Author Topic: Indoor vs. outdoor potting soil.  (Read 2296 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Indoor vs. outdoor potting soil.
« on: July 13, 2012, 06:13:14 PM »
Since they're both for containers, can I use  the "outdoor" stuff for indoor, and vice versa? Anything to worry about, or is it just marketing?
Thanks,

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor vs. outdoor potting soil.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 08:51:44 PM »
I'd never use anything clay- or sand-based in a pot, though both can be OK in the ground.  I'm cursed with heavy clay soil in my yard here, and built a very large (30' long, 4' deep, 6' wide) raised bed with a sand-based soil; the plants in it do OK but the ones in the clay do even better.  (Edit: I've never had luck with clay-based soil in pots- my point is just that what works in the ground is different from what works in pots.)  For many years I've tried clay and sand based soils in pots and they never work as good as a decent peat-based container potting soil.  If you want to grow a plant in a container for a couple years, almost anything (except clay) will work OK; if you want to keep it alive for 5 years or more in a container, nothing beats the gritty mix in my experience.

Kevin
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:22:34 PM by CoPlantNut »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor vs. outdoor potting soil.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 09:47:01 PM »
No you can't. The potting soils were mixed for specific purposes. The outdoor potting soils usually contain composted manure or other animal poops that attract fungus nats.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk