Author Topic: Avacodo graft stock ?  (Read 1254 times)

8ofGac

• Texas
    • View Profile
Avacodo graft stock ?
« on: April 14, 2018, 02:04:19 AM »
What type of avacodo is best to use for grafting in clay soil I live in lower northeast Texas.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 02:36:58 AM by 8ofGac »

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Avacodo graft stock ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:13:04 PM »
I use my lila seedlings for rootstock for cold hardiness.  I haven't ran into compatibly problems, but most stuff I graft is mexican or mexican x guat avocados.

8ofGac

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 08:56:22 PM »
Do you have them planted on the ground or in pots ? If you do have some planted in the ground did you mend the soil first ?

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 09:14:09 PM »
All of my avocados are in the ground.  I use mounding methods and some bricked raised beds.  I do amend the soil to make it drain faster that I use on the mounded and raised beds.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 07:15:43 AM »
All of my avocados are in the ground.  I use mounding methods and some bricked raised beds.  I do amend the soil to make it drain faster that I use on the mounded and raised beds.

Have used Florida pits with 100% success, or in the case of one I didn't like, Brogdon, multi grafted to a bunch of shoots that came up from the Waldin root stock after I stumped it.

Corpus Christi has the same black gumbo Victoria Clay Series that Houston has.  Here's a young, bearing Don Gilloughy avocado tree in 2 rows of concrete tree rings in 2004.  Partially shaded too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk