Author Topic: Fruit protection bags  (Read 5831 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Fruit protection bags
« on: December 19, 2016, 09:40:26 PM »
Was looking for the bags I've seen people using overseas for fruit protection and ran across these which might work. They are the disposable spun-bonded hair nets used in restaurants, and are probably available everywhere at restaurant suppliers. They should be pretty insect tight but would allow good air circulation.
A little tape to seal and good. Has anyone used something like this?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit protection bags
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 09:48:04 PM »
looks like a great idea. 

Good sealing of bags is not necessary--- bugs don't recognize the shape they are looking for behind the bag.
Har

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 11:32:08 PM »
What is used in most locations are organza bags.  Can be found on eBay, amazon or many internet stores.  They come in all sizes. 

There have been a number of threads about them and where to get them from.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 12:11:38 AM »
I've had great success with organza bags. The hat might be good for larger fruits, such as papaya?
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 03:12:22 AM »
I've had great success with organza bags. The hat might be good for larger fruits, such as papaya?

I have found an online store that sells organza bags big enough for papaya.
- Rob

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 08:41:04 PM »
Organza bags... great idea. Work on plums or apples?
 No problem with any of my citrus but plums and apples are nailed by the birds around here.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 08:59:08 PM »
The beauty of the hairnets is they are available in any larger city nationwide off the shelf at restaurant supply stores.
Boxes of 144 ea cost $17.00 or 8.5 cents each.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 09:30:01 PM »
That's a great deal. I might check that out actually.

The beauty of the hairnets is they are available in any larger city nationwide off the shelf at restaurant supply stores.
Boxes of 144 ea cost $17.00 or 8.5 cents each.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 12:29:53 AM »
Dont know that hairnets have true drawstrings.  Most I have seen just have an elastic type of "seal" which would not keep insects out thst well.  I would also question ultimate strength snd durability in the elements.

There is s reason organza bags have been used worldwide.  The cist is not that much greater and you knowvwhat you are getting and dealing with.

Yes, organza bags would work with stone fruits (peaches, plums, spples, etc.).
- Rob

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 03:44:03 PM »
Unfortunately, I can attest that the organza bags do not deter squirrels.  We tried some last year with this hope, only to find they chew right thru them and then on to the mango. 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 08:03:09 PM »
Unfortunately, I can attest that the organza bags do not deter squirrels.  We tried some last year with this hope, only to find they chew right thru them and then on to the mango.

Their use is not for rodents or birds but to keep out the insects.   Unfortunately,  gotta sometimes sacrifice some fruit to the furried and feathered creatures.
- Rob

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 08:54:29 PM »
Can you bag a fruit at any stage before they are ripe?

clannewton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 11:11:48 AM »

Their use is not for rodents or birds but to keep out the insects.   Unfortunately,  gotta sometimes sacrifice some fruit to the furried and feathered creatures.

I have not had any problems with "the feathered creatures" but squirrels, racoons, possums, and even gopher turtles will eat the fallen fruit. 

Baja_Traveler

• San Diego, CA - Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 12:26:52 PM »
This is my go-to place to get wrapping foils for when I chocolate coat macadamia nuts from my trees. I can get foil at half the cost of Amazon - have not made a comparison, but I'd bet the same might be true for the organza bags also...

http://www.papermart.com/standard-flat-organza-bags/id=3163#3163

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2016, 07:09:01 PM »

For me my fruit bag protection was a waste of good money. The clam shells work much better and will buy in bulk if need be. My bags had the highest density mesh and drawstrings as you can see in the pic along with plenty of room so those damn thieves would have to get to the middle of the bag, but they still did. I was looking for a steel mesh before I tried these but could not find any that would work. I really want to design a clamshell with room for a stem to go through the top portion along with air vents. I am now going to try those water protectors that use sensors with high pressure water. They detect from 35 ft away I believe so worth a try.

clannewton

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2016, 08:54:45 PM »
They work for a while then they don't.  They figure out that it doesn't hurt them eventually and then they just ignore the water spray as they take sample bites from several mangoes.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2016, 09:40:23 PM »
I think people are missing the purpose of the organza bags.  They are used to keep insects out.  They are not to prevent attack from rodenfs, birds, mammals or turtles/tortoises.  Their purpose is not to protect fruit from falling or protecting fallen fruit...fruit should not be left on the tree to the poiint where it is dead ripe and falls.

Big problem with clamshells, even with their slits (which provide zero protection from insects), is that they do not get great airflow to the fruit and create a greenhouse effect.  This in itself can be detrimental to the fruit.
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2016, 09:44:38 PM »
The ones I have posted in pic were designed for rodents. I saw the organza bags, they are useless for my purpose since I have no insect issues. I need clamshells strapped with explosives for my issue!!

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2016, 09:52:31 PM »
perfect airflow with the ones I used. Even cheaper ones with no airflow will work by putting prper slits in them. Try not to have a tight fit either. I covered Ice cream mangoes with absolutely zero anthracnose issues and not a blemish on any of them. Use Heritage DF 50 fungicide, a bit pricey, but clean fruit if used properly.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2016, 10:01:54 PM »
You have to put the clamshells on at the last stages once they reach full size but before they give off their ripening aroma and draw in the predators.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2016, 10:27:01 PM »
You have to put the clamshells on at the last stages once they reach full size but before they give off their ripening aroma and draw in the predators.

You seem to be successfully using them in a different method.  I have seen others put them on small fruit and let the fruit grow in them...no bueno.

Really seems there are two different needs here.  One is insect protection  (for guavas, papayas, anonas, peached, etc) and the other for destruction/loss of fruit from predators.
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2016, 10:29:28 PM »
agree totally with you Rob and I see your point!

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2016, 11:18:29 PM »
 Clamshells for strawberries (perfect ventilation) in 1lb  (16 oz) containers are the best for Sweet Tart, lemon Zest and anything smaller. They snap tight and I put another small hole thru the top and tie it to the stem so if the fruit were to fall off, it will not hit the ground and stays on the tree undamaged.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2016, 08:12:27 AM »
To protect my mangoes and ponderosa lemons from the omnipresent fruit flies i  tried with good success the paperbags that are used in Italy for bread.
they are cheap usually  white or light brown color.
They are paper made so perfectly breathable but at the same time resistent to rain/sun and the visually hide the fruits to the terrible scritters and they prevent them from reaching the fruit.

Lorenzo

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2016, 10:47:50 AM »
and what do you do when it rains on them? I use lunch bags for my tomato crops with a simple clothespin but when it rains you are replacing bags that you have on there and also a wet bag on fruit adds to the mold issue significantly, especially if your fruit cracks and you do not see it until it is too late. Of course if it is dry in your neck of the woods, your ok. Then again, if it works for you, you just saved heartache and money which is awesome!! Mango and fruit flies I have never encountered in 24 years of mango growing out my way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk