Author Topic: Aphids and Neem Oil Destruction on Citrus  (Read 1913 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Aphids and Neem Oil Destruction on Citrus
« on: April 09, 2018, 04:52:47 PM »
I had a lot of aphids, I sprayed a bit heavy neem oil, that caused leaf and fruitlet drop. I thought oh well, at least aphids are gone. after 10 days these suckers are back with an army. what do you recommend? as it will be getting warmer here, neem oil might cause burn.  Thoughts?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Aphids and Neem Oil Destruction on Citrus
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 04:57:42 PM »
Ant control if there are ants patrolling the aphids. The ladybug larvae should be making short work of aphids otherwise. I've been seeing a lot of the small larvae all over veggies and other plants.

For immediate control, I just spray with a soap water solution. It kills most bugs. It could hurt a little bit in high temps. You can always use a tiny but strong jet of water to spray them off during or before the hot part of the day. They might die before they can crawl back up the plant.

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 05:10:37 PM »
I always fight the great battle between ants, aphids and everything in between; particularly this time of year.  I was spraying Neem, but I found it had the possibility of damaging young leaves (if heavily applied) and it wasn't really all that effective.

What I've been using lately is a lighter mix of Neem + an Azadirachtin based OMRI product.  I've used this one, but there are others:
https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-GH2021-Antifeedant-Regulator/dp/B002EBBKAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523307819&sr=8-1&keywords=azamax+quart

Initially, I wasn't too happy with the Azadirachtin "AzaMax" product, but over time I've changed my views of it.  The product doesn't hit with a big punch on initial application, but it seems to do a good job if you repeat apply a few times.  It seems to have the effect of making an area less enticing for the bugs.  It could be hitting their reproduction cycle as well.  Where this product has helped the most for me is in my brassica plots.  Things like Broccoli invariably get overrun with aphids to the point where it's a Fear Factory episode to eat a head, but I've found if I apply AzaMax a few times early in the season, the onset of aphids is pushed back by several months.

It's not cheap though.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 05:52:45 PM »
Azadirachtin is made from neem seeds. A good chemical for insect control on citrus is a  good quality horticultural oil (HO)  HO kills aphids, white fly, scale, mites and mealy bug -- the big five insects attacking citrus..  HO is authorized to use in organic growing practices.  100 percent harmless to humans and animals.

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:15:08 PM »
Hi Millet, yes, Azadirachtin is definitely related to Neem. But from my experience, it's not apples for apples in terms of efficacy.  HO in the off-season is also an excellent suggestion.  I've had issues with those types of heavy oils when the heat turns up and on the "fresher" leaves.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 10:05:04 PM »
Yes, horticultural oils can do some leaf damage if applied at temperatures at or above 85-F.   However, a citrus tree should NEVER  be sprayed during the heat of the day with anything whatsoever, I would certainly not call today's HO a heavy oil. Spray early in the morning, later in the evening, or on cloudy days. A good brand of HO is Ultra Pure HO which is used at 80-grams per two gallons.  Works great.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 12:23:52 AM »
Wrap you trunk with stretchy flagging tape and coat with tangle foot to keep the ants off.  Then spray neem on the aphids. 
Brad Spaugh