananas.  A big haul in a short harvest, easy to walk away with in a minute.  The items that are tedious to harvest deter the thief but...make for a tedious harvest for the owner.  Only an increase in so social maturity can prevail otherwise, expensive fencing (and even that can and has been cut through) security systems etc.  some have tried dogs, geese, game cameras....many things.

One guy saw me harvesting just this week and asked what I was picking.  He then said "well it is there so you may as well take it!". At which point I advised him it was there because of the work I did to put it there...he walked off...

Obscure crops, here we come.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 11:11:30 AM »
Interesting comments.  Ease of theft is a deciding factor for many would be growers here.  As a result of theft,  many people have cut down prime fruit trees in their yards, even the thief loses out now.  I myself have contemplated what to grow that is least likely to be stolen and it always comes down to some obscure plant that is unfamiliar to thieves and their (witting or unwitting) customers.  Pumpkins and watermelons are prime theft targets, as are bananas.  A big haul in a short harvest, easy to walk away with in a minute.  The items that are tedious to harvest deter the thief but...make for a tedious harvest for the owner.  Only an increase in so social maturity can prevail otherwise, expensive fencing (and even that can and has been cut through) security systems etc.  some have tried dogs, geese, game cameras....many things.

One guy saw me harvesting just this week and asked what I was picking.  He then said "well it is there so you may as well take it!". At which point I advised him it was there because of the work I did to put it there...he walked off...

Obscure crops, here we come.

Time for the Natal plums, and cactus fruits.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »
They certainly work in conjunction with a high locked gate.  But not feasible in this location and of course they take time to grow.  Plus they cast a shadow, shrinking you growing area.  Thieves bleed productivity one way or the other!

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 07:31:46 AM »
I know you feel violated. I have had mangoes disappear off the trees in my back yard. How they can steal 5 when there is only 7 on the tree is a mystery. I guess leaving me 2 made them feel better. I plan to put security cameras around my house soon so I can see what is going on at any given time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk