Author Topic: Diagnosing severity of weed wacking incident  (Read 12531 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Diagnosing severity of weed wacking incident
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »
I agree with Rob that tar seal is bad news. I think mud seal is good news though. Soil has beneficial micro organisms that keep the nasties at bay. Also it's good to block sunlight off the trunk wound. Ofcourse best is to not nick the tree in the first place. Really bad news is to repeatedly nick the tree. I think that really weakens the plants and invites disease problems.

I've never heard of using mud before. I will have to look into that, it sounds interesting.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 06:34:32 PM »
I agree with Rob that tar seal is bad news. I think mud seal is good news though. Soil has beneficial micro organisms that keep the nasties at bay. Also it's good to block sunlight off the trunk wound. Ofcourse best is to not nick the tree in the first place. Really bad news is to repeatedly nick the tree. I think that really weakens the plants and invites disease problems.

I've never heard of using mud before. I will have to look into that, it sounds interesting.

I got the mud as sealant idea from an article in Organic Gardening magazine. They reviewed the tar seal prodcuts and found them not only ineffective but actually injurious to the plants. They suggested instead using local moistened soil on the large cuts. This article must have been 25-30 years ago. So i'm surprised anybody continues to buy those spray on tar seal sprays for pruning cuts?
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 07:59:09 PM »

I got the mud as sealant idea from an article in Organic Gardening magazine. They reviewed the tar seal prodcuts and found them not only ineffective but actually injurious to the plants. They suggested instead using local moistened soil on the large cuts. This article must have been 25-30 years ago. So i'm surprised anybody continues to buy those spray on tar seal sprays for pruning cuts?

You are using the clay in the mud. What happens when the mud dries? Won't break off or wash off? Do you use plastic bag to hold it onto the tree? thanks

Clay can be a healing agent for people

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 10:21:18 PM »

You are using the clay in the mud. What happens when the mud dries? Won't break off or wash off? Do you use plastic bag to hold it onto the tree? thanks

Remember that not all soils are clay soils.  One of my orchards has clay soil and the other not. Both work equally well. I don't use a plastic bag. Once the mud cakes up it holds long enough for tree to heal. I suppose a torrential hurricane style rain could wash it off right after applying. Agreed clay is good stuff for both plants and animals, but what i'm mostly after are beneficial soil bacterias and fungi that are in soil, to help keep the bad guys out. Also all soils will help to block harsh sun rays. If your soil is pure sand then this won't work so well. You will have to mix your sandy soil with some compost.
Oscar

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 11:33:19 AM »
I have had my lawn mowed 3 times and they already have a confirmed kill  >:(

Brandon

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »
I have had my lawn mowed 3 times and they already have a confirmed kill  >:(

How the heck they do that?? dosent look totally dead,but dosent look great either. geez

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 12:17:41 PM »

Remember that not all soils are clay soils.  One of my orchards has clay soil and the other not. Both work equally well. I don't use a plastic bag. Once the mud cakes up it holds long enough for tree to heal. I suppose a torrential hurricane style rain could wash it off right after applying. Agreed clay is good stuff for both plants and animals, but what i'm mostly after are beneficial soil bacterias and fungi that are in soil, to help keep the bad guys out. Also all soils will help to block harsh sun rays. If your soil is pure sand then this won't work so well. You will have to mix your sandy soil with some compost.

I am just reading this now. Thanks for this valuable information. Even your orchard that has sandy soil has some clay content in the soil unlike 99% of SE Florida. Seems the famous Redlands in Homestead Miami has some clay content. "Earth our Cure" was an old book on using clay for various aliments internal and external. http://www.amazon.com/Our-Earth-Cure-Handbook-Medicine/dp/0806510137

Anyways someone threw out a lot of pottery clay so I have some clay on hard for tree wounds otherwise the only clay you see down here is red clay on baseball diamond

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 12:24:20 PM »
The tree looked OK when I showed the damaged trunk to the lawn guy yesterday too.  All the wilting happened overnight.  The damage happened 2 weeks ago or a month ago.

Brandon

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2012, 01:19:18 PM »
The tree looked OK when I showed the damaged trunk to the lawn guy yesterday too.  All the wilting happened overnight.  The damage happened 2 weeks ago or a month ago.

[/quot  Do those cuts go all the way around the trunk?? if not it might make it just gonna set the tree back for a while,ive seen way worse and the trees have made it especially with lychees, trim the dead stuff of and hope!