Author Topic: All About Fertilizing Mango Trees  (Read 3019 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
All About Fertilizing Mango Trees
« on: April 20, 2018, 12:41:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YznnrvmLfuE
All About Fertilizing Mango Trees  -- From Chris at Truly Tropical in Delray, Florida in Palm Beach County
Mangos in South Florida benefit from nutrients that are not naturally available in local soils. Of course there are many mango trees that look healthy and produce nice fruit without intervention, but providing additional nutrients can improve the health and productivity of your tree, and the quality of your fruit.

First, there is an overview of the macronutrients and micronutrients important to mango trees. Then, Mr. Har Mahdeem, a tropical fruit tree expert, discusses the different types of conventional and organic fertilizers available for mango trees. Mango trees at different ages and stages have different fertilizer requirements.

Finally, Chris talks about what fertilizers we use at Truly Tropical and how to properly apply fertilizer to your mango tree. Har Mahdeem has a consulting and tree care business in Palm Beach and Broward County. Among other things, he applies fertilizer to tropical fruit trees. To contact Har, call (561)-523-6599.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YznnrvmLfuE

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:58:56 PM by zands »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: All About Fertilizing Mango Trees
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 02:24:40 PM »
Good video. Zero input dooryard orchards are sort of in vogue among modern fruit tree growing neophytes (I was once a subscriber to the philosophy myself :-), but you really do want to manage the nutrition of your trees for maximum quality and production.

Har is a great resource. He taught me most of what I know. Very highly recommended. I bring him out a couple of times per year for a paid consultation -- which is something I strongly recommend to other forum members in the South Florida area. Prices are very reasonable.
Jeff  :-)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 02:39:44 PM »
Good video. Zero input dooryard orchards are sort of in vogue among modern fruit tree growing neophytes (I was once a subscriber to the philosophy myself :-), but you really do want to manage the nutrition of your trees for maximum quality and production.

Har is a great resource. He taught me most of what I know. Very highly recommended. I bring him out a couple of times per year for a paid consultation -- which is something I strongly recommend to other forum members in the South Florida area. Prices are very reasonable.

Now that my mango trees are mature I have gone zero input except for adding on new tree trimmers mulch the last two years. I have not wanted to add nitrogen. But last month I was able to get two 50lb bags of 0-0-50 granular potassium sulfate at Universal Supply in Broward. So now I will start using it in addition to mulch on mature mango trees.

But the Har formulated potassium centric fertilizer with minors (I believe) mentioned in above video is superior to the 0 0 50 I bought

If I had young mango trees I would not be so hands off. They definitely need a good chem fertilizer/with slow release nitrogen and minors/ and I would be out there applying it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:44:08 PM by zands »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 04:15:06 PM »
Mango trees will survive and produce without external input here, but peak production and quality is obtained with good cultivation practices, including irrigation in times of drought, fertilization (generally without nitrogen), pruning, and fungicide treatment.

Tree trimmer's mulch is great, but over time it will lead to Ca and micronutrient deficiencies (I've written about this topic on several other threads). So, you really want to use it in conjunction with a fertilization regimen.

0-0-50 is great if all your soil lacks is K. Generally, it's trickier than that though. Too much K, for example, can lead to a deficiency of Mg (and Ca I believe). Iron, zinc, manganese and several other micronutrients tend to be in short supply here.

And if you have trees other than mangoes, many of those do want nitrogen.

The products showcased in the video are all excellent.
Jeff  :-)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 07:40:08 PM »
This season I have a large amount of wood ash burning stumps and seedy brush. I've been dusting soil around all trees with it for potassium. Not enough for pH to get affected but I had it on hand for free and needed to make use of it.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 10:42:03 PM »
Wood ash also adds Calcium, Magnesium, etc.--- a little of everything except Nitrogen.
Har