Author Topic: I am preparing for a total loss with Hurricane Irma  (Read 4517 times)

TRI433

• Homestead, Florida
    • View Profile
I am preparing for a total loss with Hurricane Irma
« on: September 05, 2017, 05:34:52 PM »
Hurricane Irma is tracking towards southern Florida and I am very  concerned not only about my own property but my neighbors, business, and especially people who live near the coast.  I have three mango trees, three avocados, and four banana plants and these plants may get destroyed by this terrible hurricane.   The avocado tress are not flood resistant  and local commercial avocado farms may get wiped out by a storm surge. My location is Homestead, Florida and could decide to not evacuate and ride the storm out and  risk  death.   It is possible more than 2 million people may be ordered to evacuate in Miami Dade which could result in massive traffic jams while the hurricane approaches.  I  have a very bad feeling about this hurricane and the aftermath could be very painful.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: I am preparing for a total loss with Hurricane Irma
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 05:40:25 PM »
have exit plan and leave early. hope it shifts its path towards the Ocean

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 05:41:56 PM »
Have faith.
 I went to the grove today and which well to my 2700 trees. That is all we can do. after a certain point there is nothing we can do.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 05:46:01 PM »
If there is a high percentage of it hitting your area, you should trim the trees drastically to save them. Either have standing short trees or laying on the ground big trees. You pick.

Move all the trimmings and trash into garage so they wont beat your house up nor your neighbors.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 08:15:21 PM »
Hard to trim branches (see below) within days of the storm. 
Also, may work for a tree or two but not for many with large collections.
Finally, cat 5 level winds will do a number of even what you have left but I get your recommendation to do whatever you can.

If you are in the path in Florida, please make sure you can trim before you do.  There are local laws against creating projectiles just before a storm (tree limbs and cuttings that can get airborne.)

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 11:07:34 PM »
This is a really scary hurricane. I went through Odile and the recently departed Lidia. Tropical storm Lidia did more damage to me than Odile which devastated Cabo and LaPaz. I've been living with hurricanes in this area for more than a decade and noted that predicted tracks can be wrong by a hundred miles or more, so be wary even if it looks like you aren't in the path of the storm. Odile blew cars over and damaged buildings, even the airport. Irma may be stronger. You should be worried about your homes, not just your trees.
Read up on hurricane Andrew which hit Homestead in 1992. It levelled houses. Not trying to be scary, just providing a well-meant heads-up. Be safe and the very best to all of you at risk from Irma. Make sure you have a really safe backup plan.
EDIT: Senior moment - confused Harvey and Lidia. Too many storms to keep straight!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 04:41:45 AM by BajaJohn »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 01:31:19 AM »
Hurricane Irma is tracking towards southern Florida and I am very  concerned not only about my own property but my neighbors, business, and especially people who live near the coast.  I have three mango trees, three avocados, and four banana plants and these plants may get destroyed by this terrible hurricane.   The avocado tress are not flood resistant  and local commercial avocado farms may get wiped out by a storm surge. My location is Homestead, Florida and could decide to not evacuate and ride the storm out and  risk  death.   It is possible more than 2 million people may be ordered to evacuate in Miami Dade which could result in massive traffic jams while the hurricane approaches.  I  have a very bad feeling about this hurricane and the aftermath could be very painful.
Play it safe. Not worth losing your life. That's the most precious thing you have!
Oscar

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 06:56:14 AM »
I myself took a direct eyewall hit from hurricane Andrew.  That was no joke.  Building code back then was not a good as it is now.  Roofs should hold better now.  Irma is forecast to enter FL as a Cat 4.  That will be a little weaker than Andrew so that's better than 185 mph though still pretty bad.  Landfall in Fl at it's current 185 mph wind speeds, well I couldn't even guess at how bad that could be. 

