Author Topic: Stone fruits?  (Read 6769 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Stone fruits?
« on: March 27, 2018, 07:29:58 PM »
Hows it looking?  I have most trees doing nothing yet.  A couple starting to flower.  And this florida prince peach is almost ripe!  3 or 4 more weeks to go before they are in season. 

I put in about about 30 stone fruit trees in the last 2 years.  Im starting to think that may have been a big mistake with the weather we had this winter. May have to switch to mangos.

Brad Spaugh

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Stone fruits?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 12:57:00 PM »
My Santa Rosa plum has had a couple of buds open and flower, but most of the tree has not bloomed yet.  My Snow Queen nectarine has not bloomed yet either, but it's in a shady spot while I figure out if I'm going to put it in the ground this year or just up-pot it.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

scottsurf

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 10:23:40 PM »
i live close to the beach and all the stone fruit i have in pots didnt even go dormant guess i got to put them in a really shade spot next winter
the ones in the ground are doing fine thought just breaking dormancy.

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 08:17:11 AM »
It seems all my trees are behind almost a month compared to last year. Arctic star has sporadic blooming.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 11:12:07 AM »
Long Beach Peach growing here in Long Beach is covered in quarter size fruit. Small parts of my Royal Lee and Minnie Royal are blooming. My Red Barron Peach is just starting to bloom. Stella Cherry is still resting.

Bill

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 02:27:06 AM »
I have a Bing cherry that's growing great (no fruit yet) but I did graft on a scion of Minnie Royal. First year on it already had a few druplet fruits begin to form (but they fell off, or maybe were taken by the birds, before further ripening). Also have a Bleinheim apricot that produced 30 fruits the previous winter, and the tree had only been in the ground 3 years.
(middle of zone 10 )

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 07:11:59 PM »
My nectarine, 3 peaches, plum and pluot trees all have small fruit on them now. These are tree's that the fruit ripens between Mid May - August.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:14:17 PM by containerman »

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 01:00:01 AM »
Hows it looking?  I have most trees doing nothing yet.  A couple starting to flower.  And this florida prince peach is almost ripe!  3 or 4 more weeks to go before they are in season. 

I put in about about 30 stone fruit trees in the last 2 years.  Im starting to think that may have been a big mistake with the weather we had this winter. May have to switch to mangos.

My SpiceZee pluot and Mid-pride peace are blooming, doing ok, just like last year.
However, the Flavor grenade pluot and Burgundy plum look still in dormant stage. Could this be because these last 2 require about 350-400 chill hours, compared to the first two that require 200-300 chill hours requirement?

I am starting to think also that I probably should make better use of these 2 unproductive spots for something else...
Sam

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 05:20:13 PM »
I don't know if it would work for stone fruit, or where are few or no chill hours, but I've heard of people picking the leaves off of apple trees to force them into dormancy when they don't do it naturally.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 02:12:56 PM »
We got about a dozen peaches so far.  The tree has maybe 500 on it and so far critters are not getting them!  I have other trees still dormant!

Brad Spaugh

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 03:37:26 PM »
You have one of the earliest Peach I think! Do birds getting to your fruits, Brad!
I placed nettings on SpiceZee pluot and Mid pride peach last year, that worked well to protect the fruits.
By the way, after coming back from going 1 week out of state, I was surprised to see both my Flavor grenade and Burgundy plums finally breaking dormancy.  :)
What other stone fruit trees you have that are still in dormant stage, Brad?
Sam

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 12:56:54 AM »
Of course after I said no critters, the critters come.  When they start getting red I toss a bag on them.  Birds got a few but not bad.  Also use the shiny bird scare tape.

These ones work well
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX5579M/ref=asc_df_B01LX5579M5450316/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01LX5579M&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167123712426&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8628749089203157118&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031301&hvtargid=pla-304309185102

Now there are so many peaches I am letting the birds have a few.  I popped a squirrel with my 410 shotgun today who was going for the peaches.   Wildlife in the yard is a pain.

Evas pride peach is blooming and setting fruit currently.
 Beauty plum and double delight nectarine, lapins cherry, fuyu persimmon, all still dormant.  I put in a lot more stone fruits this year but they are all growing already.  I guess they got their required chill back at the Dave Willson nursery in N CA.  Will have more info on what trees do what next year.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:01:15 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 03:35:55 PM »
My Bing Cherry and pluot have small green fruits on them here in NorCal.
-Kris

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 12:40:05 AM »
My persimmons are breaking bud. Fuyu and chocolate with good growth. Rojo brillante and 2 other grafts pushing.

Giant fuyu died. Rootstock sending shoots

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 01:57:32 AM »
My persimmons are looking good too! Last year the hachiya didn't produce at all but there's some damage to the tree. Lit's of flowers coming in on it though. Fuyu Gabe us so many last year we gave bags away.
-Kris

Eirlis

• Lake Forest, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 04:08:58 PM »
All of my stone fruit trees are 4 - 5 years in ground. My Red Baron peach has ~20 fruits on it. Last year it had 50. My Santa Rosa plum produced sporadic flowers but set no fruit. My Flavor Grenade Pluot flowered a ton and set fruit, then aborted them all. My Flavor Delight aprium flowered a bit and only set a single fruit down low (which my dogs promptly ate, grrr). This is the second year in a row of no fruit from the plum, pluot, and aprium. Might be time to replace them with something more reliable in our warming climate...

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 01:15:57 AM »
both my Flavor grenade and Burgundy plums finally breaking dormancy.  :)

Update: The flowers were plentiful at the time, so looked promising, but only a few turned to fruits
from each...; so yes, I am also considering these 2 in my to be replaced column...
Sam

EJO8

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 06:51:46 PM »
My stone fruits have all been disappointments. It seems the ones that flowered and fruited heavily last year have no fruit set this year. Inca plum looks to be my only constant producer. Some are still young but the majority are eyeing the chopping block to be replaced by sub-tropicals.

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 09:33:02 AM »
My stone fruits have all been disappointments. It seems the ones that flowered and fruited heavily last year have no fruit set this year. Inca plum looks to be my only constant producer. Some are still young but the majority are eyeing the chopping block to be replaced by sub-tropicals.

I experienced the same this year with all stone fruit. Last year it was loaded, branch breaking, needed to be thinned multiple times. This year i got maybe 10 plums on a 5 yr old tree and maybe 20 nectarines on 4 yr old tree. Im thinking that heat wave in january followed by cool weather really messed up the fruit production for me.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 07:39:30 AM »
Come on people, if you want banner crops year in and year out, buy fruit at the store.  Fruit production is highly dependant on climate/weather.  Weather is fluid...so what your trees will do from year to year will vary.  By the  "chop it down cause I didnt get a million fruit" theory, nobody would be growing fruits of any kind.

Oh, 3, 4 and even 5 year old trees, still in the juvenile stage.
- Rob

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 08:20:17 AM »
Come on people, if you want banner crops year in and year out, buy fruit at the store.  Fruit production is highly dependant on climate/weather.  Weather is fluid...so what your trees will do from year to year will vary.  By the  "chop it down cause I didnt get a million fruit" theory, nobody would be growing fruits of any kind.

Oh, 3, 4 and even 5 year old trees, still in the juvenile stage.

Great reminder....i have to keep telling myself this. Growing fruit really challenges my perfectionist mindset (which is a good thing).

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 04:38:07 PM »
I'm having better luck this year.
The plum tree has been productive every year, whereas the nectarines and peaches have been sparse, but better this  year.