Author Topic: A few recent Mango grafts pushing on first day of Summer  (Read 2456 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
A few recent Mango grafts pushing on first day of Summer
« on: June 21, 2018, 05:05:29 PM »
Here’s a few recent Mango grafts that are pushing. These scions are grafted onto random Mango seedlings that I purchased at a local nursery and they were not in the best of shape but I was desperate. Grafted are Pineapple Pleasure, Sweet Tart, Fruit Punch, M4, Peach Cobbler, Ugly Betty, Juicy Peach, Brahm Kai Mia, Mun Khun See, Providence and Ice Cream.
Ice Cream just starting to push on a rootstock with not a single leaf

One of each of these varieties will be planted at our orchard at Spaugh’s place

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: A few recent Mango grafts pushing on first day of Summer
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 05:20:07 PM »
nice Simon, we are getting good warm weather and I hope we dont go straight to 110 degrees,

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »
Congrats!  Nice grafts Simon, 
I too did a few grafts.  My pineapple pleasure x 3, fruit punch x2, Sweet Tart , Lemon Zest x2 are pushing.
I also have a few that are looking like they should be pushing real soon.... Piña Colada, Lemon Meringue, Ice Cream, Maha Chanok,  Carrie.
Question... Do you have yours in full sun or in partial shade?

vincenton

• US, West Covina CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »
Simon,

They look good, how old are these seedling?

Vincent.

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 06:04:39 PM »
nice Simon, we are getting good warm weather and I hope we dont go straight to 110 degrees,

Hey Behl,

Here is a picture of the Sweet Tart graft you did for me in late April

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 06:08:34 PM »
Nice selection! I like the clothespin idea i've never seen that before.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 07:09:53 PM »
Thanks everyone, I got the scions from Squam256, Skhan, Zands and Sleepdoc so big thanks to all of them for making it possible. I’m guessing most of these are about 1 year old because most of them have about 2-3 growth flushes on them and they aren’t branched yet.

The weather has been weird here with cool days followed by extremely hot days. We have a heatwave this week and my plants are in full sun so I’ll find out in a couple days which ones really took and which ones should have been left in my garage longer.

I do most of my grafts on potted trees in my garage so that I can control the intensity of the light and also to keep them warm at night. I forgot to mention I also have grafted J12, Lemon Zest, Castori, Cotton Candy and probably a few more I forgot.

I’ve been using clothes pins ever since I started grafting because I don’t like the rubber bands. The rubber bands get destroyed by the suns UV rays and cleft grafts can spread open.

I did a bunch of cleft grafts, side cleft grafts, veneers and a few bud grafts. Bud grafts are the only ones not pushing yet but they have been green over one month and look like they’re about to push.

Here’s a multigraft tree with Lemon Zest cleft graft on top and Sweet Tart side cleft graft below the Lemon Zest. I put the Lemon Zest on top because it’s blooms are susceptible to Powdery Mildew and in my yard, both LZ and ST get Powdery Mildew but ST will still set fruit with the PM where as the LZ usually doesn’t.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 07:16:24 PM »
that's how I do my girdles a clamp.....easy to remove

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 09:54:33 PM »
Thanks everyone,

Also grafted are J12, Angie and Piña Colada.

Yeah, the clothespins are super easy to adjust, put on and remove. I use multiple clips and remove the lower ones as the days progress to allow for better sap flow one I feel the Union is at least partially healed.

Simon

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 10:15:33 PM »
Excellent Grafts. You started earlier than I.  Our weather here in SoCal can be quite mild until mid summer so glad to see your early May grafts took. Will also be trying J12 along with Seacrest and Phoenix next month in July.

Best of luck

Johnny

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »
So I walked the yard today and...after at least a dozen previous failed graft attempts, I found one pushing today.  It is one of two Okrung on Spirit of 76 seedling rootstock.  I used foldable razor blade buddy tape and thanks to Simon...a clothespin instead of rubber band.  Budwood sat for quite a few weeks, even thought tree pushed new growth on all other branches.  One graft has turned black but this one is looking good.  Thanks Simon.

You only ever get your first take once.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 02:21:31 PM »
Future, I’m glad the scions pushed for you. Spirit of 76 is a great mango! The clothespins work well and are easy to remove.

Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 12:39:53 PM »
Future, I’m glad the scions pushed for you. Spirit of 76 is a great mango! The clothespins work well and are easy to remove.

Simon

Thanks Simon!  I checked my records and did the graft Sep 1st:  7 weeks ago.  How do you determine when to remove the clothes pin?

Thanks to the Truly Tropical YouTube channel subscriber who reccomended foldable razor blades:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YAORKRI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1