A hit from a storm such as this is such a destructive event it's hard to describe.  EVERYTHING gets damaged or blown away.  Fences, sheds, screen enclosures, cars, vegetation, utility poles, street lights and signs.  Streets become blocked from tree limbs.  I find the aftermath worse than the actual impact, it lasts much longer.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 06:56:42 AM »
Have a plan and remember gas stations near Orlando will be full with so many cars moving north and cars near empty

I suggest getting gas at half tank when most cars aren't in as much need and driving threw Orlando and refuiling above Ocala

Last hurricane evac had people running out of gas on the turnpike

Good luck.  Get The Who's out the what's don't matter

Zarafet

• Southern California 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 08:19:33 AM »
God bless you all. My family in Puerto Rico is bracing for the worst, I'm worried. No going outside to "right" a tree.

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 09:24:41 AM »
My prayers are with you all.
Hope you the best luck.

Remember:
Money and properties are hard to recover, but it can be done. Life not.

Just fight to keep your familly and yourself safe.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:12:29 AM by Cassio »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 09:54:01 AM »
Ditto, God bless you all.  I've been thru a bunch of hurricanes living on the coast and NEVER left, BUT, if I was in Florida I'd get out NOW.

What I don't understand is why the cold front coming in on you guys doesn't phase the path according to the models.  Suggests to me it's so large and powerful it will create it's own weather, path. 

Cold front 48 hrs. out -->  http://www.intellicast.com/National/Surface/Forecast48.aspx

Of course that's low level steering, not mid or upper.

Stay safe Carlos et al! 

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 10:07:19 AM »
I agree with everything that has been  said.....send everyone in Irma's path my sincere blessings. Take cover and take care of your family and yourself.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:16:06 PM by JF »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 01:07:34 PM »
The track seems to be trending more to the east. We may get another close pass like we did with Matthew last year.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 01:52:25 PM »
The track seems to be trending more to the east. We may get another close pass like we did with Matthew last year.

Better use some glasses.  Current track (which can change), is a landfall and major blow to the tri county area.  This will not be pretty for a lot of people.  I sure hope I am wrong but as the days get closer, its looking grim...

If you want to see devastation of 175 - 185 mph winds, google Maho Beach Irma (that video is St. Martin going through the eyewall) and watch either the :59 second clip or the 4+ minute clip.  It wjll make your stomach queasy.
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 02:28:27 PM »
That is mind-blowing Rob. Very sad to see the devastation this storm has already caused.

Most people are rightly scared in our neighborhood.

While the current models predict the core will be slightly off-shore from parts of SoFl, it will still be a nasty weekend and potentially catastrophic if the storm takes a turn for the worse.

We've been through a few, this one has scared me the most.

Stay safe and well everyone.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 02:56:53 PM »
The 12z runs of the GFS, Euro, CMC, Navy all bring the eye (true landfall) over the tri counties.   I fear that the majir players are in place so only ever so slight changes to future track runs.  No matter, this storm is big and bad, due to its size it could be worse than Andrew.

To make matters worse, recent HHuntets data show storm may be deepening or possibky getting stronger.
- Rob

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 04:25:01 PM »

dumb thing to stay

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 05:29:01 PM »
The central pressure I see was listed as 914 mb so it is a serious storm alright at cat 5 or top category in all scales.Your trees may be of lesser concern than life, limb and the home. Trees can be saved if you have time and know there will be a direct hit by a cat 5.They can be staked,propped and pruned to reduced wind resistance and propped back afterwards, Taturo trellised trees survived here with a cat 5 cyclone but others did not do so well.
Good luck to those in the firing line and I hope it dies down soon.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 06:32:56 PM »
Irma says "eye see you" to all of Barbuda (zoom into the center of the eye).

- Rob

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »
Irma says "eye see you" to all of Barbuda (zoom into the center of the eye).

this is deadly. get out of town to safe places guys! no joke!

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 04:16:26 PM »
Please stay safe all you guys in Southeast Florida. I want to see you all alive and well next mango season even if you have no fruit to sell.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango