Author Topic: Bananas and Others....  (Read 3314 times)

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Bananas and Others....
« on: September 16, 2012, 03:43:33 PM »
Steven, here are some of the pics that I promised you I was going to share with you:

I think these are Manzanos

Somewhere inside those Passiflora vines there is a banana bunch

Plantanos Burros

Sugar Cane

Acerola

Pomegranate

My only Sweet Tart

My only Pickering
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:58:28 PM by cuban007 »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Bananas and Others....
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 04:13:26 PM »
Very nice Cuban007....great job!!! fix the sweet tard and pickering pics so we can see them.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 04:19:23 PM »
Great looking trees/plants you have there.  :)
Alexi

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 04:37:21 PM »
Hi Cubano,

Increíble Your slice of paradise looks very tropical and gorgeous...them banana's are enough to feed my Island and export some to the mainland ;D ;D ;D

Cubano,
Check the 2nd photo of the Caña de azúcar. You see that sugar cane with alot of nodes, which i call, 1st generations...is removed after the 2nd generations of canes are starting to grow vigorously. These canes are not fit for eating, but excellent as planting material ;)

Muchas gracias por compartir/Thanks for sharing :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:51:34 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 09:03:15 PM »
Steven - De nada, ahi seguimos en contacto. I will take your advise and remove those old stalks.

Tropicalgrower - Thanx for the compliment. This year was a good year for my banana trees. We did not get a lot of wind.

J - Thanx for the compliment as well. The Mango pics are fixed.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 12:34:27 AM »
Wow Cuban, you yard is beautiful, the bananas look great and the flowers mixed in here and there add some nice color.

thanks for taking the time to post the tour,
-Ethan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 01:29:14 AM »
Nice place you have there Cubano! I think growing bananas in So. Cal. is challenging, and you've done it very well. Your other plants look very happy also. What part of So. Cal. are you in?
Oscar

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 01:48:46 AM »
Ethan, thanx, glad you like them. Some of the flowers are Canna Lilies. I like the tropical feel and color they add  to the yard. You are welcome to stop by anytime.

Thanx for the  kind words Fruitlovers. Challenging it's an understatement with the latest temps being over 100 F. I live in the Inland Empire which is very dry, at times windy with extreme temps high and low for SoCal. My next Banana project will be growing Mona Lisa and Nam Weh.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:02:28 AM by cuban007 »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 02:26:43 AM »
Ethan, thanx, glad you like them. Some of the flowers are Canna Lilies. I like the tropical feel and color they add  to the yard. You are welcome to stop by anytime.

Thanx for the  kind words Fruitlovers. Challenging it's an understatement with the latest temps being over 100 F. I live in the Inland Empire which is very dry, at times windy with extreme temps high and low for SoCal. My next Banana project will be growing Mona Lisa and Nam Weh.

Do you use humidifiers, misters, or anything to keep high level of humidity?
Oscar

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Fruitlovers, it is too much of an area to cover. I water twice a day with a sprinkler system. Interesting that you mention misters. On Saturday I installed a 32' mister system that goes around a small covered patio area on the side of my house for comfort. I also have various annonas planted around that area that benefit from the extra moisture. I think this year the weather has been a lot more humid than other years and it has impacted the plants in a positive way.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »
Fruitlovers, it is too much of an area to cover. I water twice a day with a sprinkler system. Interesting that you mention misters. On Saturday I installed a 32' mister system that goes around a small covered patio area on the side of my house for comfort. I also have various annonas planted around that area that benefit from the extra moisture. I think this year the weather has been a lot more humid than other years and it has impacted the plants in a positive way.

Nice bananas you have ...all that banana greenery is helping humidify your air and provide shade which you might need for some plants. It is hard to get the jungle effect in low-rainfall Southern California but you are getting there. My first banana plant was from Home Depot and it straggled. Then Jeff (cookie monster) took out a large banana path that was shading his yard too much. I retrieved the dug up decimated corms (with no leaves) and planted them. In no time they were sending up stalks and leaves. Got free banana pups from another person too. And before you knew it I have too many banana plants and some are shading my higher priority mangoes.... So I have to cut them back. I never planned to have so many bananas but now I do. Yes I now know that donated bananas can give you nematode problems, too late for that

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 06:51:22 PM »
Thanx Zands, what variety of Bananas do you have ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk