Author Topic: Juciy Peach and Peach Cobbler Mango  (Read 12692 times)

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
Re: Juciy Peach and Peach Cobbler Mango
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 11:28:49 PM »
I was hoping to blame you if it sucked, now I can't! ;)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 09:54:35 AM »
No one is commenting on Juicy Peach.  Were they any good this year?
John

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 10:36:27 AM »
I think once Rob spoke of how he started to appreciate the Juicy Peach flavor, many anointed it and decided it was in the top 10. lol  With all due respect to Rob, I would not put it in any top ten until you hear it over and over again from various people and hopefully they like what you like. I wish I were able to taste it for it sounds like a mango that could hit my top ten more than probably others for I like slightly tamer mangoes that still offer a pronounced flavor. I think most never grew it for the interest was on Peach Cobbler early on. Now it seems many will be growing it but it will take several more years before people start talking about it and have their own fruit to try. I do not think it will gain all star status since it will taste washed out compared to all these flavor bombs. The thing is, all these flavor bombs get to be a bit much eating day in and day out. To me, a great mango is one you can enjoy eating 3-4 mangoes at a sitting and still crave one more off the tree, now that is a superstar mango. I bet Juicy Peach does just that! But that is my system of a mango trial.  Most on here probably do not see it that way, and are looking for another Sweet Tart type, Bolt, or Kryptonite type. The ratings on here are not about balance for the most part, it is the one time taste test of knockout flavors that blow you away. I do not think Juicy Peach will remotely do that, so it will seldom if ever make a top ten placing. This is all my perspective, we shall see.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 10:45:27 AM »

Here is Peach cobbler perfectly ripe and ready to eat. Also a pic of the tree taken 5 months ago. I need to update and take a new pic. The tree is growing  aggressively and has been in the ground for 2 years and 4 months. It was a 3 gal tree and now stands 10ft by 9ft wide. It had about 70 fruit and I kept stripping the tree til it held 35 fruit max. The fruit held extremely well and literally could have easily held 45 and this was its first year fruiting. It is a workhorse here, and precociousness would be an understatement!

wow! from 3 Gal to 10 feet tall in 3 years. My 3 Gal in two years is only 4 feet x 4 feet, produced about 10 mangoes this year. It is very slow for me in So Cal.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:03:17 PM by behlgarden »

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »
Behl , they have rain , humidity & soft sandy soil = Quick growth
We have Little rain , dry heat and clay soil     =       Much slower growth

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2017, 11:53:24 AM »
No one is commenting on Juicy Peach.  Were they any good this year?

Yes, very giid in a not so great year.
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 12:22:17 PM »
I am not trying to praise myself at all but most people do not care for their trees and a 4 x4 tree size is the same thing you will find here on many occasions, usually caused by letting it fruit as a damn twig.  No mulch, weeds, grass to the trunk area, improper fertilizing or forgetting to fertilize altogether are common problems. It's all common sense!  It reached 10 ft at well under 3 years actually.  8-4-8 fertilizer works great but I also give them Ironite at equal ratios depending, with every feeding. And another big thing is over watering when people fertilize! they push the fertilizer past the root zone which is a common practice in our sandy soil and the trees get little fertilization.  Sorry for hijacking, but wanted to respond! I will post a pic later that I take today.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »
I think once Rob spoke of how he started to appreciate the Juicy Peach flavor, many anointed it and decided it was in the top 10. lol  With all due respect to Rob, I would not put it in any top ten until you hear it over and over again from various people and hopefully they like what you like. I wish I were able to taste it for it sounds like a mango that could hit my top ten more than probably others for I like slightly tamer mangoes that still offer a pronounced flavor. I think most never grew it for the interest was on Peach Cobbler early on. Now it seems many will be growing it but it will take several more years before people start talking about it and have their own fruit to try. I do not think it will gain all star status since it will taste washed out compared to all these flavor bombs. The thing is, all these flavor bombs get to be a bit much eating day in and day out. To me, a great mango is one you can enjoy eating 3-4 mangoes at a sitting and still crave one more off the tree, now that is a superstar mango. I bet Juicy Peach does just that! But that is my system of a mango trial.  Most on here probably do not see it that way, and are looking for another Sweet Tart type, Bolt, or Kryptonite type. The ratings on here are not about balance for the most part, it is the one time taste test of knockout flavors that blow you away. I do not think Juicy Peach will remotely do that, so it will seldom if ever make a top ten placing. This is all my perspective, we shall see.
So you've never tasted it, and you don't really know, but just wanted to offer your opinion anyway?  Okay.
John

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2017, 01:05:54 PM »
I am not trying to praise myself at all but most people do not care for their trees and a 4 x4 tree size is the same thing you will find here on many occasions, usually caused by letting it fruit as a damn twig.  No mulch, weeds, grass to the trunk area, improper fertilizing or forgetting to fertilize altogether are common problems. It's all common sense!  It reached 10 ft at well under 3 years actually.  8-4-8 fertilizer works great but I also give them Ironite at equal ratios depending, with every feeding. And another big thing is over watering when people fertilize! they push the fertilizer past the root zone which is a common practice in our sandy soil and the trees get little fertilization.  Sorry for hijacking, but wanted to respond! I will post a pic later that I take today.

for Florida yes, for CA it does not work on all varieties. On Fruiting, I believe its ok to let fruit when grafted tree is 3-4 yr old, size is something that is to be desired in CA.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 01:15:08 PM »
Yes, I am just giving my opinion on Juicy Peach from all I have read, just my gut opinion.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2017, 01:35:18 PM »

for Florida yes, for CA it does not work on all varieties. On Fruiting, I believe its ok to let fruit when grafted tree is 3-4 yr old, size is something that is to be desired in CA

I am not at all commenting on what you need to do in California as far as anything, especially fertilization.  I should have said that to begin with! I only speak of Florida, and even more so, the West coast. The East coast of Florida has different needs as well,  As far as fruiting, that is pretty universal and anyone who has knowledge, knows when a tree is ready. The condition of that tree, size and girth to support the weight of said fruit, is all paramount, I am sure most agree,  like I think you are talking about in post above.  To me Age means nothing,  if that tree is not ready, it is not ready, plain and simple. I am sure we are mainly agreeing, just spoken in a slightly different manner since our climatic situation is so much different.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »
Yes, I am just giving my opinion on Juicy Peach from all I have read, just my gut opinion.
I don't think I've seen much about Juicy Peach on this forum except that Rob, who's one of our connoisseurs, really likes it.  Maybe it hasn't been widely planted?
John

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2017, 05:47:35 PM »

Here is what I said earlier John !

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2017, 09:44:36 PM »
I've tried some the last few years. To me it has more of an orange juice/tang flavor more than a peach flavor and they really are extremely juicy. Overall an awesome unique flavored mango.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2017, 10:20:11 PM »
Which one bulldawg?

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2017, 10:15:46 PM »
Juicy Peach that is.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »
This is very encouraging.  Have 2 sticks of Juicy Peach on a cocktail tree, now on its second flush of leaves.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2017, 10:14:13 AM »
I understand tastes are subjective and how different people interpret flavors can be different, but the Juicy Peach I have had (and its been many) have been a mix of peachy and mango and extremely juicy.  I know I have shared them in the past with other members and one cherimoya growing non-member and all have lived it.  Until this year, sources for fruit were very limited and mainly came from ZHPP.   This year was the first I heard where supply was from multiole sources.  I know specimens fron Alex were highly regarded as being excellent.
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2017, 10:56:24 AM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 09:00:12 AM by Mark in Texas »

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2017, 05:27:17 PM »