Author Topic: Brewster lychee from Mexico 1.99lb at most Asian stores in Oc  (Read 2304 times)

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
heads up lychee lovers I even found a store was on sale for 1.39lb. 50%of it was mehhhh 10% was top notch fragrant and very yummy the other 40% was yummy....all in all for 1.99lb it's a steal. I'm pretty sure it's Brewster=big seed very juicy and has that rosy fragrance to it

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Brewster lychee from Mexico 1.99lb at most Asian stores in Oc
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 10:01:41 PM »
I'm curious how they treat lychee -- is it hot water treated or irradiated or nothing?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 11:00:26 PM »
I’ve found some great Lychees as well, there were some Mauritius and a few Brewster that snuck into the clamshell box. The Brewsters were much better than the Mauritius or whatever it was. Lychees have been super cheap this year at $1.99-2.99 per pound in the San Diego area.

Simon

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 11:44:27 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 12:02:42 PM »
Where are you finding the lychees simon?
Shane

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 06:55:58 PM »
Shane they are at lucky seafood or other asian stores in mira mesa.  Simon was nice enough to give us some and they are great.  My 3 year old just ate a whole pound.
Brad Spaugh

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 11:40:02 PM »
moral of story don't let them chew on the seeds especially unripe ones....that being said me being an adult I ate 2lbs last night....survived and went back and bought another 3lbs this afternoon hahahhaha

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 11:54:44 PM »
Haha yeah we will contine to eat them.  Its a rare treat here and my sons favorite foods are mangos, lychee, and sushi with fish eggs.  Kid has some fancy taste buds and doesnt chew on unripe fruit or seeds.
Brad Spaugh

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 11:40:21 PM »
No, the latest investigation pinpointed pesticides as the cause of the death, since those children peeled off the skin by biting into the exterior. They were using some dangerous pesticides on the lychee trees.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 11:52:24 AM »
Many years ago I also read the report on pesticides/Fungicides used on Lychees. I was shocked to see all those agents being used on Lychees, even those allowed for Fruit being brought into the USA. Another good reason to grow your own.

Simon

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 02:17:35 PM »
No, the latest investigation pinpointed pesticides as the cause of the death, since those children peeled off the skin by biting into the exterior. They were using some dangerous pesticides on the lychee trees.
Many years ago I also read the report on pesticides/Fungicides used on Lychees. I was shocked to see all those agents being used on Lychees, even those allowed for Fruit being brought into the USA. Another good reason to grow your own.

Simon
It sounds like this could occur regardless of location grown & pesticide spraying or not...

Unripe lychee seeds & unripe Akee .... wiki:::
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylene_cyclopropyl_acetic_acid
Ingestion of the unripened ackee fruit containing such a concentrated dose causes what is known as Jamaican vomiting sickness. Depending on the severity of the case, the symptoms range from headache, rapid heart beat and sweating to dehydration and low blood pressure stemming from intense vomiting, to delirium and coma, and finally seizures and death.[7] The symptoms stemming from lychee poisoning are near identical, both being caused by MCPA, with lychee seeds also containing methylenecyclopropyl glycine (MCPG), a homologue of Hypoglycin A.

Metabolic pathway & various breakdown products listed in the wiki... Avoid Hypoglycemia....
https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/is-litchi-poisonous-heres-how-toxins-in-the-fruit-killed-children-in-bihar-1655251
"To prevent illness and reduce mortality in the region, we recommended minimising litchi consumption, ensuring receipt of an evening meal and implementing rapid glucose correction for suspected illness,"

It appears in the above article of children & lychee::: *Eating an EVENING MEAL was credited with lowering the chance of past & future hypoglycemia events during the night*

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 03:09:43 PM by palmcity »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk