Author Topic: jaboticaba: how to accelerate the first fruit production with a strange method.  (Read 11320 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Here is a picture of my Sabara with double rootstocks. One of the rootstocks are about as thick as my pinky finger and the other rootstock is about as thick as my middle finger. The trunk above the graft union is just slightly thicker than my middle finger. This is quite a thin diameter trunk for a Sabara to be fruiting on. It fruited last year and this year, there is more flowers. This tree is in a small pot and I’m sure it will flower and fruit more profusely if I up potted it and gave it some fertilizer.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
Here is a Grimal grafted on Sabara rootstock. The trunk is about as thick as my middle finger. It has fruited for the past three years. Grafting sure seems to increase the precocity of Jaboticabas.

Simon

hellosf

• View Profile
Simon - Where did you order the rootstock and can post a pulled back shot of the size of your tree? How many years old?

Thanks!

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
My twenty year old jabo

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Damn. Can i get those fruit that's on the floor :D. Whats a "good" spacing for Sabara trees?
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

simon_grow

• View Profile
Here’s a pulled back shot of the Grimal grafted onto Sabara rootstock, it is 32 inches tall, not including the pot.

Here’s a pic of the double rootstock Sabara, it is about 36 inches tall excluding the pot. The rootstocks came from Adam of Flying Fox Fruits Nursery.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
My Double rootstock Sabara is flowering all over now. Oddly, it’s not flowering on the trunk but around the tips of the branches. The diameter of the trunk is still really small for a fruiting Sabara. I believe the double rootstocks really increases precocity.

Simon

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
I would use gibberellic acid solution to try make the trees flower faster instead of harming the tree with nails, metal wires and otther such crazy techniques.

simon_grow

• View Profile
I have GA and have used it in the past but the innarching/ double rootstock technique seems promising. I have used the paper clip technique and it seems to work and even if you leave the clip on it too long, the cambium will just grow around it.

GA is a naturally occurring in plants but I still wouldn’t haphazardly use it without knowing the exact concentrations to stimulate flowering. If the concentration is known, we can try it on varieties that are not precocious.

Simon

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
I have GA and have used it in the past but the innarching/ double rootstock technique seems promising. I have used the paper clip technique and it seems to work and even if you leave the clip on it too long, the cambium will just grow around it.

GA is a naturally occurring in plants but I still wouldn’t haphazardly use it without knowing the exact concentrations to stimulate flowering. If the concentration is known, we can try it on varieties that are not precocious.

Simon

What concentration have you seen success at? How often did you use it?

simon_grow

• View Profile
I used it to germinate seeds. I would like to know myself what concentration should be used for induction of blooms in Jaboticaba.

Simon

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
I used it to germinate seeds. I would like to know myself what concentration should be used for induction of blooms in Jaboticaba.

Simon
Ive searched and it seems nobody did at least a study on GA inducing flowering on jaboticaba.
To induce flowering you have to use a lot less concentration than for germinating seeds.
It works for sure but there could be side effects also .
When il buy somme jaboticabas il try this for sure and post the results .

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
If you withhold N and give extra P and K and make sure zinc and boron are present in sufficient amounts you can increase the chance of flowering and fruiting.
Hi Mike,
I just got  the super triple phosphate from kelp4less is this food sufficient in your opinion, not sure about zinc and boron ?? I would love to entice a couple of red jabos 2 years old and a sabara that has been peeling for 4 1/2 years no flowers yet and unpruned. Is this beneficial, possibly risky to the overall tree health ? I am not exhibiting patience and want some fruit LOL
Of course I want to wait until winter's end and get pushy in the spring.

Happy Gardening,
P J, the Dirt Diva
P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Sabara is a serial ass and might take 12 or so years in your climate. If your red is a red hybrid or a scarlet then we have a shot at faster action. 3 years in good conditions is possible but with cool winters a bit longer. The main thing you need besides good sunlight, watering as required and fertilizer is patience and there is no real magic bullet otherwise.Trimming can slow then down but light pruning of crossed, under-developed and low branches shouldn't delay things. BTW don't go crazy with boron or buy borax for ants and upend it over pot plants as there could be casualties.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Spritzing g3 brought 15 + year old sabaras into fruition for the first time!

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
Thanks for the tips Mike and Bush2beach ...

I have several smaller seedlings ...
2 - 2 yr. old reds and yes they are hybrids I am told
2 Coronata R. about 10 mo. old
1 white
1 pithrantha ESALQ
the sabara is at least 9 yrs old now I give her lots of water and lives in dappled light in a very big pot.

Mike you mentioned sunlight ... I have kept the seedlings in mostly shade  ... at this tender age, should they be getting more sunlight thru the fall ?

I also saw Adam's post about TurfPro and am thinking it helped him double the size of his reds in a single year so it would be good to use also and I think it would be good for my others like Eugenias, Java Plum, Guavas etc. What do y'all think ?

I sure appreciate all y'all helping a Diva out    ;D

P J
P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
As much sun as possible without roasting them.