Author Topic: Are Pitangatuba Self-fertile?  (Read 1812 times)

Island_Three

• Zone 8
    • View Profile
Are Pitangatuba Self-fertile?
« on: June 18, 2018, 06:26:50 PM »
Quick question: Are Pitangatuba self-fertile? 

I have a single 2.5' plant that has been thriving indoors under lights. Over the past two months, it has been blooming and shows no signs of stopping. I have been hand pollinating with a paintbrush, but no matter what time of day I pollinate, the flowers fall a week after bloom with no signs of fertilization. Is there a trick I'm missing?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Are Pitangatuba Self-fertile?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 06:55:08 PM »
I have had a single plant for a year, one flower and one fruit so yes, they are self-fertile.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 07:24:07 PM »
Yes, they are.  Let it grow some more

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 07:35:41 PM »
some have issues with self-incompatibility, and may virtually never set fruits, i think because the flower opens up, and receives its own pollen immediately, which is incompatible, and also making the situation worse, it blocks the reception of any viable pollen from another donor plant...the solution i've found is to grow several seedlings instead of just one seedling, or make sure the mother tree you got your seedling from is known to set lots of fruits in isolation, from a young age.  And the final solution I've found, is to topwork a non-produtive tree, with scions from one that is known to be productive.

most of the trees that have these issues seem to be from the original stock that was imported over 30yrs ago, the recently imported stuff from 2005 to now, seems to be of superior quality, in terms of productivity, and flavor.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 07:52:05 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Island_Three

• Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 07:43:21 PM »
most of the trees that have these issues seem to be from the original stock that was imported over 30yrs ago, the recently imported stuff from 2005 to now, seems to be of superior quality, in terms of productivity, and flavor.

I actually picked it up from you FFF in Feb. :D I heard you had the best around and like I said, it's growing great. Fingers crossed that it doesn't have any self-incompatibility issues! If so, I might have to get ahold of some pollen from another plant.

Thanks for the fast responses all!

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 09:07:17 PM »
I've been trying for literally months to buy pitangatuba plants from Flying Fox Fruits.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 10:09:32 PM »
If this is the first time it flowered I wouldn't worry, if it is still doing it next year
But what the heck if you like the fruit get another plant or two or ten.

Island_Three

• Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 06:03:56 PM »
I'd love more, but I'm living in an apartment so my space is limited! I'll wait it out and see what happens.