Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Taichang lemon

(1/5) > >>

Florian:
I was given some seeds of this interesting hybrid and three germinated. I'd like to know how they do with members here since there is not much information to be found on the internet. Apparently, they taste good enough and have some cold tolerance (which isn't surprising considering the parents). Pictures are most welcome.
Thanks!

eyeckr:
I grew tiachang lemon for a good number of years in my backyard and did not think much of the fruit. It wasn't bad but not much more than another sour-ish small sized citrus fruit. My tiachang fruit were the size of a small mandarin. Ichang lemon itself is much more cold tolerant and produces a bigger fruit. I lost my tiachang when we got lower than 12 degrees one year if I remember correctly.

Now that I think about it I always wondered if tiachang is truely a hybrid of ichang lemon and tiawanica lemon because the fruit is much smaller than both 'parent trees' and less hardy than either of them. I'm not sure how you could end up with a smaller fruit if they were bred together? Ichang lemons are the size of a medium sized grapefruit but kind of bell shaped. Tiawanica lemon (sour orange) are the size of a large flattened orange. Somehow I am more inclined to believe that tiachang is more closer to a hybrid of yuzu x some other small mandarin. I also think the seeds of tiachang look more like yuzu seeds.

Florian:
Well, that isn't quite what I hoped for but at least I don't have any false expectations now. Thanks a lot!
What you say about the fruit size and seeds makes perfectly sense.

mikkel:
If I remember right there might be a difference between the european and the US one. I know one palnt in Germany with evergreen leaves. @eyeckr isn`t yours decidious?

Florian:
I received the seeds from the US..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version