Author Topic: Which mango cutter works best?  (Read 1266 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Which mango cutter works best?
« on: October 30, 2016, 11:31:43 AM »
I'm curious if anyone has used these tools, and which worked best in your  opinion?
Are there any others you may know of?

video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9aaJa7QJZA

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Which mango cutter works best?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »
OK, you'll have to explain. I'm not getting why this is necessary. A knife works great for me.

If a mango is ripe, I simply score the skin in quarters - once all the way around, and then a second time at 90 degrees so the skin is in 4 equal parts. Then I peel the skin right off, which is easy to do if the mango is fully ripe. I then eat it whole, leaving 1 piece of skin still on the mango for a solid grip. I don't like to leave any waste on the seed so scrape the seed off with my teeth.

For serving, simply cutting the mango close to where the seed should be, and then scoring as shown in the video and running a knife along the base of the skin works really well for chunks.

For a green unripe mango, using a peeler, and then a knife to cut close to the seed, works just fine.

It seems to me that these gadgets leave more waste than cutting directly against the seed based on the individual mango you're holding, and don't account at all for different shapes and sizes of seeds. And then certainly leave more waste than scraping with teeth! :)

What need is trying to be filled with these gadgets? I am at a loss to understand why they exist...

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 04:12:01 PM »
Two cuts along the seed of the mango with a decent knife (I've used steak knives) is as good or better than what this tools do.

However, i do understand if you are processing a bunch of "standard" grocery store type mango then this might be more efficient.
The main issue with this gadget is that crazy people like us are growing quite a few different varieties and they all have different pith shapes.

I find the most tedious process is pealing them.
I prefer cutting the cheeks and eating them off the skin but my family wants it diced.

But by far the third one looked the worse. A ripe mango will turn into mush with that one

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 07:09:42 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts. I have 50 trees and was wondering if anyone had experience with these devices.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk