Author Topic: SoCal Tropical Storm Watch  (Read 2737 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: SoCal Tropical Storm Watch
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2023, 10:57:19 PM »
The wind is wrecking shit here. 
Brad Spaugh

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2023, 11:31:03 PM »
Sorry to hear Brad.

The wind is just starting here in riverside. Been just steady rain all day till now. Palm Springs is at quite a bit more. Pretty wild.

Commercial mango growing happens out where they are experiencing the worst of the storm and I haven’t seen the Keitts in stores yet. I’m worried about my mangos splitting hopefully their crops are ok
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 12:31:32 AM by Victoria Ave »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2023, 10:07:41 AM »
Thinking of ya'll on the West Coast. Stay safe and well.

If you need help replacing anything that I have access to, gotcha covered Brad! Just holler

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2023, 10:32:31 AM »
About .66" up here in Santa Barbara where I'm at. A very welcome relief of the dryness, everything should blast off with water AND warmth. Hoping no horror stories from inland or more southern CA collectors!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2023, 10:39:21 AM »
It wasnt that bad, some broken trees and a couple broken fence sections and a bit of erosion to fix.  It did rain quite a bit so that was good.  At one point it was coming down really hard and there was too much water moving in my drain and creek overflowed and started going in places it shouldnt go and causing a bit of problems but not too bad.
Brad Spaugh

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2023, 11:54:40 AM »
My final rain measurement this Monday at 8 AM was 1.9" of rain in the last 24 hours.

We did have some 20-25 mph winds last night but no damage to anything at my location. This was a slow soaker so very little flooding.

This rain will really help with vegetative growth in the next month or two.

Johnny

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2023, 12:08:46 PM »
Wasn't as bad as last year's storm where I'm at (coastal south OC).  After no ants for a year, overnight, they invaded and my entire floor is covered in them, ugh.  Guess they wanted out of the rain.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2023, 12:35:46 PM »
Florida Storm Categories and prep:
1). Tropical Storm--Bring in lawn chairs/garbage cans. No golf today.  >:(
2). Cat 1 Hurricane--Board up windows and prepare to ride it out. Watch storm through cracks in boards. "Popcorn anyone?"
3). Cat 2 Hurricane--All of the above+buy extra fuel for generator and chainsaw. Drive around after storm to check damage to neighborhood and help neighbors.
4). Cat 3 Hurricane--You really should evacuate. Return neighbor's stray porch from 3 houses down after storm.
5). Cat 4 Hurricane--Time to be long gone! Call insurance adjuster from hotel during eye of storm to get first spot in line (don't provide specifics about damage until returning home other than to say--"significant").
6). Cat 5 Hurricane--Higher an archatect/building contractor before the rush. Also, requisition a "Vacant Lot For Sale--WATERFRONT!!!" sign (Even if it wasn't true before, it is now...)

*note: the above list is for the purpose of humor.

I will say that moving to the Atlantic Coast from the midwest, tropical storms and nor'easters were a real disappointment. They are basically what would be the weekly thunderstorm on the Great Lakes or the Plains.

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2023, 12:58:06 PM »
The continued Arizona and Nevada erasure on this site will be tolerated no more!!!!

We desert folk should be used to it by now. Lol.

It rained heavily in Vegas yesterday and medium showers here and there on Friday and Saturday, but it wasn't anything that was extraordinary. Didn't hold a candle to the three straight weeks of medium to heavy rain we had back in February of 2005. Still largely overcast but I don't think we're getting anything more than some scattered minor showers from this point.

Thankfully this looks to have been not nearly as destructive as advertised everywhere it's path has crossed and just ended up being some good rain. I'm sure Lake Mead is happy with it.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 12:45:58 PM by Fygee »
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2023, 04:34:46 PM »
Collected a few 44 gallons thrash bins with 20 5 gals of rain water.

According to NOAA, we got a total of 4.70 inches of rain.

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2023, 06:37:27 PM »
Glad to hear no major issues from the tropical storm with the forum members.  It rained all day in the Upland / Rancho Cucamonga (San Bernadino County).  2" of rain and thank goodness no heavy winds.  I had just grafted a few mango scions on Thursday and put down some slow release fertilizer Saturday evening.  I'm hoping to see some scion growth in a few weeks.

Cheers
Tony

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2023, 07:34:48 PM »
I too took the opportunity of throwing out organic fertilizer pellets under all my trees so they would water in well and have about 9 fresh scions on. Hoping for a nice explosion of growth

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2023, 09:08:52 PM »
 I'm glad all of y'all made it through without too much damage.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2023, 09:42:11 PM »
Believe it or not, I got over 6" of rain at my house, measure with a pot and camping cooler box. The 4" tall pot was over filled and the cooler measure near 9" but since there is a hump around the drain spigot so it's less than 8".  Weather predicted 20mph wind but we got less than 10 luckily. The pot and cooler were out in the open area.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 09:44:30 PM by sapote »

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2023, 11:14:20 PM »
2.5" here in Escondido highlands according to my weather station.  Solid rainfall and my soil is saturated for the next week or so.  There was a point between the hours of 4-11pm I thought I would wake up to total devastation.  The winds were howling.  End result was only a few broken tree branches, one banana toppled, and a couple trees restaked.  I feel fortunate all things considered.

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2023, 11:40:12 PM »
With all the record setting weather events this year I hope a hard freeze is not I. Our immediate furture!

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2023, 12:30:24 AM »
With all the record setting weather events this year I hope a hard freeze is not I. Our immediate furture!

This is an El Niño winter, so in theory that means fewer bad west coast deep freezes (weak polar jet stream), a damp/mild southern CA winter, and a dry/mild winter here in the PNW. But that's just statistics, who knows if those still hold true in this changing climate.

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2023, 10:57:55 AM »
Down here in Chula Vista the rain was fine. Just the wind came up on Sunday and it broke several limbs on my airlayered wax jambus and also a couple of large limbs broke on my Pitomba tree. Surprisingly none of my Pawpaw fruit got blown off, although i did lose some almost ripened lychees.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2023, 11:52:38 AM »
Hope yall got some good rain and not much damage to property/trees. Nobody died. You would most likely have to make a very dumb decision to die in a storm like that. Saw alot of people at the beaches were actually enjoying it. The storm predictably died out once it entered cooler waters and had some land interaction near Baja MX. Was pretty tame by the time it entered into CA.

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2023, 12:48:01 PM »
Had to drive from Vegas to Santa Monica and back for work on Monday and Tuesday. Didn't see a single drop of water on the road both ways. Only remnants of the storm I noticed were big ponds of water in Primm, and ungodly levels of humidity in Santa Monica. Felt like I needed gills to breathe.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2023, 07:32:26 PM »
Had to drive from Vegas to Santa Monica and back for work on Monday and Tuesday. Didn't see a single drop of water on the road both ways. Only remnants of the storm I noticed were big ponds of water in Primm, and ungodly levels of humidity in Santa Monica. Felt like I needed gills to breathe.

You just experienced 1 day of Florida.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk