Author Topic: Kasturi mango ?  (Read 3298 times)

8ofGac

• Texas
    • View Profile
Kasturi mango ?
« on: April 20, 2018, 06:56:18 PM »
Anyone own a kasturi mango tree ? They say it's not an actual mango but a type of mango it's origin is Indonesia.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Kasturi mango ?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 08:05:46 PM »
I have one.  Hasn’t fruited until this season.  Holding a whopping 3 fruit 😂

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 09:56:01 PM »
I have one and it’s growing nicely, probably more than 5m high and maybe a 4” trunk.  It’s about 3 years old and still no fruit.
How old is the one with 3 fruits?
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 11:10:06 PM »
I have several trees. They have all been fruiting for several years. They are all laden with fruit right now, bus still green. Its a good tasting fruit, very similar to mango, but quite a bit smaller. Best thing about it is it does not get anthracnose, so will fruit dependently, without spraying, in rainy areas.
Oscar

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
I have one and it’s growing nicely, probably more than 5m high and maybe a 4” trunk.  It’s about 3 years old and still no fruit.
How old is the one with 3 fruits?
Peter

3 gallon grafted from Fairchild planted in ground 2012.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 07:54:54 PM »
Is kasturi true to seed?
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 08:35:06 PM »
Is kasturi true to seed?

I acquired a seed from Sleepdoc and it has three sprouts, is polyembryonic. In my climate, no dry season, I look forward to decent flowering and fruit set.  I have seen reports of seedlings fruiting within 4 years. Tipping, girdling, bending branches to vertical should all help. I also thought the fruit tasted good, although tiny.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 09:57:02 PM »
Hi Future... i'm trying to decipher your answer. haha  is that a yes it is true to seed??  i got a seedling tree from my friend micah here in Hawaii and just planted it..  feels weird planting a seedling "mango" thats not grafted.. but i was under the impression they grew true to seed.
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 11:22:41 PM »
Hi Future... i'm trying to decipher your answer. haha  is that a yes it is true to seed??  i got a seedling tree from my friend micah here in Hawaii and just planted it..  feels weird planting a seedling "mango" thats not grafted.. but i was under the impression they grew true to seed.
There might be some variation, but you will definitely get a good fruit. When Future says they are polyembryonic he means seed will make multiple sprouts, some of the sprouts will be identical to mother plants. , others will have variation.
I have both a seedling kasturi and a grafted kasturi. My seedling kasturi produces better quality fruits and more of them. I think right now the only reason to graft kasturi is to get faster production. In the USA nobody has yet selected improved cultivars. That is possible in the future. It sure would be nice to see cultivars with larger sized fruits. It's a very nice fruit, but they are a bit small.
So definitely plant Micah's tree. It's especially good at your higher elevation. Much more consistent bearing there than mango.
Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 11:28:56 PM »
Has there ever been a hybrid cross with indica ?  that sure would open up a lot of possibilities.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 03:31:03 AM »
Thanks Oscar.  I can’t wait. Seems like a delicious fruit. Micah also mentioned that the fruits fall off the tree when they are ripe which kind of confused me. Cause don’t regular mangos do that too?   He made it sound like the fruit was easier to harvest cause ait falls off when it’s ripe. But wouldn’t it bruise like a mango does?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 07:16:49 AM »
The trees get as big as standard mangoes and they taste pretty well like a mango.A friend has a couple of trees that have fruit a bit larger than usual and they should be small and green on the trees right now and ripening in December.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 08:37:23 AM »
Growing a grafted kasturi, its about 6 feet tall or more. In ground.

Not sure if it will work or not, but planning on grafting kuini on top of kasturi.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 05:46:39 PM »
Thanks Oscar.  I can’t wait. Seems like a delicious fruit. Micah also mentioned that the fruits fall off the tree when they are ripe which kind of confused me. Cause don’t regular mangos do that too?   He made it sound like the fruit was easier to harvest cause ait falls off when it’s ripe. But wouldn’t it bruise like a mango does?
You can pick them off the tree when purple, or wait till they fall off the tree. They don't break down like mangoes. If you will for a mango to fall it is usually moosh, or it is full of fruit flies, or full of bug, or bruised. The kasture is a lot more resilient. I can pick them up off the ground a few days after they fall and they are perfectly fine. I think that may be because they don't get the fungus (anthracnose), and are smaller, lighter, and harder to bruise. Also they don't fall when totally soft, they will still be a little bit hard textured.
I like them a lot. They have a very intense mango taste and smell that is very appealing to most people, and little fiber. But the biggest advantage is consistent fruiting in rainy climates.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 05:51:25 PM »
Has there ever been a hybrid cross with indica ?  that sure would open up a lot of possibilities.
Yes that would be the ultimate type of hybrid, to give mango total or partial resistance to anthracnose, and expand the growing areas to more  wet-tropical  climates. I think there has been very little work on this. Dr. Zee here explained to me that the mangifera flowers are very small, have to be hand pollinated, and very few set fruit....so it is extremelly labor intensive.
I believe that Fairchild Garden's Richard Campbell and Noris Ledesma were doing some hybridization work? But i don't know the details?
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 08:38:57 PM »
Some details of their caging to create crosses has been posted...somewhere. At a Fairchild festival Dr. L talked about tricking bees by placing the wild mango flowers at the hives base. Apparently one smells sweet and the other musky. If I recall, bees prefer sweet but would go for musky by strategic cut flower placement...and then reverse to the other plant creating opportunity for a cross.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk