Author Topic: WTB AeAe variegated banana  (Read 1569 times)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
WTB AeAe variegated banana
« on: April 16, 2018, 05:08:12 PM »
Hi all, I'm searching high and low for an AeAe variegated banana.  I know they pop up for sale occasionally on Ebay but does anyone here grow them?  Or know where I could buy one?

Thanks,
Bill

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
Re: WTB AeAe variegated banana
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 02:03:38 AM »
Hey Bill, I have one in my backyard I planted with my daughter last July. I received a corm from Puerto Rico that was about 8" tall. Its currently at about 3'+ of trunk and another 4' of leaves. I have read horror stories about this variety but I haven't experienced any negatives thus far. I do throw a handful of sulfur around the tree to keep the soil slightly acidic. Otherwise it behaves like most bananas. They are very hard to come by so I feel your pain. Good luck, Chris
-Chris

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 10:27:21 AM »
That's exciting. It's good to hear about people having success with this variety. If you have pups in the future that need a new home please keep me in mind.

Bill

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 10:32:27 AM »
Chris, are you growing it in full sun or part shade?  Seven feet of growth in nine months over winter is very good growth. You definately are doing something right.

Bill

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 03:15:20 AM »
Bill, the banana is on the south side of my yard in front of some kind of magnolia (small leafed variety). So, I would say it is in full sun...it's about 4ft away from the south wall so it gets Winter sun as well. I've been throwing the various (dead) banana leaves under the tree for added nutrients since last year and they have completely decomposed. I think city water and soil Ph is the main concern with this variety. I plan on moving to a serious R.O water for the trees on/near the back patio this summer. Good luck, Chris

P.s I too thought about the varigation vs sun exposure (thing)...I just threw it down with the best possible stuff and hoped for the best! I have very low expectations. Chris
-Chris

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 03:17:52 AM »
Bill, if I get pups I will let you know. Good luck. Chris
-Chris

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 10:32:01 AM »
Thanks for the info. Please do keep me in mind if you get any pups.

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk