Author Topic: Tropical Storm Darby  (Read 2272 times)

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Tropical Storm Darby
« on: July 24, 2016, 05:53:44 PM »
Just wondering how the big island growers fared with the tropical storm?  It was an anti-climax here (just outside of Hilo) -- kept waiting for it to get really windy & then it was gone ...

John

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Tropical Storm Darby
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 01:11:32 AM »
Well my friend.  It's literally been blue skies and sunny for the last two days.  Not even a spec of wind here in Kona where I'm at up on the mountain.   Kinda like the hurricane a couple years ago.  Nothing happened here in Kona.
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 11:04:14 PM »
Glad it was a total non-event for you, KFF.  We did get some good wind and rain was heavy at times but we have gotten worse from just regular rain storms at times.  I regret I spent so much time moving stuff in or lashing it down but you never know until it hits.

John

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 11:22:57 AM »
It was the highest water in a few years in Waipi'o valley.  Taro and small fruit trees were holding their breath for a day...underwater.
Luckily it didn't last very long.

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 01:13:01 PM »
The main trunk of my best durian tree fractured in the wind, so 2/3 of it is now gone. :(

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 01:31:54 PM »
Glad to hear it was nothing too serious for you, Micah.

Sorry to hear about the durian, BIG.  Hopefully it will recover quickly.  I had a feeling that there might be worse news coming from you guys in Puna & in Ka'u than up in the northern part of the island.

John

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 02:07:22 PM »
ashamed to say was almost a non-event in Hana [ about 1" rain ] some wind but not much more than heavy trades

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 02:35:46 PM »
We got breezy, barely any rain (total rainfall for 24 hours was less than 1 inch). It went right around us.  I sat in bed and watched Oahu get pummeled by lightning and rain for what felt like all night. I kept thinking it was heading our way.  News reports that Oahu got 8-9 inches of rain.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 06:45:16 PM »
Darby was mostly a dud here, for which i'm very thankful. Just a few strong gusts for a few minutes. Heard it was stronger winds along the coastline.
On friday night there was an earthquake in Kona, which i guess affected Kona a lot more than Darby?
Oscar

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 11:13:52 AM »
Glad to hear it was nothing too serious for you, Micah.

Sorry to hear about the durian, BIG.  Hopefully it will recover quickly.  I had a feeling that there might be worse news coming from you guys in Puna & in Ka'u than up in the northern part of the island.

John

Thanks.  Same thing happened with Iselle.  One durian snapped off at the trunk, about six feet up.  It's growing back quite nicely.
Durian wood is soft and somewhat weak, I guess.  A bit over 4 inches of rain at my place.  Looks like Oahu got most of the rain.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk